Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobriety, V2.

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has been in this situation.

Getting sober at 39. Smoked cigarettes a pack a day from ages 15-19. Easily stopped my sophomore year of college. I was just done, not a problem.

20 years later have picked them back up while quitting drinking.

Thought in Feb it would be a short term thing.

It's September and I'm still going

Wife is NOT on board, which leads to more of the old drinking habits of hiding and lying, which I'm really trying to move away from.

FUCK!!

I am in the half to stop smoking camp
    I have medical conditions that are effected by smoking. I can go a week on the patch. Then right back at it
    Much worse than the occasional cravings to drink. Like now because I’m just bored
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

When I finally succeeded at quitting cigarettes it was the change from the mindset of ohh poor me, I want a cigarette to fuck you tobacco you dont fucking control me, fuck off that finally beat out the cravings.

That, and blow pops.

That was eight years ago and I am very solidly in the self righteous ex smoker camp.

Good luck! Its worth it!

I seem to have quit the MJ, its legal in Canada so no fun anymore
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

um

just quit the cigs

that is all
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I quit smoking at 5 years sober. But, wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor and my two toddlers were getting old enough to notice the smoking. Two powerful motivators. I used mostly gum, gradually smoking less and less over about 4-5 weeks before totally quitting and just chewed the gum for another week or two.

Others friends of Bill have commented that quitting smoking was harder because they didn't work the steps. Just 21 years, one day at a time, 16 years tobacco free.

As for weed, mj maintenance wouldn't be an option for me. Nothing goes batter after a hit of good weed than a guzzle of iced cold beer. Had to give them both up at the same time. No comment on folks who don't crave alcohol at all when on weed. That ain't me though..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Been sober over 10 years and off cigs 6 or 7. I unfortunately started doing some tobacco free nicotine pouches this past year. In the spring I was just super stressed. Will occasionally chew actual tobacco. Really want to get back off the nicotine, but I justify it because I eat really healthy, exercise like a nut, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by atree View Post
    There were a bunch of book recommendations in the previous thread that I wanted to jot down. Please repost your recs if you have a chance!
    TWIS (the woman I’m seeing) is reading a book called Emotional Sobriety, which she says is fantastic. She’s been in recovery for 18 years, and is a sponsor for three people.

Argh, when I went looking for a link I saw there were several books with that in the title. I’ll get back with the one she likes in a bit.

Guessing that most folks on TGR and in this thread are fairly active outdoors, so I thought this might be of interest:

https://www.outsideonline.com/health...ohol-research/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    TWIS (the woman I’m seeing) is reading a book called Emotional Sobriety, which she says is fantastic. She’s been in recovery for 18 years, and is a sponsor for three people.

Argh, when I went looking for a link I saw there were several books with that in the title. I’ll get back with the one she likes in a bit.
    It’s this one. Pretty new.
    https://smile.amazon.com/12-Essentia...129/ref=sr_1_5

Sobriety, V2.

It is very sad to see how people relate to the problem of alcoholism and why it has become like some kind of joke for them.

Lots of long-term sobriety in our Sun Valley/Ketchum group. I'm at the 7:15 M/W/F. We all bring our ski boots in to keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    When I finally succeeded at quitting cigarettes it was the change from the mindset of ohh poor me, I want a cigarette to fuck you tobacco you dont fucking control me, fuck off that finally beat out the cravings.

That, and blow pops.

That was eight years ago and I am very solidly in the self righteous ex smoker camp.

Good luck! Its worth it!
    It is all about the change of mindset that is needed. No Patches, no gum, just FUCK YOU NICOTINE. When I quit 30 years ago I looked myself in the mirror and told myself if I ever put another cig in my mouth I was a fuckin loser. I never did and the first year was hard, no lie, but I didn't do it ever again.
    Alcohol is a different animal, as eating and drinking is such a part of what we do socially. We would totally need to change what we do to make a significant permanent change. I think both of us realize we need to really cut back on both which is easy for the Mrs as she smokes weed. We are trying the not eating outside of 9am to 5pm thing and limiting the booze to maybe a glass of wine a day until months end to see what happens. I will admit to sleeping better already.
    It takes a long time to make permanent changes, so just keep at it however works best for you. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I realize my TGR handle probably doesn’t reflect it but I’m 3 months dry. I look to keep it up.

Daughter just passed day 550.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I've made it through today so far. Hope I can say that again at this time tomorrow... That's how I've gotten through the past 21 years.
    I'll be skiing with my son tomorrow at this time if all goes well. He's never seen me take a drink... yet.

It's been long enough that I forget exactly how long. Ten years or so clean and sober. Admittedly it's been hard not to smoke some weed at times in the last year. Especially in the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    It's been long enough that I forget exactly how long. Ten years or so clean and sober. Admittedly it's been hard not to smoke some weed at times in the last year. Especially in the last few months.
    Nothing better for cottonmouth to me than an iced cold beer.... so no more weeds either.. Not a big deal being around folks smoking and drinking some for a little while... but, an hour or so then I'm out of there..

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Daughter just passed day 550.
    Made me look it up. Day 258 here !

I still can’t count
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nothing better for cottonmouth to me than an iced cold beer.... so no more weeds either.. Not a big deal being around folks smoking and drinking some for a little while... but, an hour or so then I'm out of there..
    Yeah, I don't mind being around it when it's not the focus of whatever is going on.

Struggle has been real wanting to get high for the last month or so. Went to a meeting on Zoom for the first time ever. That helped.

Clarify - first zoom meeting not first meeting

It is very sad to see how people relate to the problem of alcoholism and why it has become like some kind of joke for them. It's a pity that many people simply do not understand the state that people struggling with alcohol addiction go through. To overcome this disease, they need to overcome themselves and their desires, and this is not so easy. After all, in order to help such people, various online sober community and hospitals are being created for the treatment of such addictions. I hope that people will start to treat this problem with understanding and will support people who have it. Peace to all!
    Last edited by RoobySooqy; 01-06-2022 at 06:43 AM.