Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobriety, V2.

Still a asshole with out the booze, but my knees are 20 years younger.

I’m doing pretty good today. Thanks for asking

I’m in that 30 days range - Easy for me.
    Hoping I feel the same a year from now as I do today
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Seano.. distraction is huge for me. Can you identify triggers when you used to / are likely to drink? Try to, and then think of something else to occupy your time during them. They say cravings are actually very short, if you can get past each one, you're good to go.

(good in theory, lol.)

I'm on day 5 sober. Again... Hoping for the best this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Seano.. distraction is huge for me. Can you identify triggers when you used to / are likely to drink? Try to, and then think of something else to occupy your time during them. They say cravings are actually very short, if you can get past each one, you're good to go.

(good in theory, lol.)

Not to be an ass but give this a look. Pick an online meeting connect with zoom and listen in. You never know.
    Some make me want to drink. Sometimes you hear someone on the other side of world describing you. Exactly.

Anyway. It’s nice to have tools
    https://aa-intergroup.org/meetings
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Sobriety, V2.

As for alternate beverages, I drink hoplark hop water, fizzy waters and various kombuchas and add lime juice to plain topo Chico bottles. These are mostly zero calorie items. There are a number of other hop beverages coming on the market and I like to try those as well. Cold fizzy hoppy really hits the spot when I used to chug a beer.

One thing I don’t like to drink a bunch of is NA beers. They’ve still got 80+ calories each and I’ve enjoyed the big reduction in sugar and carbs that sobriety brings.

I’m still in shock that I was crushing 6 or more 9% DIPA per day plus a good volume of tequila. So glad that’s in the past!!

(good in theory, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Not to be an ass but give this a look. Pick an online meeting connect with zoom and listen in. You never know.
    Some make me want to drink. Sometimes you hear someone on the other side of world describing you. Exactly.

Anyway. It’s nice to have tools
    https://aa-intergroup.org/meetings
    That's definitely useful... but it's easier to find a good sponsor at in person meetings. shoot because some are masks only and some are no mask required. But, 90 meetings in 90 days. temporary sponsor ASAP, regular sponsor within a month are what old timers recommend.

Sounds daunting but just take it one day at a time.. If you miss a day or two or a hundred keep coming back..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Thanks to all of you for the tips, advice, etc......I white knuckled through yesterday, am doing the same today, but no serious W/D......I just miss my two-finger pour whilst cooking. One day at a time can I get an amen......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Doing lots of meetings and a 5 days a week IOP. Thanks fellas. I'm on it!

Unfortunately not my first time around (I started this thread) so I know what to do... just need to suck it up and follow through.
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 01-11-2022 at 05:30 PM.

fuck AA
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

lol.

Dharma recovery is good shit, I've been getting more into it lately.

Hope you're well Mikey.

I spread my meeting time around...

Certainly not a big book thumper.

Took the time to do the math

8313 days

Pretty sure I’d be dead by now if I hadn’t stopped. Still have hard days….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I'm not in recovery, but TWIS (the woman I'm seeing) is, and she knows of a number atheist AA Zoom meetings, and says they're a good thing. I can probably get info about those if requested.

Another friend likes Dharma recovery.

Seano - here's your amen.

lol.

Dharma recovery is good shit, I've been getting more into it lately.

Hope you're well Mikey.

I spread my meeting time around...

Certainly not a big book thumper.

Which dharma group?

I was into refuge recovery before all the drama.

Shambala has a decent meeting, but it's small

Seano, you got this

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Which dharma group?

I was into refuge recovery before all the drama.

Shambala has a decent meeting, but it's small
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...58&single=true

I've been doing aa for about 6 months now, about 2 years of 90 percent sober before that.

I was wary of the god thing, everyone is. But it's not about God as we all think of it. It's about getting serenity and a psychic change about alcohol.

Tons of good people, just hanging together w a common bond.

Stoked to be sober. My life gets instantly better, and it was good to begin with.

Thanks for letting me share

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I've been doing aa for about 6 months now, about 2 years of 90 percent sober before that.

I was wary of the god thing, everyone is. But it's not about God as we all think of it. It's about getting serenity and a psychic change about alcohol.

Tons of good people, just hanging together w a common bond.

Stoked to be sober. My life gets instantly better, and it was good to begin with.

Thanks for letting me share
    It's a spiritual thing, not an organized religion thing. That said, there are groups that really do all push the Christian side. I avoid those unless I really need a meeting at the time they meet. And by push, it's really just that they insist that all prayers end with "amen". Other than that not really. We also have athiest/agnostic groups. In a metroplex you can find a meeting for just about any psychographic..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Thanks to all of you for the tips, advice, etc......I white knuckled through yesterday, am doing the same today, but no serious W/D......I just miss my two-finger pour whilst cooking. One day at a time can I get an amen......
    Wait, are you trying to get sober permanently or just taking a month off as part of your "sugar detox"? Your initial post sounded like the latter, but now I'm not sure.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    If anyone is struggling feel free to reach out. I have helped several people on different message boards get some recovery going over the years. The maggots were instrumental in pointing out how fucked my drinking was going back as far as around 2004 or 2005. I'm the type that needed some tough love and maybe some of the other maggots do to.

I’m always down to help and talk too, but I have a different perspective
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Still a asshole with out the booze, but my knees are 20 years younger.
    Damnit, how many days do I need with no booze before the younger knees kick in?

So far on day 12 with no booze, but my knees just aren't feeling younger yet.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Wait, are you trying to get sober permanently or just taking a month off as part of your "sugar detox"? Your initial post sounded like the latter, but now I'm not sure.
    Definitely the latter for now, but if I get through the first 30, I wouldn’t mind not coming back to it.. I’m not getting any younger, unfortunately. Thanks again errbody.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Definitely the latter for now, but if I get through the first 30, I wouldn’t mind not coming back to it.. I’m not getting any younger, unfortunately. Thanks again errbody.
    Gotcha. Like sugar, with alcohol there are health huge benefits to going from lots->minimal, but minimal->zero doesn't gain you much. Timing is important, though. Two fingers at 4:00 pm is a lot different than two fingers at 7:00 pm. Alcohol really does wreck your sleep and nightcaps are terrible. That all said, if you get through the 30 and just don't feel like it any more then you might as well run with it. I was never much of a drinker, but after my head injury in late 2019 I just never felt like drinking period and never went back to it. Rarely I'll have wine with a nice meal as I think it really does enhance fine food. NA beers are still tasty, and I can drink them in the car after skiing and biking without worrying about open container or DUI!

(good in theory, lol.)

HALT
    Hungry
    Angry
    Lonely
    Tired

I agree it’s get past temptation any way you can. It’s a marathon not a sprint. But sometimes I had to breathe and believe to get past some of the hills

Feel free to reach out. Helped a lot of people get sober and happy to help anyway I can

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)