Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Toyota Tundra with a camper

Anyone here have a current Tundra (the 2007+ one) with a truck camper in the bed? Not a shell, not a Flip Pac, but a camper like a Four Wheel Camper, other popup, or even a hard side.

Curious how it handles the load and what modifications you did to address the weight. E range tires would be necessary, and probably either airbags or Timbren/ Sumo Springs.

The 8' bed double cab Tundra has me wondering if I can make it work with my Northstar popup camper. I've been shopping for an updated 3/4 or 1 ton truck for a while, and prices remain ridiculously high for used trucks. If a Tundra would work, a new one is only marginally more expensive than a 5-year old F250, and it'd be nicer to drive when not loaded.

Starting a new thread specific to the Tundra - I know this overlaps with the "ski RV sleeping in parking lots" but trying to find info specific to this truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

What does your camper weigh?

Almost always, even if the camper fits under the weight rating, by the time you pack your family, dog, food, water and all the other accoutrements for adventure you will be well over the rating.

Sure you could upgrade springs and tires, and it might work in practice, but you will be maxed out and if you wreck, and notably if you wreck into somebody else and they get hurt, insurance could deny your claim. Adding airbags and e rated tires doesn't pass muster legally.

I say this as a man who has a DC long bed. I went back and forth on it and settled on a very nice camper shell from century and shit in the woods.
    Live Free or Die

My buddy has a 4WC and a recent issue Tundra Extended Cab LB and he gets by w it fine. Not sure if he's done any mods but will check. Check the weight rating of the wheels before putting the E range tires on, they might need upgraded as well. Also rv.net has all kinds of TC/truck threads and a bunch of old guys ready to answer questions.

New Tundra?

Don’t do it dude. 2018 Tundra here, I put a basic topper on and have visual sagging. I can’t carry a load of firewood without maxing this truck the fuck out. It tows my 5000 lb boat well and has a great back seat for the kids. The bed is a joke and not good for anything more than the dog. A 1/2 ton Chevy or Ford would be better, a 3/4 would kick ass!

I'd stay with a 3/4 ton if it were me. I agree though, prices are redonkulous.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Don’t do it dude. 2018 Tundra here, I put a basic topper on and have visual sagging. I can’t carry a load of firewood without maxing this truck the fuck out. It tows my 5000 lb boat well and has a great back seat for the kids. The bed is a joke and not good for anything more than the dog. A 1/2 ton Chevy or Ford would be better, a 3/4 would kick ass!
    There are two different bed lengths. Which do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    There are two different bed lengths. Which do you have?
    Is the factory suspension any different?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Tundra payload is something like 1600#, looking at what I see online for the double cab 8' bed 4WD. My camper has a sticker saying it is 1750# wet (full propane, battery, and 30 gallon water). So, it's over the stated payload.

OTOH, I see a shit ton of Tacomas with FWC, or with shell + roof tent + pile of overland stuff + bumpers, sliders, winch - - that are far less capable platforms to start with, and must be far far over payload. Tacoma payload is something like 1100#.

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500. I kinda want a newer truck, but the 3/4-1 ton trucks aren't getting any cheaper.

you can get the 4x4 campers loaded up with all kinds of shit or stripped and they they will all look the same
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is the factory suspension any different?
    The same weight distributed over a longer bed means some weight moves off the rear axle and onto the front axle. I thought that may make a difference in payload capacity but the Toyota website suggests there is no meaningful difference. Not as far as their ratings anyway.

Tundra payload is something like 1600#, looking at what I see online for the double cab 8' bed 4WD. My camper has a sticker saying it is 1750# wet (full propane, battery, and 30 gallon water). So, it's over the stated payload.

OTOH, I see a shit ton of Tacomas with FWC, or with shell + roof tent + pile of overland stuff + bumpers, sliders, winch - - that are far less capable platforms to start with, and must be far far over payload. Tacoma payload is something like 1100#.

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500. I kinda want a newer truck, but the 3/4-1 ton trucks aren't getting any cheaper.
    Buying a truck that you already know you are gonna exceed doesn't seem like a winning strategy to me.

You'll be at ~2250lbs loaded once you add beer, etc. Probably going to be a LOT cheaper to refurb the chevy. I have a '13 Tundra reg cab w 5.7 and it absolutely drinks gas w a load on it.

The same weight distributed over a longer bed means some weight moves off the rear axle and onto the front axle. I thought that may make a difference in payload capacity but the Toyota website suggests that is not the case. Not as far as their ratings anyway.

The TC weight is borne by the rear axle almost 100%. The rear axle weight capacity is really the limiting factor. Heavier springs, heavier tires and wheels, air bags,anti-sway bars etc can improve the ride, handling and stance, but may as well have bought the correct capacity truck from the get go, imho.

Dammit.

Oh well. Back to searching for 3/4 ton and bigger, and waiting...

My 2003 Tacoma payload (4X4, x-cab, off-road pkg) is #1500lbs. It will carry my 600lbs sled, and 2 guys and gear (500lbs) without issue. But that's it.

What is your budget, Chup? And are you willing to have something shipped?

A buddy has a 2nd Gen Tundra with a FWC Hawk. He originally had just airbags but has since thrown down on a full OME suspension from Slee Offroad. He says it handles like a dream.

I have a Outfitter Caribou Lite in a 1st gen Tundra. Running aftermarket shocks, an add-a-leaf, and airbags. drives great.

Your Northstar is probably too much but you can absolutely run a lighter camper in either generation Tundra.

What is your budget, Chup? And are you willing to have something shipped?
    Intriguing... Why?

Budget is somewhat flexible, depends a lot on the truck itself. Not looking to spend $40K+, on anything.

Trying to figure out if you're open to looking out of state and if we need to start a thread titled Find Chup a Cah, Brah.

Sure, I'll go out of state. I'm in Reno NV.

My ideal used truck is something out of California, no salt. Not one of the Alberta oil field trucks that I keep seeing listed for sale in Oregon and Idaho - those things look hammered.

Negotiate a few thou off sticker, add a thou for shipping, and this is pretty close.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Have you tried pricing something new and local via Costco?

Trying to figure out if you're open to looking out of state and if we need to start a thread titled Find Chup a Cah, Brah.
    I'm in on this no question. The man has already given so much.
    I still call it The Jake.

You are looking for, like, <5yr old trucks I gather? I swear somebody had a sweet 7.3 3/4 ton for sale on here recently. That'd haul the shit out of a camper

Negotiate a few thou off sticker, add a thou for shipping, and this is pretty close.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Have you tried pricing something new and local via Costco?
    Whoah. OK, I need to shop new ones too, I guess. That truck would be perfect.