Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobriety, V2.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Made me look it up. Day 258 here !
    Awesome. I think she has an app that keeps track.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Interesting read.

As long as folks aren't driving or forcing pledges to drink to their deaths, some (maybe even a lot) of recreational heavy drinking in your twenties seems fine. It's folks like me who don't grow out of that and actually get worse that are sad and pathetic. Nothing more lame than the drunk old folks at the bar or party. Don't be that person.. and if the alternative to sobriety is just staying home all the time to get blasted almost every night... definitely time to just give it up.

Leave that to the youngsters.

And "normal drinkers"? What the hell is that? Drinking one or two drinks and not wanting a third or even not finishing the second one? Who does that??? Hahaha.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I just hit 3 weeks without a drink. This time around.

2 zoom meetings a week. Sometimes I find them useful. Sometimes not

Went to the surgeon yesterday to go over results from testing in October

I have Esophagus- achalasia without contractility (type 1)
    He wants to operate. Sayin it’s just going to get worse

Guess I’m going under the knife so I can eat food and drink stuff

Good luck to all in the struggle. There are allot of us
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And "normal drinkers"? What the hell is that? Drinking one or two drinks and not wanting a third or even not finishing the second one? Who does that??? Hahaha.
    That pretty accurately describes my drinking, with a very occasional binge night thrown into the mix. "Everything in moderation, including moderation."

Vibes to people who struggle with substance abuse. I know many.

All I want tonight is to pop a klonopin. 9.5/10 on edge and it’s very uncomfortable.
    If I had any right now I’d have caved.
    And I have issues with that fact.

4,303 days here, but hell, whose counting…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

@buzzworthy
    I had to Google klonopin.
    Vibes.

The stressors are always there
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

Me? Once or twice a year i will get pretty drunk, it doesn't take much but then I will have no desire to drink more than one or two for a long while after.

Never crave a drink.

I have other vices. Everyone has their kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    4,303 days here, but hell, whose counting…
    fkna
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    All I want tonight is to pop a klonopin. 9.5/10 on edge and it’s very uncomfortable.
    If I had any right now I’d have caved.
    And I have issues with that fact.
    I think half the battle is keeping vices out of immediate reach. It meant admitting that I have a problem and doing something about it.

The week of Christmas was three years of no controlled substances. Best of luck to anyone in the thick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That pretty accurately describes my drinking, with a very occasional binge night thrown into the mix. "Everything in moderation, including moderation."

Vibes to people who struggle with substance abuse. I know many.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiskiskiskiski View Post
    Me? Once or twice a year i will get pretty drunk, it doesn't take much but then I will have no desire to drink more than one or two for a long while after.

Never crave a drink.

I have other vices. Everyone has their kryptonite
    My mom was a normal drinker. Dad's side of the family is where I got it without a doubt.

Started the annual sugar detox today, which obviously includes no booze…..I am already dreading this evening, as I habitually knock back a couple while cooking…..Any tips from the collective? I’ve done this annually for the last three years, but this year feels……..different.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Started the annual sugar detox today, which obviously includes no booze…..I am already dreading this evening, as I habitually knock back a couple while cooking…..Any tips from the collective? I’ve done this annually for the last three years, but this year feels……..different.
    Sounds familiar. Feels how different?
    If you start getting the shakes and fine motor control goes. - your detoxing. If true I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Other than that. Will power. Either it’s silly to drink when you don’t want to. Or. This is a problem I don’t want to drink but I’m going to anyway. - Alcoholic.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The first 2 weeks is the hardest and requires willpower. After that it’s just a decision you have made and much easier to stick to.

I just kept telling myself that I’m a non-drinker now. It became very apparent that I have total control of what I put to my lips and ingest.

cayenne, in your herbal tea, sparkling water.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    cayenne, in your herbal tea, sparkling water.
    If your past a point. - they give you lithium and other things to keep you on an even keel for the two or three days it takes to get through the wall
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    If your past a point. - they give you lithium and other things to keep you on an even keel
    Severe DTs can be fatal.. Don't ask me how I know.. Anyone who's drinking a LOT daily for years should go full hospital detox.. Jerry Garcia died in detox He was also hooked on heroin but DTs are DTs.. They can definitely be fatal if extreme.

Busch NA is pretty tasty. If someone poured it into a glass and told you it was PBR you'd never notice. Otherwise, find a seltzer you like.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    FYI almost all NA beers actually have .5% ABV and will still trigger the phenomenon of craving making you just want real beers even more.

They contain "up to" 0.5% as that's the legal limit, but that still means you'd have to drink 10+ to get one normal beer's worth of alcohol. I wouldn't recommend NA beer to an alcoholic who's in recovery, but seano isn't that AFAIK.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yes, if you are having cravings they will only make your cravings worse. You won't feel a buzz but even drinking one your brain will recognize that there is even a minute amount of alcohol and make you want more ASAP.

So many potential/in denial alcoholics try the NA beer thing and will just eventually drink real booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They contain "up to" 0.5% as that's the legal limit, but that still means you'd have to drink 10+ to get one normal beer's worth of alcohol. I wouldn't recommend NA beer to an alcoholic who's in recovery, but seano isn't that AFAIK.
    THIS. Alcoholics aren't really all in for the taste.. It's the feelings that taste can evoke. Taste is definitely a trigger for an alcoholic. especially if there's no or little alcohol in the FIRST one.. At least that's been my experience.. and countless other drunks I know.

Apple cider vinegar, helps me with the non quince able thirsts. Dry Mouthth. insulin imbalance. I am not sober. Lost 50#+ in the last six months. Prison chain gang fitness routine is Gold. I hope MTT"s Mom reloads my Debit card!