Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Attachment 361236

Took this picture with 1000lbs of sand in the bed. Couldn't find anything broken with the suspension. Took it to the dealer to have them look it over and came up empty handed.
    Is your truck lifted? Hard to tell if it is just the squat but the front end looks higher than my 18.

If so, most lift kits actually decrease payload capacity as most will have softer springs.

If it isn't lifted your shit is broken or you are way off on your weight estimates, because I put 1k in my rig all the time and it doesn't sag like that.
    Live Free or Die

But I bet your mom does!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Is your truck lifted? Hard to tell if it is just the squat but the front end looks higher than my 18.
    If it isn't lifted your shit is broken or you are way off on your weight estimates, because I put 1k in my rig all the time and it doesn't sag like that.
    It has a factory leveling kit on it, put on by the dealership from where I purchased, so the front end is raised about 1inch. Funny thing putting the topper on (250lbs at most) made the bed sag about an inch. Took it back to the dealer at that point and they told me that was normal.

As for the picture that was taken after I loaded 20 50lb bags of sand in the bed to fill my kids sandbox.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Have you worked on tundras at all? Have you looked at the size of the wheelbearings, axle shafts, ring gears, brakes, frame, etc?

Have you compared those parts with a dana 60 axle, the supposed gold standard for beef? Or a semi float 14bolt gm rear end? Or the wimpy front diff in a gm 3/4 ton?

Other than the rear springs being tuned for comfort they are beefier than any 1/2 ton trucks besides the most recent ford's, and on par with any 3/4 ton gas truck made up until about 5 years ago when HD trucks became a dick wagging contest on who could nearly match a semi-truck for tow ratings.

Is it a 1 ton? No. Would I be scared to tow at the max tow capacity? No, I've done it quite a bit and it's fine. Would I be scared of a heavier popup or lightweight hardshell (ala early northern lite or bigfoot?) No, the truck can and will handle it.
    Tundras don't need work, so no I've never worked on one. What I've done is owned a LOT of trucks (Ford, GM, 4RNR, Suburbans, Nissan Titan, and now a Tundra), and worked in the fire service using 3/4T on up to Class D fire engines. I've used many other FS and BLM trucks along the way in the non-fire seasons. I understand the capability of trucks and the dynamics of carrying loads in pu beds.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    There’s no shortage of this discussion all over the internet but I’d say it’s generally a pretty even split. Some are more risk averse than others, and that’s what it come down to. I think it’s possible to beef up a truck enough to handle the extra weight, but how do you know what’s sufficient and are you willing to stake your and others safety? The other question is, does that stuff apply when it comes to a legal issue or an insurance claim?

Another option if you’re trying to avoid a 3/4 ton is to find an F150 with the payload package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russet Burbank View Post
    This about sums up the entire TC discussion. And the F150 w payload package is the best (afaik) 1/2T option (except it's a Ford. LOL)

What is the Nissan Titan payload? I had one a while back and thought is was the stoutest 1/2T available.
    Everyone can do what they want and Bagtagley has hit the nail on the head. OTOH if the OP ever wants to upgrade his TC or tow a boat to camp at the lake or bring a utility trailer w toys or a sled to the BC the Tundra MAY prove to be inadequate, ymmv.

I've been in the market for a pop up TC for nearly a year and wouldn't dream of putting one on my Tundra, but I'll NEVER sell my 2013 Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Removed fridge, water tank, water heater, and cabover cupboards.

OME Dakar leaves, TRD sway, Bilstein remote reservoir rears.

Firestone bags for leveling side to side.

Empty it's right at GVWR.

Works for me for a few trips a year. Rest of the time it wears a fiberglass cap. Rear end is stiff when empty but not as stiff as a 1T etc. With 600lbs of camping gear or whatever it handles superbly... and I only use it as a truck so that works well. It's not a weaksauce Tacoma.

Attachment 361184

Attachment 361185
    Now this is a bad ass setup. What size tires and offset?

As far as cost of ownership, Toyota is absolutely amazing. ( I own a landscape biz with 2 fords, 2 chevys, and 1 gmc. There is always stuff that’s needed that Toyota’s just don’t burn through- u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, plugs, coils, etc. ) Just traded in my 2012 Tundra, bought it used with 40,000 on it for $20k, put 100,000 miles on it and got $13,500 for the trade in. Just got a 2018 with 15k miles and the payment is actually cheaper.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	361254

Paying close attention to this thread. We did a month long trip through the National parks From glacier to CO in my 2012 Tundra. But I had a fiberglass shell and built the platform with an RV mattress on top. Would love to go for longer, somewhere different, and have a slide in.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Attachment 361236

Took this picture with 1000lbs of sand in the bed. Couldn't find anything broken with the suspension. Took it to the dealer to have them look it over and came up empty handed.
    Either your suspension's fucked or that's way more than 1000lbs of sand. I've had 3000lbs in the bed and didn't have half as much sag.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Either your suspension's fucked or that's way more than 1000lbs of sand. I've had 3000lbs in the bed and didn't have half as much sag.
    You put 3000# in the bed of a stock Tundra?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have no current helpful info but I did just jump in with both feet.
    2019 DC Tundra with full OME 3” lift
    2021 Scout Olympic (On order)

Name:	61A83410-DC73-452A-906D-A41354AE0C28.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	918.6 KB 
ID:	361263

Name:	0704F701-E28D-4D5B-99DE-525EFD0B76B1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	978.9 KB 
ID:	361265

I will be adding airbags to the truck, had Timbrens on my 2012 and it was a harsh ride when loaded heavy and riding on them. This will not be getting great gas mileage but the 38 gallon tank will be nice.
    Everything I need to know I learned from my dog. "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away".

Quote Originally Posted by Mukker4life View Post
    I have no current helpful info but I did just jump in with both feet.
    2019 DC Tundra with full OME 3” lift
    2021 Scout Olympic (On order)

I will be adding airbags to the truck, had Timbrens on my 2012 and it was a harsh ride when loaded heavy and riding on them. This will not be getting great gas mileage but the 38 gallon tank will be nice.
    Good luck and have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You put 3000# in the bed of a stock Tundra?
    Wet gravel. Not an official weight but it was yard and a half of 1/4 minus

Timely thread. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pop up from Outfitter (around 1,000lbs) on my '12 Tundra. By all accounts it should be fine with airbags and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Big asterisk as I’m going by memory, but I believe the previous gen with payload pckg only came in single and extended cab with the long bed or four door with the 6’ bed. I ran into a ton that were improperly listed as having the payload pckg. The easiest way to ID them is the package-specific 7 lug wheels.

Attachment 361217

The current gen increased payload across the board with the aluminum skin, so that really boosted the PP models, but IDing gets more complicated. There are limited models and options that can include the PP, so you can look for things that don’t belong like console shift, etc. That was the case a couple years ago but may have changed. The dealers generally have no idea and will just say “yes” so ask for a pic of the payload sticker to verify.
    I was trying to buy that truck this year. I could not find one at a dealer. I was unable to special order one. I ended up with a truck with 2015lb payload that will tow 11000lbs. Would of been nice to get the additional 700 lbs. That f250 posted would probably work better for the camper. I am very happy with the 22 miles to the gallon I am getting. First oil change tomorrow will see if the dealer washes the truck for me. Also 36 gallon tank over 700 mile range is a nice feature.
    off your knees Louie

Just got a Scout Olympic on a 2019 DC Tundra. Have aftermarket leaves and airbags. Seems like it is right at the limit of the truck. I also need to tow sleds around most of the winter. Headed to the scale tomorrow to see what it actually comes out to. will update soon.
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Timely thread. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pop up from Outfitter (around 1,000lbs) on my '12 Tundra. By all accounts it should be fine with airbags and tires.
    I'd opt for a spring package to increase the payload and upgraded shocks as I just did w my '13 before putting a FWC on. I tow a bit w the TC so actual payload was important to. It rides better than new. Air bags can squish or break and if they're linked to each other as one bag compresses the other expands.

I sent my buddy down to do his a month ago and he's thrilled w it. '18 Tundra dbl cab w 8' bed w a FWC Grandby.

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	392854

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I'd opt for a spring package to increase the payload and upgraded shocks as I just did w my '13 before putting a FWC on. I tow a bit w the TC so actual payload was important to. It rides better than new. Air bags can squish or break and if they're linked to each other as one bag compresses the other expands.

I sent my buddy down to do his a month ago and he's thrilled w it. '18 Tundra dbl cab w 8' bed w a FWC Grandby.

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	392854
    A couple of weeks after that post I found a loaded 17 tundra/fwc 18 hawk combo. Airbags, anti sway bar, lift kit etc etc that the previous owner did. I don't even notice the camper

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    A couple of weeks after that post I found a loaded 17 tundra/fwc 18 hawk combo. Airbags, anti sway bar, lift kit etc etc that the previous owner did. I don't even notice the camper

Very cool find. Campers and trucks were selling in a matter of hours back then.

Very cool find. Campers and trucks were selling in a matter of hours back then.
    Yeah, pretty stoked

WFH in CB pays ducats!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I usually pull a 17' Casita but when rivertripping I put a cabover on my 06 Crewcab long bed and pull a raft trailer with stock suspension and no issues. I think the camper is 1000#. I usually pull the cabover off and put the shell back on. but if I have multi trips in the works I lift it in the driveway with the floor jack to give the springs a break. It's usually parked if I'm not on a road trip.

I gave up on the possibility of using a Tundra about a day after starting this thread. Ridiculously large F350 is now in the driveway.

I do wish the Tundra would have been able to handle the load - it would ride and drive better, and Ford's fit and finish is sloppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I gave up on the possibility of using a Tundra about a day after starting this thread. Ridiculously large F350 is now in the driveway.

I do wish the Tundra would have been able to handle the load - it would ride and drive better, and Ford's fit and finish is sloppy.

Personally I want my sports truck back!

Ready to buy a GM 3500 dedicated to a 4 season TC. The FWC is a stretch into the 4th season unless you're plugged in w unlimited propane.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    WFH in CB pays ducats!
    DINK status helps a lot.

The FWC is a stretch into the 4th season unless you're plugged in w unlimited propane.
    We did great in ours late last winter, with at least a couple of nights below zero. Usually didn't even dip into the 2nd propane tank with 2 nights out.

Ready to buy a GM 3500 dedicated to a 4 season TC. The FWC is a stretch into the 4th season unless you're plugged in w unlimited propane.
    I've seen this complaint from a few FWC owners and am glad I didn't get one. My Outfiitter does awesome in very, very cold weather. The soft wall is surprisingly insulated. I do have to fill propane about every 3-4 days in the middle of winter, but the battery is more likely to be the limiting factor in how long I can stay in one place.

Doesn't FWC sell a winter kit?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What year is your truck? Is it a 6.7?