Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I love a good beat down. Count me in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just an update - i found a Fezzari Signal Peak Pro locally for a good deal, and i'm gonna pick that up

i figure the Fezzari bike will give me good street cred with the mormon bros here

thanks for all the advice and help
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Carbon wheels & bars, XX1 drivetrain, you've stepped right past the entry-level stuff and directly into the high end. Nicely done, might as well start on a great bike and embrace your descent into the great money pit that has swallowed us all! You can start by burning the tires if the stock ones are still on there...
    115/120 will get you anywhere you want in the Wasatch. It might not be ideal for reckless ass-hauling but for your first season on the bike it's probably better.

If you're interested I will happily guide you around some truly heinous shit and sandbag you into all kinds of dumb rides starting in the spring. I keep trying with MW but he won't leave the Shoreline, maybe you'll be more receptive to the appeal of other strips of dirt
    Ha! It won't be the first time I get sandbagged by you (lookin' at those routes at the Jungle...) but I just don't have the good sense to say no. I would love to take you up on this when your knee is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I love a good beat down. Count me in.

maybe make this part of a mag-reunion? i feel like i'm gonna get my ass kicked here.

--

Now comes the fun part of trying to save up for accessories - I know these are all dumb questions, but do I want a roof or a hitch mounted bike rack? Can I get by in grippy approach shoes + flats for now, or should I get a set of clipless pedals and proper shoes? How important is MIPS when it comes to mountain biking?

Hitch
    Flats
    Helmet coverage and fit > mips imo

What size are your feet? I may have a pair of shoes for you, cheap, and potentially a set of pedals as well. If not, and you have some five ten or similar sticky approach shoes you'll be ok on flats for a bit, but you will quickly advance to wanting clipless for efficiency.
    Bike rack: if you have an aftermarket crossbar setup on your vehicle already, adding a bike tray with a fork or full front wheel mount is a great option, if you have a hitch, hitch rack (tray style) is by far the most common now, and the most secure in my opinion. The rack kind of comes down to budget and what you have on your car already. Hitch and no bars? get a hitch rack, bars but no hitch? roof rack. Or, in the back of the vehicle is pretty common if you're looking to save some coin too.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

What size are your feet? I may have a pair of shoes for you, cheap, and potentially a set of pedals as well. If not, and you have some five ten or similar sticky approach shoes you'll be ok on flats for a bit, but you will quickly advance to wanting clipless for efficiency.
    Bike rack: if you have an aftermarket crossbar setup on your vehicle already, adding a bike tray with a fork or full front wheel mount is a great option, if you have a hitch, hitch rack (tray style) is by far the most common now, and the most secure in my opinion. The rack kind of comes down to budget and what you have on your car already. Hitch and no bars? get a hitch rack, bars but no hitch? roof rack. Or, in the back of the vehicle is pretty common if you're looking to save some coin too.
    All this.

And get MIPS. Way more important on dirt than on snow. Very easy to find cheap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    All this.

And get MIPS. Way more important on dirt than on snow. Very easy to find cheap these days.
    copy that, i'll pick up a decent MIPS lid, one that fits, etc etc

yep, i've got aftermarket cross bars AND i have a hitch. i guess the best move is to find whatever is reasonably affordable on KSL then?

i'm a size 9.5/10, and i would be super stoked on that if you've got the right size! let me know, thanks man!

how long until it's MB season??

Hopefully its many many months before MTB season...

But if you want to skip the skiing that is finally getting good you can ride Eagle Mtn and Antelope most of the winter

And before you ask, don't bother with the crest until late June

OK, they might be a little snug, but I'll be back in UT March 1 and we can arrange a try on.

copy that, i'll pick up a decent MIPS lid, one that fits, etc etc
    At this point there's zero reasons not to get a MIPS-type helmet. It's easy to find on sub-$100 helmets now. I have a TLD A1 I love, but there's lots of good helmets and they don't all fit all heads.

yep, i've got aftermarket cross bars AND i have a hitch. i guess the best move is to find whatever is reasonably affordable on KSL then?
    Do you have garage? How tall is your vehicle? The odds that you will eventually drive into a garage with the bike on the roof are high. Getting bikes on a roof rack can suck if you're not tall and/or have a tall vehicle. Roof carrying also crushes your fuel economy on road trips. Thus, hitch is generally preferable, but a roof tray is much cheaper (until you drive into your garage...).

how long until it's MB season??
    It's prime riding season in St. George right now.

ETA:

1. I own a pickup specifically to avoid dealing with racks. But, between me, my kid and his multiple bikes, his friends and their multiple bikes, and their dads I'm often hauling 6+ bikes. One bike is a different beast.

2. You're going to dig riding (until you crash anyway). Never have to worry about dying in an avalanche, the up mode/down mode transition is one push on the dropper lever and a few clicks on the shifter, and every day is a powder day that never gets tracked out.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-11-2021 at 02:38 PM.

If you're interested I will happily guide you around some truly heinous shit and sandbag you into all kinds of dumb rides starting in the spring. I keep trying with MW but he won't leave the Shoreline, maybe you'll be more receptive to the appeal of other strips of dirt
    In!

A Wheeled Mags of the Wasatch summit would be fun! Send the Crest for fun and add something utterly miserable on the back end to balance things out.

Tgapp, I have a 30% discount code for Bell if you're interested in their helmuts. It's from their crash replacement program when I cracked my Sixer MIPS last season. I highly recommend that model if it fits you, it kept my brain inside my skull when I smashed it on the ground. Also looks reasonably not-dorky.
    For the rack, hitch mount for sure, 1UP rack if you don't want something that weighs a million pounds. Other option: a 29er is size large fits in the back of Forester with only limited tire marks on the upholstery. Cheapest option if you ride solo.
    For pedals, I'm a major hack and have been riding clipless for 25 years, couldn't survive without being attached to the bike. If you're starting might as well go with flats.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damn...I was just today looking at AirBnB's in St. George/Hurricane for next month (spring break) and there is a massive number of them and they are dirt cheap but I don't think I can swing 11 hours with the kids in the car quite yet.

A Wheeled Mags of the Wasatch summit would be fun! Send the Crest for fun and add something utterly miserable on the back end to balance things out.
    If I'm around, I'm in! +whatever on hitch rack. Get a decent tray rack, or you'll just wind up selling whatever cheap rack you bought to get a tray rack eventually.

I also frequently just shove my bike in the car, but a rack is nice to have for trips or riding with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    At this point there's zero reasons not to get a MIPS-type helmet. It's easy to find on sub-$100 helmets now. I have a TLD A1 I love, but there's lots of good helmets and they don't all fit all heads.

Do you have garage? How tall is your vehicle? The odds that you will eventually drive into a garage with the bike on the roof are high. Getting bikes on a roof rack can suck if you're not tall and/or have a tall vehicle. Roof carrying also crushes your fuel economy of road trips. Thus, hitch is generally preferable, but a roof tray is much cheaper (until you drive into your garage...).

I had a dream of inventing a device that when you locked your fork into the roof rack, it would disable your garage door opener. The times changed, though.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Damn...I was just today looking at AirBnB's in St. George/Hurricane for next month (spring break) and there is a massive number of them and they are dirt cheap but I don't think I can swing 11 hours with the kids in the car quite yet.
    We are getting close... I think. we'd have to break up the drive one way at least. For me that would be a stop in Green River or so, as I don't think there is much in between lol
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Green river has really great tacos and some riding which snowaddict? Or dfinn? checked out and said was really fun. Plus melons for days in the fall.

Green river has really great tacos and some riding which snowaddict? Or dfinn? checked out and said was really fun. Plus melons for days in the fall.

I've only done what's on trailforks, it leans pretty xc on the scale, but was pretty fun for breaking up the drive and the landscape around there is pretty unique. There's some good camping potential south of town along the river as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE62F343-CA20-4D63-B1B0-1A3CE5370FB9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	362472

Name:	IMG_2993.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	362473

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	362475

I'd be in for the group ride this summer if that happens. And always happy to ride with anyone that wants to explore the Ben Lomond massif.

Phall, gone till March? Probably a good call given the state of the snowpack.

i may have a tray for a roof rack you can have to at least hold you over. let me know and i can check later.

Yep, back in VT helping mom out with an ailing stepfather for a little bit, and picking up the new van.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    And always happy to ride with anyone that wants to explore the Ben Lomond massif.
    After visiting your corner of the range last year for a glorious ski day and talking to some buddies who ride up there a bunch I started plotting some dumb rides (see https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/124155/).
    You shall hear from me in the spring sir!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

There's a whole crew of wasatch dudes, DTM, Beaterdit, springsproject, YourMomJustCalled who used to do the ogden canyon to perry canyon shuttle lomond ride, been meaning to check that one off.

There's a whole crew of wasatch dudes, DTM, Beaterdit, springsproject, YourMomJustCalled who used to do the ogden canyon to perry canyon shuttle lomond ride, been meaning to check that one off.
    That's the one I want to do. That ridgeline is beautiful in the winter and looks like it should be mostly rideable. Scenery and exposure would be A+. The beers at the car would taste like a diving nectar.

How much of that route would you estimate is hiking