Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me pick a low DIN binding for my light, lovely, capable wife

Lovely wife has some new Prodigy 2.0s. She weighs 112ish. She believes her old SPX 12s aren't a good color match. Yes, this is my life. Need some bindings for the damn things. She runs her DIN around 6 - yup, she's light. She doesn't really charge but skis pretty much anything smoothly and strongly including the tightest, steepest stuff in-bounds in CO, UT and WY.

We had been running SPX on everything so that she and our daughter could share skis (23.5 vs 22.5 boots) but that is not a concern on these new ones so I have more clamp options. So what do we all think about low DIN bindings? She does not need metal IMO and won't break anything. She just doesn't generate the force.

Finally, we currently run all Look/Rossi bindings because I know how to mount, adjust and repair those (something like 10 pairs of Axial, SPX and Pivots) but I'm open to widening our stable. I have to admit I'm a little bit of a creature of habit, so don't know much about the Looks in comparison to anything else.

Options:
    Look SPX 12
    Look Pivot 12
    Attack 11s?
    Other?

Not that interested in:
    Markers
    STH (I just have a personal think against them, not super rational)

What should I get and why? If I stuck with Looks, what the benefit of Pivots vs SPX one way or the other with low DIN settings?

Have Attacks and SPX 12s Mrs. Cs skis and she doesn't comment on either which means they are working just fine for both. Not much to add other than I'm happiest skiing when she's quiet about her gear.

SPX are fine. NX too, at that weight - I think I have a pair of those in a brown color, if those are of interest.

Pivot / FKS weigh a lot more and I don't see any advantage for someone who skis at 6 DIN.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My opinion is that unless you know you care about bindings, it doesn't really matter. I'd go to the evo website, filter out the high din, then have her pick 3 bindings that match her skis. Then pick the ones that have the most adjustment and a good price. I don't really think you can go wrong at that din. That way you can be fix the issue of them not being the right color instead of getting into technicalities that don't really matter.

SPX 12’s can be found for a great deal this time of year.
    That was my go to light weight, economical binding when I was on the shop floor.

What colour are you after?

I'm a big fan of the Look/Rossi bindings, so I'd stick with the SPX. Corbetts has the SPX 10 for $140 CAD. Hard to beat that.

https://www.corbetts.com/brands/LOOK.html

For people that care about subtleties of how a binding actually skis, Pivots are best.

For people that just need a way to attach their boot to their ski, Salomons. They hold up reasonably well, the brakes aren't fussy bullshit like the pivots, they're easy to step into, and probably most importantly they have a very positive entry and exit (you get a nice click / kachunk when your boot goes in). The entry / exit is "snappier" than any of the Look / Rossi bindings I've tried, which matters when a lightweight skier is trying to get their ski back on on a sidehill in soft snow.

6 replies without requests for pics of wife. What has this place become?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not thicc enough for all the chubby chasers around here.

Maybe make a good binding suggesting, and then check your PMs

black will make her ass look smaller

just sayin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If she is familiar with SPX, and you can find them in the right color, I'd stick with them. Less chance for here to find something she doesn't like about the other clamps. They come in some "interesting" colors and work well. There is also a reason that many years ago the Rossignol Group moved from Pivots to PX/SPX on all their race skis right up to the highest levels.

I have a bright pink pair on my Bibby's right now and they do just fine connecting my fat ass to the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

just sayin
    Unless she's about 4'1", 125 cm for you loonies, I doubt that is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    My opinion is that unless you know you care about bindings, it doesn't really matter. I'd go to the evo website, filter out the high din, then have her pick 3 bindings that match her skis. Then pick the ones that have the most adjustment and a good price. I don't really think you can go wrong at that din. That way you can be fix the issue of them not being the right color instead of getting into technicalities that don't really matter.
    ^^^ This. (insert local shop/site for evo as applicable).

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Unless she's about 4'1", 125 cm for you loonies, I doubt that is a concern.
    well the color of her present bindings aren't really a concern either

unless of course she thinks it is

well the color of her present bindings aren't really a concern either

unless of course she thinks it is
    Clearly, you have not met my wife. She sleeps with new gear in the bedroom for god's sake. Shiny "pretty" gear is to her what jewelry is for other women, I have learned over the years.

just sayin
    She actually has a sticker on her helmet that says "Does my ass make these skis look fat?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Maybe make a good binding suggesting, and then check your PMs
    You are not helping.

Just an FYI, one of our pairs of skis used by the Plug family women is mounted w/ Marker Squires, and the women love the lightweight, and they hold fine, but they don't give the great click like a Salomon or Pivot, esp. when struggling in powder. They like the SPX better for this.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

They are all fine, including new Marker Squires (2021 and newer, next year will have a metal toe bridge like the Jester and the step-in problems are fixed) and the STH2 (also the Warden 11). Who makes the color she wants?

You may not be able to adjust the P12 to fit the daughter's boot . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Clearly, you have not met my wife. She sleeps with new gear in the bedroom for god's sake. Shiny "pretty" gear is to her what jewelry is for other women, I have learned over the years.

She actually has a sticker on her helmet that says "Does my ass make these skis look fat?" .
    ski gear is probably cheaper than jewelery, way more useful

and obviously size matters

ski gear is probably cheaper than jewelery, way more useful

and obviously size matters
    Dunno man: road bikes, mtn bikes, ski gear, surf board, skate/xc/downhill ski gear, snowboard, camping gear, climbing gear, running shoes, etc etc. Jewelery might be cheaper.

Less fun for me though.

its your cross to bear,

instead of a hair & nails chick

you got a binding chick

its your cross to bear,

instead of a hair & nails chick

you got a binding chick
    You're not wrong.

So what color does she want to go with her skis- red ones that may help her go faster or what? You state a binding that is not as adjustable (demo or system plate type of setup not needed)

Plenty of max 10 to 12 din bindings out there.
    If she wants bindings that are sort of sparkly like jewelry then maybe these should be considered:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-FCJD03...on=1000%7C1500

You wrote off Marker's but I'm a lightweight that has skied a couple pairs of Squire ID's hard with no issues and they come in tons of colors.

Sidebar, does anyone know if attack 11/12 and 13 share the same hole patterns

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.