BETA - the rebirth of BIKE Mag

https://www.betamtb.com/

BIKE's crew resurrected with their first issue coming in March. Looks to be Ski Journal-esque with quarterly print and a $42/yr price. As a part of the Pocket Outdoor group they're trying to pitch a $84/yr "pass" that gives you additional titles access, free Velopress books, and other benefits - https://www.betamtb.com/gear/compone.../#_active-pass

The website looks nice. If nothing else, shedding the old skin and restarting things on their own terms should bring a more modern product alongside the history and embedded qualities from BIKE's history.

Still hoping that Reddick can maneuver something similar with Powder!

Its probably wishful thinking they would fulfil the remaining Bike mag subcription issues rather than Mens journal I've been getting.

Everything they’ve put out looks nice and had a very hip and modern feel to it. I’m into it, so as long as I don’t have to read or hear too much about Ryan Palmer’s intermediate and pedestrian opinions on bikes. My blood boiled many times when watching the Bible of bike reviews and hearing his voice.

Name:  IMG_3010.JPG
Views: 1620
Size:  183.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Its probably wishful thinking they would fulfil the remaining Bike mag subcription issues rather than Mens journal I've been getting.
    I never even thought of that... i had an online subscription to Bike and just thought it was all lost...

I'm sure it's under a different company. Would be nice though. I'm not subscribing to any more magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    Everything they’ve put out looks nice and had a very hip and modern feel to it. I’m into it, so as long as I don’t have to read or hear too much about Ryan Palmer’s intermediate and pedestrian opinions on bikes. My blood boiled many times when watching the Bible of bike reviews and hearing his voice.

Name:  IMG_3010.JPG
Views: 1620
Size:  183.8 KB
    I'm sure with your expert skills your opinions are far more valuable.

It'll be interesting to see how these guys do with their new business model. They're trying to charge $49/yr for their "Beta Pass" (or whatever they call it), but they don't seem to have that much new content to include. It's a tough game to play when the biggest competitor puts out new content- albeit not always their own- every single day. I am curious to see what the new print magazine looks like, but not for $49. The stories they have on the site for their launch are really good, but is it sustainable to need new content like that non-stop in order to satiate their paying subscribers?

The other thing is their "Beta Tests"... spitting images of the old Bible of Bike Tests. And those were fucking horrible. Maybe I'm in the minority, but those video bike tests are painful to watch. They definitely should have freshened those up and gone in a new direction.

I hope they succeed and do well, but they're definitely going to have to separate themselves from the old Bike ways if they want to do so.