Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Park City info

Park City info

Headed to Park City next week for a few days. Looking for advice on where to ski/ what to avoid/ etc.....and yes I know I should be skiing Alta or the Bird but it’s a family trip and it’s the whole epic pass thing. Staying in Park City next to 3 Kings lift. Also looking for best route from Vail to PC. BTW- kid is a ripper so the good terrain is fine for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

If your family cares about Covid safety a PCMR vacation will be tricky. The resort basically does nothing to enforce mask wearing and even with the reservation system the lines can be crazy on the lower lifts this year. Other Utah resorts are doing a much better job. If you're skiing mid-week this is much less of an issue.

My strategy is to start early and make a beeline towards Jupiter or 9990 lifts. They have the highest elevation, best snow and best terrain. More importantly, they are relatively empty because both chairs only service double black terrain most people are weeded out.

Been a few years, but I always had a good time there.
    Some favorite runs that are not off Jupiter or 9990 would include Apex Ridge, Canis Lupus, Deschutes and Thaynes trees.

If the weather is good it will be fastest to go through Rangely/Vernal. If the roads suck, better to go Green River/Price/Spanish Fork. Be prepared for a fast food wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If the weather is good it will be fastest to go through Rangely/Vernal. If the roads suck, better to go Green River/Price/Spanish Fork. Be prepared for a fast food wasteland.
    THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS

los jilbertos is in price (technically wellington) and it is some of the best (greasy cheap) mexican food in utah. 10/10 highly recommend it.

Second the route through Vernal. Vail - Glenwood Hot Springs – Rifle. Hopefully you’ll be here during the week. Like everywhere else in Utah, skiing has been crowded on the weekends. Anyway since you’re staying at the pcmr side, I would head up payday to Bonanza down to Thaynes, Up Thaynes to MacConkey’s. See how Everyone is doing and the snow, then either lap MacConkey’s or head to Jup. Day two make it over to the bottom of silver load and then take the gondola over to the Canyon side. Depending upon how everyone is doing, you can ski iron Mountain and Dreamcatcher and 9990. If you want to spend the day at canyons and the snow is good, take a few laps on super condor. The condor woods have been skiing good
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Ray's Tavern in Green River is NEVER a fast food waste land.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    THOSE ARE FIGHTING WORDS

los jilbertos is in price (technically wellington) and it is some of the best (greasy cheap) mexican food in utah. 10/10 highly recommend it.
    Duly noted.

Great info so far....thanks and keep it coming if folks have more to add

ROLL TIDE ROLL

I enjoyed the heck out of Jupiter Bowl when I was last there, kind of like a mini-Highlands Bowl.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    If your family cares about Covid safety a PCMR vacation will be tricky. The resort basically does nothing to enforce mask wearing and even with the reservation system the lines can be crazy on the lower lifts this year. Other Utah resorts are doing a much better job. If you're skiing mid-week this is much less of an issue.
    If they make it from CO to PC without getting COVID then PC will seem super safe. I've been doing the drive from Montrose-SLC 1-2x/month since August and let me tell you, there must be a mask shortage between GJ and SLC. Avoid stopping in Utah county at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Ray's Tavern in Green River is NEVER a fast food waste land.
    Rays is just frozen burgers everyone loves for some reason. It's not bad, it's just overrated. Tamarisk is legit in Green River. Tacos La Pasadita is quicker for on-the-go, friendly owners too. You can eat outside there to avoid the noid. There are two breweries near Price as well, Crosscut will be better, groggs is average.

Didn't Dantheman recommend some mexican place between wellington and Price once?

And don't forget all those sketch jerky stands on Soilder Summit, etc.

Tacos El Gordo, in Vernal, is also some amazing Mexican food. It was a food cart at a gas station, now it is inside the gas station. Never been to park city

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    There are two breweries near Price as well, Crosscut will be better, groggs is average.

Didn't Dantheman recommend some mexican place between wellington and Price once?

And don't forget all those sketch jerky stands on Soilder Summit, etc.
    I haven't been to Crosscut yet. Also, it should be known that Groggs no longer brews their own beer, its not exactly clear, but you are drinking Uinta. Food is pretty decent though.

DTM was probably talking about los jilbertos. The original one right in Wellington was destroyed in a semi accident, they are now in an old gas station south of town.

I wonder if their is any relation to the Jillbertos in Glenwood? When I go to the desert, I just skip the grocery. I just get about 5 burritos per day and call it good.

Yo, don't forget you can go to Snowbasin with your Epic Pass and walk straight up to the lift. You should go there for at least one day.

Take I-80E to Hwy84.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If they make it from CO to PC without getting COVID then PC will seem super safe. I've been doing the drive from Montrose-SLC 1-2x/month since August and let me tell you, there must be a mask shortage between GJ and SLC. Avoid stopping in Utah county at all costs.
    Wife is vaccinated and I travel all over CO, WY, and MT.....many places I go seem to have never heard of Covid.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Wife is vaccinated and I travel all over CO, WY, and MT.....many places I go seem to have never heard of Covid.

Yeah, then you know lol.

X2 on spending a day at Snowbasin. That's a fun hill.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Been a few years, but I always had a good time there.
    Some favorite runs that are not off Jupiter or 9990 would include Apex Ridge, Canis Lupus, Deschutes and Thaynes trees.
    Canis Lupus is an overrated, often dangerous, luge track. Nearly broke my arm sliding down that icy creek bed trying to avoid a fallen tree (fallen, as in cut down). Sucks because Condor Trees are a blast. Just not worth the Canis Clown Show exit 🤡

3rd on hitting Snowbasin, place rocks and they have granite walls in the shitters and great food!
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

He skis Vail on a Saturday. PC should feel like a haunted hill.

Wow! That Vail Resorts just keeps on improving the skier experience. I remember when you had to park in the village structure and take a long and strenuous walk up Bridge Street to the gondola line. But last Saturday, guests needed only to walk down the stairs, and there was the line right there by the covered bridge! “Epic” convenience I say!

Chris Mech

Vail

Hell yes, you can go to Snowbasin on a powder weekend day and ski right onto the lift. Littlecat has the best trees, just steep enough to get the heart pumping. If you feel up to it hit up the Wildcat handletow, Orson’s comes down from there and can get pretty steep.

I highly recommend everyone avoid the Park City and Cottonwood shit shows and head up to the vacant slopes of Snowbasin, just keep the secret to yourself, please.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Second the route through Vernal. Vail - Glenwood Hot Springs – Rifle. Hopefully you’ll be here during the week. Like everywhere else in Utah, skiing has been crowded on the weekends. Anyway since you’re staying at the pcmr side, I would head up payday to Bonanza down to Thaynes, Up Thaynes to MacConkey’s. See how Everyone is doing and the snow, then either lap MacConkey’s or head to Jup. Day two make it over to the bottom of silver load and then take the gondola over to the Canyon side. Depending upon how everyone is doing, you can ski iron Mountain and Dreamcatcher and 9990. If you want to spend the day at canyons and the snow is good, take a few laps on super condor. The condor woods have been skiing good
    Just pointing out that this guy lives there. Your staying at a nice place right in town. Not everyone can afford that. Your going to have a good time
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post

I highly recommend everyone avoid the Park City and Cottonwood shit shows and head up to the vacant slopes of Snowbasin, just keep the secret to yourself, please.
    Damn you.

I wish it were still a secret and uncrowded on weekends.

And that they got 2-300" more snow a year.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    He skis Vail on a Saturday. PC should feel like a haunted hill.
    TRUTH

ROLL TIDE ROLL