Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The deplorable Home Depot

I am constantly amazed with how bad this business is ran....

I thought we needed a thread here to deposit recent HD shitshow experiences.

I have more exposure to HD than the average bear. I live in a 70 year old house about 12 blocks away from one. I work for a large national general contractor and HD / HD Supply is one of our "preferred vendors". I try to avoid it but needless to say, I am there A LOT....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

i second this notion. hd fucking sucks. can't recall a specific shitshow atm but there have been some.
    swing your fucking sword.

Well it is better than Lowe's, pretty much across the board from lumber quality to pricing IME, so it has that going for it.

They also seem pretty generous in terms of their credit terms, interest free financing, etc.

However, I've never seen more oafish behavior than them trying to load pretty much anything into a truck or trailer. I'll just do it myself thanks.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Well it is better than Lowe's, pretty much across the board from lumber quality to pricing IME, so it has that going for it.

They also seem pretty generous in terms of their credit terms, interest free financing, etc.

However, I've never seen more oafish behavior than them trying to load pretty much anything into a truck or trailer. I'll just do it myself thanks.
    I agree. Went to lowes for some lumber last week and holy shit I spent 30 min just looking for semi straight 2x4s. if I was stronger I could literally wring water out of them. Was a bit short and Depot was closer so I ran there...lumber was worlds better.

All very true. Like most "cities" we have an HD and a Lowes right across the street.

As much as I dislike HD, Lowes is much worse.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

its been awhile but there was a culture of trying to avoid you both as a customer and an IT contracter any time I had to go in there it was going to be 2.5 hrs of people who didn't know/didn't care
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Custom ordering and using one of their preferred installers is generally a nightmare

I usually use the nearby locally owned resources. The closest HD is over 45 miles from my house. The Lowe’s is further. When we bought our house, we needed new floors to replace some ugly dirty dark green shag - it was ugly and gross. I did a fair bit of research, talked to flooring people, visited a few local shops, got estimates, etc. and ended up going with HD and their installer, all because it was a fraction of anybody else’s cost, and we were light on $$. It worked out great, to my surprise. HD even missed a few necessary pieces that were a part of my order and they hand delivered the missing items.

My one good experience there. About 6 years ago.

Just ordered a bunch or crap to pick up the next AM. Looked at my receipt and saw that all but one item had been changed from pick up to shipped, even though everything was in stock. I had to go pick my shit up, fine, but now I have to back and return all the crap they sent me.

The Bitterlake store in N. Seattle is a freak show. Massive drug dealing and theft happening in and outside the store at all hours. It does provide convenience if your shopping list includes; weed, hookers, a great burrito, and a case of collated framing nails, then you can do it all without moving your truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

The Lowe's to the East leaves a lot to be desired, but the one in the other direction is pretty good. We've picked up easily 30 curbside orders over the past few weeks and had great luck.

Their lumber dept is shit, though. I hate having to ask them questions because they're always know-it-all dicks. I ordered a 1/4" sheet of ply and got a 3/8", verified by measurement and the stamp. They argued that I was wrong because it had one green stripe, and 3/8" has two. Went back and showed them that the 3/8" was obviously mis-striped (the stamp said 3/8 and it measured 3 fucking 8ths), and argued with the guy until he finally agreed to fork the 3/8 stack so I could get a true 1/4 sheet from the stack below. He and a woman then agreed I was wrong, removed the strips separating the two stacks and piled the 3/8 on top of the 1/4.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    The Lowe's to the East leaves a lot to be desired, but the one in the other direction is pretty good. We've picked up easily 30 curbside orders over the past few weeks and had great luck.

Their lumber dept is shit, though. I hate having to ask them questions because they're always know-it-all dicks. I ordered a 1/4" sheet of ply and got a 3/8", verified by measurement and the stamp. They argued that I was wrong because it had one green stripe, and 3/8" has two. Went back and showed them that the 3/8" was obviously mis-striped (the stamp said 3/8 and it measured 3 fucking 8ths), and argued with the guy until he finally agreed to fork the 3/8 stack so I could get a true 1/4 sheet from the stack below. He and a woman then agreed I was wrong, removed the strips separating the two stacks and piled the 3/8 on top of the 1/4.
    Reading a tape measure properly is not required.

I find that HD and Lowe's quality totally depends on location. I have 3 or 4 of each within 20 minutes of me, and they are all different. Luckily, the one closest to me, HD, is very good. Unless I am looking for certain screws. Then it is Ace, Napa, or the marine store, depending what I need. Never look for any kind of SS machine screw, or anything that deviates from normal at HD or Lowes. You will waste half of your life and never find what you need.

I needed 8' of Trex decking and all they had were 16' lengths. I didn't want 10' hanging out the back of my pickup and forgot my cordless circular saw so I went back to the cutting area. To my surprise, the kid that hustled up to cut my board could actually read a tape and seemed competent on the saw. In and out in 15 minutes.

Kind of sad when that's a banner day at HD.

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 2023
Size:  1.00 MB

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Never look for any kind of SS machine screw, or anything that deviates from normal at HD or Lowes. You will waste half of your life and never find what you need.
    Can they have a machine there where you type in the type, size, amount etc of the screw you need and it pops out like a vending machine? or have all that shit behind a counter and have workers find what you need quickly at the counter?

We have a Lowe's in town and even with my bottom of the basement expectations for service I am still continually disappointed. I do everything I can to go to the Ace that is further away and with less stock whenever possible. And why is the Lowe's lumber SO BAD? It seriously feels like they only have what didn't pass QC for reputable lumber yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Just ordered a bunch or crap to pick up the next AM. Looked at my receipt and saw that all but one item had been changed from pick up to shipped, even though everything was in stock. I had to go pick my shit up, fine, but now I have to back and return all the crap they sent me.

The Bitterlake store in N. Seattle is a freak show. Massive drug dealing and theft happening in and outside the store at all hours. It does provide convenience if your shopping list includes; weed, hookers, a great burrito, and a case of collated framing nails, then you can do it all without moving your truck.
    Can you just place an order in the parking lot for cash at 40% of the listed price and receive it in under 5 minutes loaded into your trunk ? Spend the money you saved on burrito and hummer.

I had fun working there, but I worked there when it was fun.

Customer: Do you have something to kill grubs?
    Me: Yes we do. Do you have grubs?
    Customer: I saw one under my rose bush
    Me: You saw one?
    Customer: Yep
    Me: Did you dig around to look for more?
    Customer: Yep, didn't see any
    Me: Everyone has a grub or two in the garden. Do you want to kill that grub
    Me: The next time you see it, reach down and pick it up between your thumb and fore finger. Raise it up and look at it. Then squeeze it REAL hard.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am constantly amazed with how bad this business is ran....

I thought we needed a thread here to deposit recent HD shitshow experiences.

I have more exposure to HD than the average bear. I live in a 70 year old house about 12 blocks away from one. I work for a large national general contractor and HD / HD Supply is one of our "preferred vendors". I try to avoid it but needless to say, I am there A LOT....
    I spent a spring as an employee in their garden department loading blocks and bags.

At least then, we were trained to work in one specific department.

Staying as far from the plumbing and irrigation section was the name of the game because you didn't want to get stuck helping some homeowner who had some shitty project going on at home.

It's the Walmart of building supply stores, plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Me: The next time you see it, reach down and pick it up between your thumb and fore finger. Raise it up and look at it. Then squeeze it REAL hard.

my father in law (past) would hand you a beer no matter if you wanted one or not, sit you down and tell you about his battle with grubs in the summers of 97/98. i got the 1000 yard stare from him when grubs came up

when his mind was going, i brought up grubs. got good 45 min out of him, fuck he hated grubs

thanks for the side road wooley

anyway, yep, HD sucks........

Funny you should pair Lowes. I was in a sort of dismal central NY town the past few days, and experienced the dual mega hardware store thing again. Was trying to find a liquor store (hoo boy), and, turn around in a HD lot and Google tells me to go behind the Lowes (behind the Lowes, mind you. hoo boy). Reminded me of driving up the Northway to go skiing and watching giant HD stores go up at exits, and then a Lowes right the fuck across the highway at the same exit! Every two exits! Like, does the world need that much shit? Especially in places that are dying?

Anyway, the CS sucks because they don't pay shit.

Funny on the Walmart comparison...in my mind:

Depot = Target
    Lowe’s = Walmart
    Menards = Dollar General

I’ve found myself shopping Ace, True Value and local landscape places lately for standard materials, something about them being locally owned appeals to me.

My company is a vendor of the Depot, their business is off the charts with the Rona and improvement projects.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Home Desperate

Home Dopey.

It goes by many names but it cost me nine grand.
    Fired a junkie employee for being a junkie three months after hire, once I found out he was a junkie.
    After I fired him, He stole a home desperate charge card from the work van. Bought nine thousand dollars of copper over the next two weeks before the statement ending.
    Probably got two hundred bucks at most for his efforts.
    Perfectly good pipe and wire sent to the scrap heap.

And home dopey shoved it up my ass for an unhappy ending.

I like Lowe’s.
    . . .

I let my battery get a little old and found it dead when I had just loaded up with a grand of stuff.
    Saw a parking lot attendant and asked if they had a jumper in the office, he went to check. Came back and said no. Proceeded to call someone at his house to bring one.
    In the mean time I busted out the wire brush and cleaned up the terminals and then got a spark. Flagged him down and said thanks for getting someone out in the cold to bring a jumper. Tried to give him a few bucks, rather insistently, and he kept saying no.
    Story of a top notch dude at a questionable establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    my father in law (past) would hand you a beer no matter if you wanted one or not, sit you down and tell you about his battle with grubs in the summers of 97/98. i got the 1000 yard stare from him when grubs came up

when his mind was going, i brought up grubs. got good 45 min out of him, fuck he hated grubs

thanks for the side road wooley

anyway, yep, HD sucks........
    I am picturing the Korea Seinfeld episode. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Funny on the Walmart comparison...in my mind:

Depot = Target
    Lowe’s = Walmart
    Funny, it's the total opposite where I live north of Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

What’s your recommendation for slugs?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums