Big Island Bike Challenge

So I have this idea that I keep thinking on. I pm'd a few of the Mags here and the idea is gaining traction.

I'm planning on a trip over to Big Island sometime mid, late April with objective to complete inaugural stage ride/group ride/fondo around the island. To be clear, I am making this 'event' up and am looking for guinea pigs to test course possibility. Maybe it will become an annual thing for fun, not trying to make money.

We will base out of small town of Milolii in South Kona district. I have room at my place for several wall tents or what have you and there are a bunch of cheap Air bnb in the immediate vicinity.

(mileage approximate)

Day 1) Milolii south to Pahala round trip with loop 70 miles, 5000 ft.

Day 2) Milolii north to Captain Cook round trip with loop 60 miles 5000ft

Day 3) Iron Man Course out and back 112 miles 5800 ft

Day 4) Kohala Mountain Route, loop from Kawaihai 50 miles 5000ft

Day 5) Mauna Loa from Hilo, round trip 90 miles 11,000 ft

Day 6) rest

Day 7) Mauna Kea from Waikiloa, round trip 115 miles, 14,000ft (hardest climb in the world, some say!)

Sound fun?! This might be impossible, but the fun would be in trying, though heat stroke, dehydration and sadness are real possibilities.

None of my real life friends think this would be fun what so ever, so here we are. (and I think the random group of people would add to 'event feel' lol)

I have a truck and minivan there that we can use as support. With that said maybe you just want to drive support? Maybe just a few stages and fuck off the other days?

I'm offering free accommodations but they are rough, which adds to the experience in my opinion. Adequate solar to charge phones, ice in coolers for refrigeration, composting toilet, camp shower. Hot as shit and centipedes come out at night. I've stayed there 6 months at a time while running and biking hard so I know it is doable as far as that goes. But again, there are nice houses to rent nearby.

1 min from the water to rinse and repeat for the next day... I can't wait!!

Who is with me?

Not much of a roadie, but there is some single track up Mauna Kae I’ve been eyeing!! Seems your can ride trail the whole way down to the water.

Anyways my folks have a coffee/mac nut farm south of town in Kona and my dad runs a dive Coop for any one who wants to dive.

Cheers and killer idea, just not my jam!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Not much of a roadie, but there is some single track up Mauna Kae I’ve been eyeing!! Seems your can ride trail the whole way down to the water.

Anyways my folks have a coffee/mac nut farm south of town in Kona and my dad runs a dive Coop for any one who wants to dive.

Cheers and killer idea, just not my jam!

Heading to Kona next week for 10 days. May have to hit your Dad up.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Heading to Kona next week for 10 days. May have to hit your Dad up.
    Of course, PM me and I’ll give you his contact

That'd be fun but border restrictions, re-entry protocols, and all the other bullshit that goes along with the plague make it a nope this year. I'm gonna stay home and ride BC rail trails.

Yeah coming from other country might be tricky. As far as getting to HI all you need is negative Covid test before getting on plane.

I know it is a big wacky idea but it might strike a chord with the right folks.

Skilyft, go check out Milolii when you there. Go to end of road and do Honomolino Beach hike. Hidden gem...

This is an appealing idea even despite the fact that I wouldn’t be able to ride those distances (and Hawaiian centipedes frighten me) but the covid borders issue prevents even considering it. If this is an annual event I’d come drive the sweeper van.

looks burly

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    This is an appealing idea even despite the fact that I wouldn’t be able to ride those distances (and Hawaiian centipedes frighten me) but the covid borders issue prevents even considering it. If this is an annual event I’d come drive the sweeper van.
    I just had to google Hawaiian centipedes, ugh, thanks lol.

Do I need a gravel bike? I can buy a new gravel bike if I need to?