Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobriety, V2.

Sobriety, V2.

It looks like the OP deleted the sobriety thread, which is a shame because it held a lot of good info and helped a lot of people, including me.

Anyways, best of luck to all.. especially those who are struggling today.

WW, if you don't have anything left from last night just try to avoid the stores today. You can do this if you really want to!

Morning sunshine
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Posting in support!

I’m proud of you guys.
    “Skiing is the easy part.”

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Posting in support!

I’m proud of you guys.
    “Skiing is the easy part.”
    I really like that movie
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

checking in.

glad to see that this is being continued. hate to see some of that thread go but sobriety is all about new beginnings or something like that. anyways, heres to a bunch of us drunks getting and keeping our shit together.
    swing your fucking sword.

I'm sorry that thread got deleted. Glad someone started a new one. Impressed with all the work and honesty and support I see in here, keep it up!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

x2 for honesty

Glad to see in the v1.0 thread there was mention of thirst cutting. I think that's important. Jax, you rock.

I've definitely run into quite a number of people who have picked up a beer "because I'm thirsty." My wife does that. "I didn't really want a beer, my mouth was dry." Ya, sure. Sometimes however one needs a fizzy drink to cut a deep thirst, aka cottonmouth. I have been known to drink a lot of seltzer drinks. My wife doesn't like seltzer. Apres ski I usually have that lingering thirst which requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    It looks like the OP deleted the sobriety thread, which is a shame because it held a lot of good info and helped a lot of people, including me.

Anyways, best of luck to all.. especially those who are struggling today.

WW, if you don't have anything left from last night just try to avoid the stores today. You can do this if you really want to!
    i was gonna do a soft delete , but didn't cuz I was so pissed.
    buttah is complete cunt and a few others pissed me off. run with the ball, Russ.

gonna be lurking, but this is all for now
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Ideas for alternatives to alcohol that I use (even while out you can just order most of these at a restaurant or bar):

Juices- stick with whatever your favorite is or mix it up (Orange Juice, Pineapple, Grape, Apple, etc.)
    Ice Tea- not Long Island Ice Teas of course...
    Flavored Waters- some are carbonated also. I also have been mixing the carbonated with a bit of Juice- so like Orange Juice cut with 1/2 carbonated water (flavored or even just club soda)
    Soft Drinks- if nothing else is available - typically 7-Up or Ginger Ale...
    Or if nothing else- just plain old water also (and low cals too)...

Stay Strong...

You can’t change the world, you can only change how you react to the world.

Thanks for reviving the bread, and stay the course Jay. It gets so much better...eventually. Don’t give up before the miracle happens.

Resource: https://recoverydharma.org

Recovery Dharma

Sobriety, V2.

I made the front page! 106 days...and, nearly every day,, I still wonder what I’ll do when COVID is done and we all start meeting up for funzies...I mean: Thurs HH after work, Fri HH, and Sat going out has been a weekly event for three decades. #amirite.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Ideas for alternatives to alcohol that I use (even while out you can just order most of these at a restaurant or bar):

Juices- stick with whatever your favorite is or mix it up (Orange Juice, Pineapple, Grape, Apple, etc.)
    Ice Tea- not Long Island Ice Teas of course...
    Flavored Waters- some are carbonated also. I also have been mixing the carbonated with a bit of Juice- so like Orange Juice cut with 1/2 carbonated water (flavored or even just club soda)
    Soft Drinks- if nothing else is available - typically 7-Up or Ginger Ale...
    Or if nothing else- just plain old water also (and low cals too)...

Stay Strong...
    SONIC: soda water, splash of tonic, cran, and lots of fruit.

I had a buddy/client tell me today in the middle of an extremely tense situation, "I don't know what I would do if you weren't here." I replied, "You'd completely fucking lose your shit, that's why I am here". "He replied, thank you for making me not drink again." He wasn't joking, and it would not have been pretty.

Kudos to those who keep the path they set for themselves, and for those who wander, you know the way back.

And fuck thread deleters. Should be an insta ban except for gear swap.

I've found it's good to read things that are not necessarily recovery-based, but help you think about and work on yourself.

Right now I'm reading The Alchemy of Action by Doug Robinson. I also recommend Kristen Ulmer's The Art of Fear.

Pema Chodron's books When Things Fall Apart and The Places that Scare You have also been helpful to me, as was Brenee Brown's Braving the Wilderness.

And for books about addiction, I highly recommend Dr. Fred Von Stief's Brain in Balance and Dr. Judith Grisel's Never Enough.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f_Imperfection

The Spirituality of Imperfection is one of my favorites. Probably due for a re-read.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I made the front page! 106 days...and, nearly every day,, I still wonder what I’ll do when COVID is done and we all start meeting up for funzies...I mean: Thurs HH after work, Fri HH, and Sat going out has been a weekly event for three decades. #amirite.

Substitute post-work rides for happy hours. Win-win for you and your bike.

That is EXACTLY when you should be out riding bikes or hiking or whatnot with active friends.

(Going on 11 years here, this is what worked for me).

Oh, and Coconut LaCroix
    Last edited by rideit; 02-09-2021 at 04:59 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sorry I got the other thread tanked. I’ll try better this time.

Sobriety, V2.

you did not get the other thread tanked

neither did I or anyone else except the OP

that’s all on silly twit

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    you did not get the other thread tanked

neither did I or anyone else except the OP

that’s all on silly twit
    Thanks Mikey.

Very importantly though, Jay, how are things man??

It's got a nice ring to it. You can't argue that.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Substitute post-work rides for happy hours. Win-win for you and your bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That is EXACTLY when you should be out riding bikes or hiking or whatnot with active friends.

(Going on 11 years here, this is what worked for me).

Oh, and Coconut LaCroix
    I gotta find me some of those. It's weird, I've been a solitary creature for so long...I'd go out with work "friends" and have drinks...then the next morning go on long rides...by myself. Then go out with a work person, then ride alone.

Honestly, I'm not complaining about my lot and sorry to be a downer. But it's like learning a new life. When everyone you know and everything you've done for as long as you can remember almost always had alcohol involved...it's weird to always be like: what should I do tonight???
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I gotta find me some of those. It's weird, I've been a solitary creature for so long...I'd go out with work "friends" and have drinks...then the next morning go on long rides...by myself. Then go out with a work person, then ride alone.

Honestly, I'm not complaining about my lot and sorry to be a downer. But it's like learning a new life. When everyone you know and everything you've done for as long as you can remember almost always had alcohol involved...it's weird to always be like: what should I do tonight???
    This is something I need to work on as well, for sure!

Sobriety, V2.

I am very fortunate that I have good people to hang out with. Some are sober, some are not, only a couple are actual drunks and I limit my time with them. It’s been good to make some new friends and better connections with some old acquaintances. I’m purposefully trying to make friends with people who I know are good people, people I look up to. And I’m avoiding others. Im reaching out to some people I’ve lost touch with. I’m trying as hard to find good men to hang out with as I am women to date.

Thanks Riser.

Been off the radar for a few, sad to see the other thread gone. It's hard to spill your shit out to mostly strangers but it felt good in doing so. Lots of heartfelt stuff from posters that normally wouldn't have shared...I'm thankful for that nonetheless.