Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beacon, shovel, probe.......gun.

Apparently hibernation is not a thing for some pissed off, cranky brownies. Or maybe skied over a winter den. Browny woke up and mauled a skier in Haines.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    X2.

After the first spotting in the Teton/Yellowstone area, the bear spray goes along for the ride.

Bears typically get up and out during the winter. They don't usually hiberate uninterrupted.

If I were a bear I'd be sleeping lightly too.
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...g-cubs-in-den/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I do not know if there has ever been a brown bear mauling in Alaska in February. One study from 2000 to 2017 shows none. And there have been none since 2017 till now. Climate change is real and Haines is being hit hard. Town has been having serious issues with bears. https://www.ktoo.org/2020/11/13/a-be...wn-bear-kills/
    Hope the skier is ok. Sounds like his partners were solid and coast guard came through.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	klehini river.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	646.0 KB 
ID:	361710
    Klehini River early April
    off your knees Louie

Truckee has had a pretty light winter (save for the storm 10 days ago) and we have had one cub from a 3 cub litter that have denned up not far from our house that refuses to stay with mom and it's siblings. It comes out for a wander at least once a week, early am and same route every time. Seems to have figured out the trash day schedule. I hope this doesn't end badly.
    It's healthy and probably in the #150ish range.
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

It's currently quite arctic here, have had a good stretch of very cold temps for SEAK. I'm assuming they skied over it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Truckee has had a pretty light winter (save for the storm 10 days ago) and we have had one cub from a 3 cub litter that have denned up not far from our house that refuses to stay with mom and it's siblings. It comes out for a wander at least once a week, early am and same route every time. Seems to have figured out the trash day schedule. I hope this doesn't end badly.
    It's healthy and probably in the #150ish range.
    You have to wonder if at times it wouldn't just best for the overall population in the long run to euthanize a segment of the population to stop the problem since they seem to be so adapt at teaching the behaviors to their young.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    If I were a bear I'd be sleeping lightly too.
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...g-cubs-in-den/
    You have to wonder if at times it wouldn't just best for the overall population in the long run to euthanize a segment of the population to stop the problem since they seem to be so adapt at teaching the behaviors to their young.
    Reading your second quote after your first post with the story about the Alaska father-son douchebags, I heartily agree.

Looked at this thread to see if this had been posted, but someone here isn't doing their job:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ount-Adams-NH)
    [quote][//quote]

I couldn't remember his name

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Reading your second quote after your first post with the story about the Alaska father-son douchebags, I heartily agree.
    If it's good for the goose.

I couldn't remember his name
    Ha, you're the one in charge of ancient thread references?
    I didn't remember his name (never knew it) but remembered King Ravine and holster...thx, googlez.

It's an incredible thread.
    [quote][//quote]

Bears will adopt new habits in order to adapt to the situation because they are adept creatures.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    been skiing the pow meows a good bit this season
    this is out off the rain tree ridge

aint seen no cats
    aint strapped on the gats
    yet
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I do not know if there has ever been a brown bear mauling in Alaska in February. One study from 2000 to 2017 shows none. And there have been none since 2017 till now. Climate change is real and Haines is being hit hard. Town has been having serious issues with bears. https://www.ktoo.org/2020/11/13/a-be...wn-bear-kills/
    Hope the skier is ok. Sounds like his partners were solid and coast guard came through.
    the grapevine says the skier needs to be patched up but will be okay, that it was indeed a very solid crew, and that the bear ran off. terrifying scenario.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    aint seen no cats
    aint strapped on the gats
    yet
    Always wondered about the cats when riding corner canyon by headlamp.....probably passed plenty.

We regularly see griz tracks over ours during field work in March. We've never been bothered by the early risers though. They are more interested in bulbs and wild tubers to flush the colon when they first rise. Shitty timing for the AK guy, hope he mends well.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Bears will adopt new habits in order to adapt to the situation because they are adept creatures.
    nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Always wondered about the cats when riding corner canyon by headlamp.....probably passed plenty.
    I was ten feet away from a cat at corner canyon this fall. Mid day just above Mountain View on my way to Jacobs. Scared the shit out of me. Luckily I think I spooked him cause he took off quick

I'd be more worried about momma racoons. A lifetime ago I got chased by one protecting her babies on my way back 1/2 mile from the TH. Fastest I had run in years!! I can still hear her claws scratching for traction on the rocks on the trail right on my tail
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

I'd worry more about rattlers there. Around dusk, climbing ghost falls, right at the top of one of the steep techy hills, out of breath, vision narrowing, I look down just as my right foot is passing inches away from a rattlers face. It was lifted up off the ground using the open ground of the trail to hunt I think. It neither struck nor rattled, but I did some sort of superhuman bunnyhop six feet forwards that I've never even seen McCaskill repeat.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.