Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WTB: entry level jong cross country bike

hey mags,

i'm new to biking but i'm interested in starting this summer, and i thought i'd post up here to see if anyone is upgrading and has an older bike they would sell me. i don't know what the fuck i'm really looking for, but i hope these details help?

- size large frame
    - full suspension, 4" of travel or so (i'm open to the right hard tail, as well)
    - 1x11 or 1x12 drive train
    - light enough to go uphill for a long time
    - $2k to $3k

anyone holding something like that? also any advice on what bike i should buy would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all.

Looks like you are setting yourself up well to avoid Mallwalkers struggles. But I'm sure he'd give you a deal on his bike

I'm not sure what availability is going to be like but the Ibis Ripley AF is right at the upper end of your cost limit and could be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Looks like you are setting yourself up well to avoid Mallwalkers struggles. But I'm sure he'd give you a deal on his bike

I'm not sure what availability is going to be like but the Ibis Ripley AF is right at the upper end of your cost limit and could be a good option.
    Damn, yeah, that looks like a sweet bike.

What sort of things do I need to be considering here? $3k seems super reasonable, but do I need to go out and reserve one of these right away from my LBS? Is it worth the upgrade to the NGX components? What else would I need to upgrade on this?

Since you mentioned you’d be open to a Hardtail, think hard about where you’re going to do 95% of your riding, because if you can get away with a hardtail you’ll save a ton of money and have shit ton less maintenance.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Set aside extra money for gear (shoes, helmet, gloves, etc)

The Ripley AF would be a fantastic option. The used market in SLC is crazy right now but check out pinkbike as well as KSL and see what you can find. Feel free to send any to me in PM, I've been selling bikes for over a decade and just helped a good friend get into a fantastic bike we found used.

As far as components go, at the prices you're looking at, you should be able to get a bike with (Sram)NX or (shimano) SLX, maybe GX/XT used if you can find them.

Transition Smuggler, Santa Cruz Blur, Specialized Epic, Ripley AF, lots of Fezzari's floating around KSL right now too.

Few options:
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/61924460
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62862392
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62867011
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62870071
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Damn, yeah, that looks like a sweet bike.

What sort of things do I need to be considering here? $3k seems super reasonable, but do I need to go out and reserve one of these right away from my LBS? Is it worth the upgrade to the NGX components? What else would I need to upgrade on this?
    Others know a lot more than me but the 12 speed Deore components are pretty well thought of in reviews. I'm not sure the best way to go about ordering. Good luck!

the new shimano stuff is leaps and bounds better than the lower end SRAM stuff, in my opinion, everything else looks good but that will have heavy wheels, etc. I'd estimate the weight of that Ripley AF in a large, with Deore, will be ~30lbs. at least. My ripley (with some heavy parts) is 29lbs with the carbon frame which is ~1-1.5lbs lighter than the aluminum frame. There would be better used options out there if you're looking for a true XC bike to go uphill on.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Ripley AF doesn't exactly qualify as a XC bike.

Buy Smmokan's GG. Seriously, you probably won't find anything close to that good a bike for that price right now.
    Like it or not, you're going to get dragged kicking and screaming into this just like it's an espresso maker and grinder. The parallel is so similar.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^sadly true. Expensive habits ain’t cheap. That said there’s always someone around to say it can be done more cheaply. For me about the bike, I’ve been riding the same 29’er for years. I’m no great rider but I paid less than $3k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    The Ripley AF would be a fantastic option. The used market in SLC is crazy right now but check out pinkbike as well as KSL and see what you can find. Feel free to send any to me in PM, I've been selling bikes for over a decade and just helped a good friend get into a fantastic bike we found used.

As far as components go, at the prices you're looking at, you should be able to get a bike with (Sram)NX or (shimano) SLX, maybe GX/XT used if you can find them.

Transition Smuggler, Santa Cruz Blur, Specialized Epic, Ripley AF, lots of Fezzari's floating around KSL right now too.

Few options:
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/61924460
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62862392
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62867011
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/62870071
    Buy the Blur. That’s your bike. I had various Blurs for years before I went to more travel. Fantastic bike, especially for someone who likes to climb. Which is why I rode one for so long.

This is your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Buy the Blur. That’s your bike. I had various Blurs for years before I went to more travel. Fantastic bike, especially for someone who likes to climb. Which is why I rode one for so long.

This is your bike.
    Thanks. Is $3500 a fair price for that bike? Should I be worried about the two crashes on the one Phall sent over?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Thanks. Is $3500 a fair price for that bike?
    If it's stock that's the S trim, $4400 new: https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/blur-my19

Normally 80% of MSRP would seem a little high for a used bike (even 1 year old in great condition), but given COVID I think all the usual rules are out the window. Note that you lose the frame warranty buying used though (covers original owner only).

Should I be worried about the two crashes on the one Phall sent over?

No. Mountain bikes are made to crash.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

Unless it’s a Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Unless it’s a Yeti

Heh.

Pretty much. Check for cracks in the carbon frame if there are any noticeable shots to the clear coat.

But I’ve gone through stages where I’ve crashed 10-20 times in a month. No worries. Mtn bikes can take abuse.

Bodies sometimes less so.

Thanks. Is $3500 a fair price for that bike? Should I be worried about the two crashes on the one Phall sent over?

I would agree that the Blur is the direction you seem to be wanting - uphill prowess, but still downhill capable for an intermediate rider (vs a true XC/race bike requiring more skill for fun/survivable dh). Smmokan's GG is a killer deal and would be a super fun bike, but if you're looking for your mtbing to mirror your ski touring (long days, lots of uphill, efficiency over dh capability) the Blur would be the ticket.

The 2019 Blur for $3500 is a good deal in the current market. The other $3500 Blur with two crashes could be a good deal, but it depends on the build and condition. The end of the listing states "everything has been rebuilt lately;" that could be major upside or signs of a bigger problem. The Tallboy is a good deal at $3100; but quite a bit more weight for some added capability for downhill : ~29lbs vs ~25 for the Blur; I'd guess 31lbs on the Trail Pistola build.

Buy Smmokan's GG. Seriously, you probably won't find anything close to that good a bike for that price right now.
    Like it or not, you're going to get dragged kicking and screaming into this just like it's an espresso maker and grinder. The parallel is so similar.
    Seriously. If you decide in June it's too much bike or you don't like biking you can sell it for what you paid. If not more.

Yeah, just looked at that thing, thats a smoking deal for that basically brand new bike. More than you want, but if you've got the fitness, you'll be fine climbing it and you will have way more fun coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Yeah, just looked at that thing, thats a smoking deal for that basically brand new bike. More than you want, but if you've got the fitness, you'll be fine climbing it and you will have way more fun coming down.
    it definitely seems like a smoking deal, but it's also pretty far beyond what i had budgeted. uuuggghhh!!

if i had a couple more months to save i would be all over it!

WTB: entry level jong cross country bike

I’ve got a Trek Rumblefish2 I’m not using; it’s older, but therefore cheaper. It’s a 2X, Deore XT. Might make a nice base for a build, cheap? If interested pm me.

It’s this model, but Trek branded:

http://twentynineinches.com/gary-fis...-final-review/

just an update - i found a Fezzari Signal Peak Pro locally for a good deal, and i'm gonna pick that up

i figure the Fezzari bike will give me good street cred with the mormon bros here

thanks for all the advice and help

Carbon wheels & bars, XX1 drivetrain, you've stepped right past the entry-level stuff and directly into the high end. Nicely done, might as well start on a great bike and embrace your descent into the great money pit that has swallowed us all! You can start by burning the tires if the stock ones are still on there...
    115/120 will get you anywhere you want in the Wasatch. It might not be ideal for reckless ass-hauling but for your first season on the bike it's probably better.

If you're interested I will happily guide you around some truly heinous shit and sandbag you into all kinds of dumb rides starting in the spring. I keep trying with MW but he won't leave the Shoreline, maybe you'll be more receptive to the appeal of other strips of dirt
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise