Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    How much of that route would you estimate is hiking
    Mu understanding is that very little of it has to be walked. I've been told the ridge has technical sections but is mostly on the bike. The climbs are steep and sustained but not unridable as long as you don't redline yourself. Caveat: this info was given to me by a known sandbagger who loves to suffer and doesn't mind pushing/carrying the bike.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

the aforementioned crew has all the beta.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Mu understanding is that very little of it has to be walked. I've been told the ridge has technical sections but is mostly on the bike. The climbs are steep and sustained but not unridable as long as you don't redline yourself. Caveat: this info was given to me by a known sandbagger who loves to suffer and doesn't mind pushing/carrying the bike.
    A couple of walking sections, but not many. The switchbacks on BL peak are one small section. The section just south of the North Ogden divide road has a few hike a bike sections too. Most people do that ride from north to south. The views and the feeling of exposure (without being super exposed) on the section between Willard and BL are awesome.

I’m in for a good long walk...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Some variation of that ride has been on my to-do list for a while. This thread has really taken a great direction lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    How much of that route would you estimate is hiking
    The Perry climb gets right to the business. The first third-ish of a mile is technically rideable but really stout and pretty narrow with exposure in places. I usually end up walking most of that just so I don't blow myself up right from the start. After that it mellows out a bit and is mostly pretty nice climbing to the White Rock junction. Some of the switchbacks are blown out by the motos.

After White Rock there's a 2-mile section that is rideable grade but the motos skip it so it's totally overgrown. 100% hateful bushwacking HAB. Then you break out on the shoulder and it's mostly rideable again until the Willard road. Moto churn on the switbacks is often an issue. Great views, usually no one around on this part. Lots of false summits and feels like it goes on forever.

The Willard road is all rideable but usually a gong show of motos, SxS's, trucks, and anything else with a motor. The spring is so clutch, it would be tough to carry enough water for this ride without it.

The first half mile or so off the Willard road is mandatory pushing, then it gets rideable again as you get close to the ridge. The ridge is mostly rideable (and amazing, so much relief on both sides), though at that point you're 5,000+ vert deep and "rideable" may have taken on a new meaning.

If you're solo, looping it via 89 is totally doable and actually my preferred way now. I'm not fast and cover the pavement section in an hour of easy spinning. You're usually doing this early morning on a weekend so traffic is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The Perry climb gets right to the business. The first third-ish of a mile is technically rideable but really stout and pretty narrow with exposure in places. I usually end up walking most of that just so I don't blow myself up right from the start. After that it mellows out a bit and is mostly pretty nice climbing to the White Rock junction. Some of the switchbacks are blown out by the motos.

After White Rock there's a 2-mile section that is rideable grade but the motos skip it so it's totally overgrown. 100% hateful bushwacking HAB. Then you break out on the shoulder and it's mostly rideable again until the Willard road. Moto churn on the switbacks is often an issue. Great views, usually no one around on this part. Lots of false summits and feels like it goes on forever.

The Willard road is all rideable but usually a gong show of motos, SxS's, trucks, and anything else with a motor. The spring is so clutch, it would be tough to carry enough water for this ride without it.

The first half mile or so off the Willard road is mandatory pushing, then it gets rideable again as you get close to the ridge. The ridge is mostly rideable (and amazing, so much relief on both sides), though at that point you're 5,000+ vert deep and "rideable" may have taken on a new meaning.

If you're solo, looping it via 89 is totally doable and actually my preferred way now. I'm not fast and cover the pavement section in an hour of easy spinning. You're usually doing this early morning on a weekend so traffic is minimal.
    Everyone who's mentioned that ride to me has done it N to S. Would starting at the S end be even worse? Sounds like the trail is better traveled and you could deal will all the moto choss at the end going down?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Based on what I see on the North Shore: Megatower

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    Based on what I see on the North Shore: Megatower
    The overbiking going on in the industry is confusing. Maybe it’s new riders with aspirations, or people compensating. That’s one place that I could see that being a reasonable option, but the amount of folks riding 160+ bikes in PC is funny.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    The overbiking going on in the industry is confusing. Maybe it’s new riders with aspirations, or people compensating. That’s one place that I could see that being a reasonable option, but the amount of folks riding 160+ bikes in PC is funny.

Agreed. It used to be a geo thing for me, but obviously not anymore. Short of riding bike parks I don't know where I'd need more than my trance around the Wasatch.

Everyone who's mentioned that ride to me has done it N to S. Would starting at the S end be even worse? Sounds like the trail is better traveled and you could deal will all the moto choss at the end going down?
    Riding up Pioneer West probably wouldn't be that much fun. People definitely do OABs on N. Skyline so that part can't be that bad. N. Skyline seems like a much more fun descent than Perry. There's a lot of switchbacks on Perry. It would be interesting to try it that way and see how it feels, but I also fucking love descending N. Skyline.

For the longer P2P route you posted with S. Skyline and Lewis included I think N->S is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Riding up Pioneer West probably wouldn't be that much fun. People definitely do OABs on N. Skyline so that part can't be that bad. N. Skyline seems like a much more fun descent than Perry. There's a lot of switchbacks on Perry. It would be interesting to try it that way and see how it feels, but I also fucking love descending N. Skyline.

For the longer P2P route you posted with S. Skyline and Lewis included I think N->S is definitely the way to go.
    This. I ride north and south Skyline as out and backs and the climb up N Skyline has very loose corners from motos, wheel spin while climbing sucks up a lot of energy, coming back DH it doesn't bother you much. South Skyline on the north Ogden divide side has sections that suck both uphill and down so I figure I may as well do the hike a bike uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post

Probably the same folks who ride 115+ underfoot skis every day

Overbiking? Fuck that. I pick the bike that works for me. I love going downhill fast & slow, tech & jumps. I HATE climbing. I’m sure as fuck not going to buy a bike that makes climbing a little better if it makes downhills a little worse. Because I won’t notice a shitty climb being slightly less shitty. But I’ll sure as shit notice a sick descent that’s less awesome because I’m underbiked.
    We each pick what we want. Making assumptions about how other riders are wrong because they do it different is stupid.

However many are in a shit ton.

all of this conversation about overbiking vs underbiking has me worried.

still planning on picking up that signal peak pro, but at 4.5", i'm concerned that i'll want some more cushion for the pushin' after a few months. still, reviews say that the geometry doesn't feel nervous going down, and the bike sounds like it's a ton of fun, so we'll see. i reckon i can sell it later if i find out i need more bike.

and yes, i would love to get together with other utah biking mags, if only to be made a fool on my new dentist bike. it's okay, my ego can take it.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    all of this conversation about overbiking vs underbiking has me worried.

still planning on picking up that signal peak pro, but at 4.5", i'm concerned that i'll want some more cushion for the pushin' after a few months. still, reviews say that the geometry doesn't feel nervous going down, and the bike sounds like it's a ton of fun, so we'll see. i reckon i can sell it later if i find out i need more bike.

and yes, i would love to get together with other utah biking mags, if only to be made a fool on my new dentist bike. it's okay, my ego can take it.
    No way doood! Buy that thing and ride it like you just stole the Millenium Falcon. You'll love it and it'll love you back. Then you'll hate it, and love it and hate it again all in the same ride. Then you'll break something, or yourself!
    Over time you'll be ready for the inevitable upgrade and/or second bike and by that time you'll know what flavor you want to try next. Each experience informs the last. Remember me dipping a toe into espresso. I needed to get the experience before I knew which way I wanted to grow the obsession and buying a one machine over another wouldn't have necessarily changed a thing. Thee "overbike" debate is akin to people arguing between $3000 grinders. You'll get there in your own time!
    Have fun. Full stoke, full speed ahead with blind enthusiasm.

Okay one more dumb question, and then I promise I'm done.

Right now I am torn between either The Signal Peak Pro that I mentioned previously, or an evil following. The Signal Peak Pro is kitted out much nicer, but the following is a grand cheaper and it seems like it's a bit more of an all-around design. GX level components and alloy rims.

Thoughts? Sorry, I know that I'm overthinking the hell out of this.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

That evil is a fantastic bike, if it were me and you’re looking for a good wasatch all-rounder, get the following. You’ll have more fun in Moab and on the rowdier trails that way.

You definitely won't get any love from the mormon bros with an Evil...
    My understanding of the Following is that despite not having much more squish than the Fezzari on paper, it's a much more capable animal all around. And it will automatically make you rad while the Fezzari is very white bread.

You definitely won't get any love from the mormon bros with an Evil...
    My understanding of the Following is that despite not having much more squish than the Fezzari on paper, it's a much more capable animal all around. And it will automatically make you rad while the Fezzari is very white bread.
    ++ thanks boissal and Phall. the $1k in savings also doesn't hurt.

are GX level components an okay trade off? Will I miss out too much on the XX1 eagle spec? that's the only thing giving me pause.

the evil seems like a more all-around oriented bike, which seems like a good place to start. i can always go more XC or more enduro-oriented later, like jm2e pointed out

I appreciate all of your advice, thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

WTB: entry level jong cross country bike

That evil is definitely a better bike. The GX 12 speed stuff is a bit finicky but I'm not sure if the higher end SRAM 12 speed solves that or not. For the $1k difference you could put a new drivetrain and brakes on it.

Following vs. Fezzari is like ATK vs Dynafit (sorta)

GX stuff is solid.
    Use the $1k to pay for tires, broken parts and not putting off suspension service.

Re: GX vs XX1, if it's your first foray back into biking you will have no baseline and GX will work more than well enough. That's what I had on my first bike and I was too busy wondering how I had ever tolerated a 3x9 drivetrain to focus on the small shortcomings of 1x12 GX. Once I swapped the drivetrain to Shimano XT I started to notice big differences.
    If you had been on XX1 or XT before you would probably not want to go back to GX but in your case you'll feel like you're doing magic every time you hit the shifter.
    As snowaddict pointed out you can always upgrade later if you have very strong feelings about GX. And jme2 is correct, there are better places to dump money than drivetrain/brakes if they're not beat to shit.

^not disagreeing with either one of you. That reminds me, I should schedule suspension service for the wife's bike, you know, in case I ever need to ride it .

Re: GX vs XX1, if it's your first foray back into biking you will have no baseline and GX will work more than well enough. That's what I had on my first bike and I was too busy wondering how I had ever tolerated a 3x9 drivetrain to focus on the small shortcomings of 1x12 GX. Once I swapped the drivetrain to Shimano XT I started to notice big differences.
    If you had been on XX1 or XT before you would probably not want to go back to GX but in your case you'll feel like you're doing magic every time you hit the shifter.
    As snowaddict pointed out you can always upgrade later if you have very strong feelings about GX. And jme2 is correct, there are better places to dump money than drivetrain/brakes if they're not beat to shit.
    cool, actually getting the shock service done before picking the bike up. i'll probably call the shop and have them give the bike a once-over to make sure everything else is in good working order.

i think i might follow boissal down the chinese carbon wheel path once i get upgradeitus...