Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    You are looking for, like, <5yr old trucks I gather? I swear somebody had a sweet 7.3 3/4 ton for sale on here recently. That'd haul the shit out of a camper
    I was tempted. I think VTeton has it listed.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My experience shopping domestic trucks was that 15% off sticker was baseline, 20+% very doable with some emailing and patience (cyclical factory rebates and such help). Usually a little less wiggle with the 3/4 ton, but they’ll still knock a bunch off.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Paging norseman and jackattack. Also look at the RV thread.

Toyota Tundra with a camper

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Paging norseman and jackattack. Also look at the RV thread.
    Yeah, I was holding back considering it’s been covered ad nauseum in the rv thread but... It works fine for a few trips a year. If I was full timing I’d go back to the big diesel but daily driving the Toyota is SOOOOOOO much better.

Only modifications I’ve made is e-rated tires and airbags.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8771.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1,018.5 KB 
ID:	361163

Name:	IMG_7238.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	361164

If you don’t think most domestic one ton diesels hauling quadruple slide 12’ campers aren’t over gvwr, you’re delusional.

Want to save on costs so looking at a Tundra. Does not compute.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Cost of ownership over a modern diesel is no comparison, Tundra is cheaper.

Resale value over domestic gassers is no comparison, Tundra is higher.

Pencils out fine in my books.

I guess if your plan is to buy a cheap high mile domestic, that’s another equation altogether. But sounds like the OP already has one of those.

Not everyone want to drive a POS

I’m a Toyota fan boy, worked at a couple Toyota dealerships over the years. I loved my two Tacomas, beat the shit out of them. I even tried to tow my first camping trailer with my 2007 Tacoma, that was a mistake.

There is no substitute for a 3/4 or one ton truck if you are hauling a load. Typically you don’t want to tow/haul more than 80% of your capacity. If you ever get into hilly terrain at the limits of your vehicle you’ll see what I mean. My scariest time behind the wheel was towing my 19’ trailer over big mountain pass in my Tacoma. I was fine the whole way up, the backside was a different situation, brakes fading way before the bottom will scare the shit out of you.

Keep searching, buy a GM product if available, Ford next, then travel as far as you can not to buy a Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    ...........If you don’t think most domestic one ton diesels hauling quadruple slide 12’ campers aren’t over gvwr, you’re delusional.
    GVWR is only part of the story, neither axle alone is allowed to be over weight so in the case of truck campers with the weight on the rear axle that is the key number to look at. It's good to run over a truck scale and get the exact weights of the truck, truck and camper, and each axle loaded.

That's a nice BF and truck. I understand the newer BF's are quite a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Negotiate a few thou off sticker, add a thou for shipping, and this is pretty close.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Have you tried pricing something new and local via Costco?
    Ain't nobody getting wet if you roll up in a XL W/T package.... King ranch or go home. El chup you know what you have to do now

If a Tundra would work, I could get what I want/need for around $35K, new. That is in contrast to a 5-year old F250 for $30K.

When I started casually shopping for a replacement truck a year or two ago, it seemed like I could find appropriate ones in the low $20K range. Now, the same trucks are older, but more expensive.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Ain't nobody getting wet if you roll up in a XL W/T package.... King ranch or go home. El chup you know what you have to do now
    That XL work truck would be perfect for our use. Camping, biking, skiing, dirty dogs...

Our current truck features 3 doors and manual windows. Nearly anything is going to be nicer.

Removed fridge, water tank, water heater, and cabover cupboards.

OME Dakar leaves, TRD sway, Bilstein remote reservoir rears.

Firestone bags for leveling side to side.

Empty it's right at GVWR.

Works for me for a few trips a year. Rest of the time it wears a fiberglass cap. Rear end is stiff when empty but not as stiff as a 1T etc. With 600lbs of camping gear or whatever it handles superbly... and I only use it as a truck so that works well. It's not a weaksauce Tacoma.

Name:	20200219_073655.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	361184

Name:	20191103_161156.jpeg 
Views:	164 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	361185

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    OTOH, I see a shit ton of Tacomas with FWC, or with shell + roof tent + pile of overland stuff + bumpers, sliders, winch - - that are far less capable platforms to start with, and must be far far over payload. Tacoma payload is something like 1100#.
    Actually the Tacoma’s payload goes as high as 1,620 and the Tundra is 1,730. I woulda bet my paycheck their would be more than a 110 difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think you put a heavier set of spring on a tundra (see norseman with ome) and a tundra rivals anything domestic 3/4 ton gas in regards to stoutness. In fact the rear axle in a tundra is as stout as alot of 1ton trucks, it's out of hino medium duty cab over trucks originally and much bigger than the land cruiser axles everyone gets hot and bothered about.

This was the same situation I was in last year. I’ve had 3 Tacomas and wanted a slide in camper. Sold the Tacoma and started shopping for a bigger truck. Big 'yota fan and wanted a tundra but the payload is pretty low and started looking domestic. Realized I didn’t want a 3/4 ton as a daily driver and really wanted to stay with Toyota.

Decided to go for a light weight camper, FWC Hawk shell model, about 1,000# dry. I didn’t want sink, stove, and shitter so it was an easy solution. Tundra has a 1300# payload so loaded up I’m about at limit or slightly over.
    There is no shortage of discussion of this topic on the overland forums, and most say it’s fine.

I added e rated tires and airbags cause the camper is only on part time, if not I think an added a leaf spring would be a good idea.

Truck handles the load no problem, hardly registers any difference except on corners and off-road. Good solution for my needs but ymmv. It sleeps our family of 3 comfortably with a good heater and I can rally from the mountains to Baja no problems. The camper is on a dolly in the garage and I have my truck when not in use.
    Last edited by Lee Murian; 02-04-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Keep searching, buy a GM product if available, Ford next, then travel as far as you can not to buy a Dodge.
    ^^^^^Truth

similar experience as BobMc, I towed a 2000# boat with my tacoma back in the day, which was under the towing limit of the vehicle and went to stop at a light and the boat pushed me right through the intersection.

There’s no shortage of this discussion all over the internet but I’d say it’s generally a pretty even split. Some are more risk averse than others, and that’s what it come down to. I think it’s possible to beef up a truck enough to handle the extra weight, but how do you know what’s sufficient and are you willing to stake your and others safety? The other question is, does that stuff apply when it comes to a legal issue or an insurance claim?

Another option if you’re trying to avoid a 3/4 ton is to find an F150 with the payload package.

Can you sell your current camper and get into something lighter?

I think long term ownership of a Tundra would have way way less hassles than a domestic.

I bought and old Apache popup for my 06 crew cab. 1000# and it only goes on to pull a raft trailer or camp trip above treeline accessed by high clearance 4wd road. Otherwise I pull a 17' Casita. My day driver is a 95 Corolla with 67K original miles for 40+ mpg.

Anyone is this thread comparing a 2007+ Tundra to any Tacoma clearly has not owned a Tundra. My tundra is every bit as solid as the gas 3/4 chevy pickups I've owned.

El chup just get a tundra and have some heavy springs installed.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    There’s no shortage of this discussion all over the internet but I’d say it’s generally a pretty even split. Some are more risk averse than others, and that’s what it come down to. I think it’s possible to beef up a truck enough to handle the extra weight, but how do you know what’s sufficient and are you willing to stake your and others safety? The other question is, does that stuff apply when it comes to a legal issue or an insurance claim?

Another option if you’re trying to avoid a 3/4 ton is to find an F150 with the payload package.
    This about sums up the entire TC discussion. And the F150 w payload package is the best (afaik) 1/2T option (except it's a Ford. LOL)

What is the Nissan Titan payload? I had one a while back and thought is was the stoutest 1/2T available.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Anyone is this thread comparing a 2007+ Tundra to any Tacoma clearly has not owned a Tundra. My tundra is every bit as solid as the gas 3/4 chevy pickups I've owned.

El chup just get a tundra and have some heavy springs installed.
    Both will be over the certified GVWR with a slide-in, so they have that in common.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Actually the Tacoma’s payload goes as high as 1,620 and the Tundra is 1,730. I woulda bet my paycheck their would be more than a 110 difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The most common Tacoma seems to be the 4-door, 4WD, shortbed. Payload 1100ish. To get up to 1500# means a standard cab, 2WD, which is not useful to me.

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/featur...7594/7544/7582

We had a 2005 Tacoma in the 4-door, 4WD, shortbed version. Mrs C had a long series of small Toyota pickups before that one.

Both will be over the certified GVWR with a slide-in, so they have that in common.
    Who cares? So is every doofus with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a lance or arctic fox or bigfoot.

I'll have to research and see if that's available in the configuration I'd want/need: extended cab or larger, 4WD, 8' bed. Thanks.