Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Just to add my opinion to the others, but I'd lean towards the Evil over the Fezzari, even with the component difference.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Following vs. Fezzari is like ATK vs Dynafit (sorta)
    a better comparison would be Down vs J Skis

well regarded high end boutique vs customizable but still mass produced mail order

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Re: GX vs XX1, if it's your first foray back into biking you will have no baseline and GX will work more than well enough. That's what I had on my first bike and I was too busy wondering how I had ever tolerated a 3x9 drivetrain to focus on the small shortcomings of 1x12 GX. Once I swapped the drivetrain to Shimano XT I started to notice big differences.
    If you had been on XX1 or XT before you would probably not want to go back to GX but in your case you'll feel like you're doing magic every time you hit the shifter.
    As snowaddict pointed out you can always upgrade later if you have very strong feelings about GX. And jme2 is correct, there are better places to dump money than drivetrain/brakes if they're not beat to shit.
    This would be true for most people but you underestimate Tgapp's nitpickiness

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    This would be true for most people but you underestimate Tgapp's nitpickiness
    If that's the case he is well and truly fucked once he falls into the bike rabbit hole... And based on various discussions in tech talk you are probably right
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

If that's the case he is well and truly fucked once he falls into the bike rabbit hole... And based on various discussions in tech talk you are probably right
    Guys, please, my wife lurks on tgr and if she sees this thread she's going to put an end to this whole endeavor. I told her that I would buy one bike and be done with it, and she believed me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

There’s your mistake. It’s not “Just One Bike”, it’s “Just One More Bike”.

The nitpicking new rider would do well to have his SRAM 12sp (any version) tuned by a shop.
    Bonus points for getting the shop to walk you through the process, but we can do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Guys, please, my wife lurks on tgr and if she sees this thread she's going to put an end to this whole endeavor. I told her that I would buy one bike and be done with it, and she believed me.
    Oh you don't need multiple bikes to have a problem, one is more than enough... Hell, you're already thinking about carbon wheels.
    As for appeasing the better half, Ms Boissal has the exact same bike I have. I even bought hers first. Mostly cause I wanted to get my hands on the thing and build it to get an idea of how nice or not nice it was. Once satisfied I got one for myself.

What I'm saying is that you should look for a 2nd Evil for her.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

This is why you create new identities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    This is why you create new identities.
    Wait, are you telling me your name isn't Mike Tnwriter or something? Cause I am Bobby Oissal and tgapp is, well, probably easy enough for Ms Tgapp to figure out!

I'd go with the evil - you can always upgrade parts as they piss you off/break, but changing frames over is a much more involved endeavor. I go quality frame/fork first, then worry about the other things as a distant second.

Cause I am Bobby Oissal and tgapp is, well, probably easy enough for Ms Tgapp to figure out!
    I thought you were French, but your English is impeccable.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

thanks guys, I am beyond stoked. really appreciate all the advice. anyone who wants to participate in a royal jong sandbagging this summer is welcome, I'll even bring beers (do frenchies even drink beer??) to my own demise

Name:  A5BF04DC-3907-4D11-83DE-F3410894B1E6.jpeg
Views: 1446
Size:  135.7 KB

It looks like you had a dead body in the trunk. Where's the body, man?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It looks like you had a dead body in the trunk. Where's the body, man?
    heh, that's the previous owner

murder seemed to be the more budget friendly option

Whats going on with the BB? All dirt I hope...
    Enjoy your new steed.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Whats going on with the BB? All dirt I hope...
    Enjoy your new steed.
    It's just a red gasket/seal. Not even dirt.

Everyone knows that red seals are faster.

I'll even bring beers (do frenchies even drink beer??)
    Don't get all kevintheskier on me please...

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I love a good beat down. Count me in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ha, all i remember about you is that you hate that one rogue beer. fair enough, no judgement

my daily drinker is sam smith nut brown, so i'm not a cool kid with your fancy hipster west coast IPAs and whatnot, but i do like beer a lot
    Last edited by tgapp; 02-18-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: weird multiquote thing

Bumping this as the time has come for me to buy a bike. I'm no longer able to keep ignoring the pleas of my friends to get into the mtb game. My objective is to have fun while getting a decent workout and not killing myself.

After doing a fair bit of research and chatting with folks smarter than me, I'm focused on the following bikes. I'm also leaning heavily toward an aluminum frame. What else should I be looking at or why shouldn't I be looking at the ones on the list?

Orbea Occam H spec - would love to find an H10 but those seem hard to come by. Maybe buy an H20 and upgrade as I go?
    Ibis Ripley AF - seems like a winner. However, based on some feedback it sounds like this might require a rider with better skills than I currently have.
    Revel Rascal - intrigued by this bike and like the idea of supporting a smaller company. However, it seems like big money for something I'm going to suck at
    GG Trail Pistol - see above

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Bumping this as the time has come for me to buy a bike. I'm no longer able to keep ignoring the pleas of my friends to get into the mtb game. My objective is to have fun while getting a decent workout and not killing myself.

After doing a fair bit of research and chatting with folks smarter than me, I'm focused on the following bikes. I'm also leaning heavily toward an aluminum frame. What else should I be looking at or why shouldn't I be looking at the ones on the list?

Orbea Occam H spec - would love to find an H10 but those seem hard to come by. Maybe buy an H20 and upgrade as I go?
    Ibis Ripley AF - seems like a winner. However, based on some feedback it sounds like this might require a rider with better skills than I currently have.
    Revel Rascal - intrigued by this bike and like the idea of supporting a smaller company. However, it seems like big money for something I'm going to suck at
    GG Trail Pistol - see above
    Your big challenge will be finding one in stock. Find whatever you can in the 29'er trail class locally and demo it. There's a few different "philosophies" around bike design and handling, one will feel more right than others - a lot is personal preference as most bikes these days are light years better than anything 5-10 years older. Once you find the one you like, hone in on what's available and the part spec that feels workable. 90-95% (or more, but we won't admit it as we'd buy fewer bikes if we did) of riding is the rider, not the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    90-95% (or more, but we won't admit it as we'd buy fewer bikes if we did) of riding is the rider, not the bike.
    As skiers we are inclined to agonize over equipment because small changes in ski kit make big differences, but its a lot harder to tell the difference between similarly designed bikes which you mentioned. In these times its hard to find a good deal on most bikes but luckily most bikes are pretty damn good.

Good advice. To complicate this further, I'm apparently right in between L and XL sizes at 6'1 - 6'2ish. Not seeing a whole lot of XL bikes in stock anywhere.

At 6' 2" you're not between sizes. Get an XL. Except Santa Cruz. Then get an XXXL