Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I hope SAR, survivors, and family/friends involved all have the opportunity and availability for mental health assistance. I know it’s not always easily available.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    no kidding. gonna go rip around on the kusalas in low angle pow. this is the season of meadow skipping.
    This is a huge benefit of fat skis.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. And at some point there needs to be a conversation about paid, professional SAR in the US, especially somewhere like SLC. To any of you reading this, thank you for doing what you do.
    yes, a million times yes.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yup. And at some point there needs to be a conversation about paid, professional SAR in the US, especially somewhere like SLC. To any of you reading this, thank you for doing what you do.
    The biggest thing that is trying to get funded right now is money for 2nd DPS helicopter/base down south. The DPS helicopter was on the way back from Emery county when we called them. LifeFlight is ncredible, but they are limited on what they are allowed to do. If we needed to get a dog on Saturday, it was going to have to happen with DPS. (there was no place to land, and we can't hoist dogs in, DPS could have possibly gotten one in with a skid load.)

https://kutv.com/news/local/dps-heli...get-falls-flat

So, if you like calling state reps and such, there you go.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Anyone want to draw the skin track in on one of those photos?
    I'm going to let the UAC draw that in, it was a such a mess in there...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Anyone want to draw the skin track in on one of those photos?
    So it's acceptable to ask those kind of questions here, but not when it happens in Colorado. Got it, you hypocritical shitbag.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So it's acceptable to ask those kind of questions here, but not when it happens in Colorado. Got it, you hypocritical shitbag.
    Shut the fuck up. Don't cunt this thread up as well you you whiny shit. it's not about you.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Shut the fuck up. Don't cunt this thread up as well you you whiny shit. it's not about you.
    Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you glade?
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Jeez, take it offline and just PM each other...
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

To those of you who helped thank you. For those of you who knew these crews, I am sorry. I await the UAC report. Living with the aftermath is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Someone asked me after the first slide in the glade if I had ever seen it slide before. My response was "yes, many times and I doubt it's over, there".

Attachment 361750

Not a prophet. Plenty left in the chutes, Alexander Basin pass, only pockets in Toot Suite and to boot. Soldier hasn't slid, the snow pack is hollow.
    What a tragedy, so young.
    BTW, the skin track is placed to the looker's right of the last piece of crown(learned after more than one close encounter).
    Hey Bob, are you surprised that Soldier didnt slide? Similar angle (high 20s to low 30s), same avalanche problem, and a bunch of tracks.

Trying to calibrate myself to the risk and appropriate terrain for that day.

Are you referring to the nipple?

Nipple has tracks, Soldier fork has no tracks. I snuck into Soldier, lookers right ridge for a ways and it had nasty snow.
    Barely supportable with tails falling through at times. Wouldn't touch it now. Snow was so bad that I thicketered around to Big Water to get back out.
    The nipple gets scoured by wind rather than loaded with a lower slope angle.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Are you referring to the nipple?

Nipple has tracks, Soldier fork has no tracks. I snuck into Soldier, lookers right ridge for a ways and it had nasty snow.
    Barely supportable with tails falling through at times. Wouldn't touch it now. Snow was so bad that I thicketered around to Big Water to get back out.
    The nipple gets scoured by wind rather than loaded with a lower slope angle.
    Yeah, sorry, I was referring to the nipple

Heartbreaking
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Can't imagine finding a signal, digging up the person, and uncovering someone not in your party.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Absolutely brutal read.

This is something I didn't know:

Quote Originally Posted by UAC
    Former forecaster Evelyn Lees found that 32% of avalanche fatalities of tourers from 2009 to 2017 happened on the ascent.

That's another heartbreaking report. The survivors really should be commended for a truly impressive rescue effort. I can only hope I would have the presence of mind to work that quickly and effectively if a partner ever gets caught.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

100% agree. An absolutely heroic effort on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    That's another heartbreaking report. The survivors really should be commended for a truly impressive rescue effort. I can only hope I would have the presence of mind to work that quickly and effectively if a partner ever gets caught.

Sent from my SM-P610 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Agreed. Reading that really tells the story of a group that has organized and practiced search techniques and did all they could after the fact. I hope they can mentally recover from this, it would be hard to have to deal with what they're going through.

As others have said, the efforts put in by the survivors are absolutely beyond top notch.

I feel sick to my stomach reading this.

The UT Avy Center did an extremely thorough and detailed report. Thank you to everyone that did everything they possibly could. RIP to the fallen.
    You should have been here yesterday!

^^ Agreed on the report. Very well done and informative.

What a feat of strength for the one skier to hold on to the tree through the debris surge.
    I found the slope angle overlay extremely helpful. 31 degree crown with burials in the low to mid 20s is spooky AF.
    Very insightful report. Vibes to those who knew them. Be safe out there mags.

More that anything, I just find it incredibly sad. It sounds like a truly heroic rescue effort.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Absolutely brutal read.

This is something I didn't know:
    Quote Originally Posted by UAC
    Former forecaster Evelyn Lees found that 32% of avalanche fatalities of tourers from 2009 to 2017 happened on the ascent.
    One of many, many reasons you'll only find me on Vipecs and Tectons; that releasable toe is an important feature for me.

Sad report, vibes to all the friends and families. Some reports are easier than others to put myself in the victim's shoes- this one is far easier than most.

Man that was a tough read. There but for the grace of God. I can easily see myself making similar choices. What an incredible recovery effort on the part of the survivors, I hope they can live in peace. Survivors guilt is rough.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?