Uinta mountains slide footage

If this has already been posted let me know and I'll remove it.

Pretty insane footage from the wrong end of a big slide.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK_Tdr4F...=13q96jmemzdc3

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Horrifying

Terrifying. Words fail

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Terrifying. Words fail
    I don't know. I think "Craig got his shoot off in time" gives a pretty good idea of what happened.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I don't know. I think "Craig got his shoot off in time" gives a pretty good idea of what happened.
    I didn't want to but I lol'd a little.

Still a terrifying view from the bottom IMO.

Jesus christ stop filming and help. Why would you carry your beacon in your backpack? Why wouldn't you start legging it the second you see a massive avalanche coming down on you and instead film it?

Footy for the boys

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Jesus christ stop filming and help. Why would you carry your beacon in your backpack? Why wouldn't you start legging it the second you see a massive avalanche coming down on you and instead film it?
    Agree on the beacon part... but if you count it out there's literally 7 seconds of footage before the slide hits them.

There is so many points of failure but the video thing probably comes to him focusing on keeping his brother in frame and not noticing the big cloud of snow heading for him. I don't understand why slednecks would risk their life to play in the apron of a slide path. Where there no meadows near by?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    There is so many points of failure but the video thing probably comes to him focusing on keeping his brother in frame and not noticing the big cloud of snow heading for him. I don't understand why slednecks would risk their life to play in the apron of a slide path. Where there no meadows near by?
    The original IG post (which appears to be form the guy filming) answers some of your questions. Basically, they had ridden that slope many times in the past and thought it would be safe.
    Lots to dissect in there. Huge amount of luck.

Today we were riding in the uintahs, the snow was great up high and it was finally feeling like we had some base. I have been riding sleds in this particular area since I was 8 years old. I am very familiar with the area. My brother and I were playing on the side of a hill in the a tree area where have have ridden 30-40 times in years past.. (Right side of the video). We had 3 other friends and one younger below in the flats. As I finished recording my brother playing in the pow, the mountain shook. My original thought was... earthquake. Than it it me, avalanche. As I turned and looked up I could see the snow wave coming. My brothers back was turned and I screamed avalanche as loud as I could. Now here comes my mistake #1. I pulled my klim avalanche backpack and boom, nothing happened. I hadn’t turned it on. A second later the snow hit and the swimming started. Somehow I only moved about 20 yards and stayed on top of the snow (MIRACLE) . Only being buried to my lower chest I dug myself out. My little brothers sled was running and I could hear the yelling on the radio. I could hear someone in the trees, but I couldn’t figure out where. I ran to my brothers sled and turned it off. I now could hear him screaming my name. Mistake #2 had I not been able to hear his voice I would of been lost. My beacon, probe, and shovel were all in my backpack but I would of had no clue what to do first. Let me tell you There is no worse feeling than having your little brother buried. I followed his voice and saw the top of his black helmet and his voice and started digging. About 60 seconds later I had his face uncovered. He was okay. Than came the radio chatter, where is everyone at? Was everyone okay? We didn’t realize it but the avalanche had also triggered even bigger on the other side of trees where we were. My youngest brother was able to out run it so was one of our other friends. Our 2 other friends both got hit with the wave on the FLATS. Craig and his sled were both buried. Craig got his shoot off in time, which ultimately probably saved his life. The person filming (Nate) was buried to about his face and somehow was able to hold on to his phone.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I always find it interesting that snowmobilers are huge into airbags yet many of the types of avalanche incidents that are common (sitting at the bottom of high mark zones, riding terrain traps/gullies) are one's for which airbags are not real effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    'cause they've done it 30-40 times in the past, so it must always be safe right?

The instagram post is just a list of heuristic traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I always find it interesting that snowmobilers are huge into airbags yet many of the types of avalanche incidents that are common (sitting at the bottom of high mark zones, riding terrain traps/gullies) are one's for which airbags are not real effective.
    When you got the $ for a state of the art brap machine, truck, trailer etc you're going to have every gadget even if you don't know how to use it.

As they say, more money than sense in some cases.