Anyone using (CB)Mallet Enduros

One of my kids wants them for his birthday and the idea of Pins on a cleated pedal is causing me reservations.

Thanks

I stopped using mallets a while back...a properly low slung bike will occasionally result in that crank bros xwing releasing your foot simply because the lower portion brushed a rock, which sucks. Plus poor durability.

The HT T1 pedals are better in all respects. The std pins don’t interfere with twisting out. I suppose if someone installed long ass pins then maybe that’d be an issue.

Anyway your kid prolly doesn’t care about the advantages of the HT pedal, so Mallet away
    Last edited by frorider; 02-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Shimano Saint Pedals are pinned and SPD. I'll sell you a used pair for $50 + shipping.

The pins on these pedals are only engaged on landings, or when you aren't 'clipped' in and your shoe flexes around where the cleat clips in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I have been running the Enduros since they came out. Everybody tells me how much they suck but mine keep on kicking and nothing feels quite like them. You can remove the pins or burry them into the pedal but I dont know why you would.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I’ve ran the enduros and the dh’s on many bikes. I liked them a lot for their feel and ability to help create more tension/ grip by raising the pins to contact the sole of the shoe. This is also with a proper soled shoe, 5.10 hellcat and hellcat pro, not some xc disco slipper. I’ve also had good luck with the mallets I’ve owned, not a single has blown up on me.

All that said, I’m now on the ht’s and love them. I don’t blown through brass cleats every 2 weeks. I dig the tension and feeling of the pedals. Plus, the interface with all my shoes is money.

This is just my opinion, but after riding most of the high end offerings out there the last 12 years, I’ll only ride ht’s or mallets. They feel good and work well for the riding I do and places I ride.

I like the design of the HT, but like the idea of only one shoe for multiple bikes, so Mallets it is. His hard tail already has crank brothers.

I'll sell you some mallet e's for a reasonable price. Nothing wrong with them - I'm just a Time guy. They're almost new and include the cleats and all the little widgets that come with the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    I’ve ran the enduros and the dh’s on many bikes. I liked them a lot for their feel and ability to help create more tension/ grip by raising the pins to contact the sole of the shoe. This is also with a proper soled shoe, 5.10 hellcat and hellcat pro, not some xc disco slipper. I’ve also had good luck with the mallets I’ve owned, not a single has blown up on me.

All that said, I’m now on the ht’s and love them. I don’t blown through brass cleats every 2 weeks. I dig the tension and feeling of the pedals. Plus, the interface with all my shoes is money.

This is just my opinion, but after riding most of the high end offerings out there the last 12 years, I’ll only ride ht’s or mallets. They feel good and work well for the riding I do and places I ride.
    This has been my experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have the mallet 2s, which don't have pins. I don't see the need for pins, I like a little bit of float. I know some people don't like CBs, but I've had several pairs over the past 20 or so years, including the mallet 2s for the past 5 or so. I beat the shit out of them. Never had an issue.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I had enduros for five years or so. I liked them. I moved to spd and ditched the hybrid platform thing and I’m happy I did, but I don’t do a lot of free riding so it makes some sense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I have the mallet 2s, which don't have pins. I don't see the need for pins, I like a little bit of float. I know some people don't like CBs, but I've had several pairs over the past 20 or so years, including the mallet 2s for the past 5 or so. I beat the shit out of them. Never had an issue.
    x2
    Pins on clipless is stupid. remove them.
    That said,
    Switched to XTR w/ Shimano ME7 shoes last year.
    Instant engagement. It's like they have magnets guiding the cleats into the pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    x2
    Pins on clipless is stupid. remove them.
    Have you tried it? What was your shoe/pedal combo? What type of riding were you doing?

We used to blow Crankbrothers pedals to bits like 3-4x a season racing downhill on them in the early to mid 2000s. Haven't touched them since then, maybe they've improved. Switched to Time ATACs and they're much better IMO.

I like a caged / platform clipless pedal on my trail bike - the ability to locate the pedal underfoot a bit more quickly is nice, as is the additional protection around the mechanism when riding rocky areas. The pins / platform really only engage if you're riding in a pretty soft shoe though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBison View Post
    Have you tried it? What was your shoe/pedal combo? What type of riding were you doing?
    If you're talking about trying pins w/ clipless, then no, I haven't but I know others who have. The pins make it extremely difficult to get clipped in. Clipless works by sliding the shoe into place. Platforms w/ pins work by keeping the shoe from sliding.
    Diametrically opposed.
    Also, most clipless shoes have lugs which work very poorly with pins, which really require a flat bottom surface to work well.
    I used Mallet Enduros (without pins) with both Mavic and Shimano shoes for years, racing Enduro and DH. They're great pedals w/ no need for pins. I never slid off them in not-clipped-in situations.

Ok bringing this back to the OP’s question about pins on a clip in pedal. Does it work? Yes, can’t even count the number of people I’ve ridden with over the years who conclude Yes. Why does it not interfere with clipping in? Because most people are using stock pins that are too short to interfere. OK, but do those short pins do anything useful in terms of stopping your foot from going off the pedal when you intentionally or unintentionally are not clipped in? In my experience, no, those short pins don’t do much of anything but I’m sure some combos of pins and shoe designs could be different in terms of grip.

The pin height is adjustable. There is a height where they will interfere with clipping into the pedal. There is a height where they never touch the shoe and do nothing. There are also heights in between those two extremes.

But if you're riding around on clipless pedals while not clipped in, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    if you're riding around on clipless pedals while not clipped in, you're doing it wrong.
    What he said

Like toast said, the pins can make it difficult to get in. What can also make it difficult to get in is the interface between the sole of the shoe and pedal. You might need shims or to trim away some of the sole to make this work. This only is with flat sole and non lugged shoes, ie giro chamber, all the 5.10 offering, the new CB line up of shoes, and many more.

I’m going to push back on those that say you don’t need them. When I first started riding mallets, coming from times, I loved the fact (and still do with my x2’s) that I could raise the pins slightly on my mallet dh’s to help lock in my foot more when slapping turns. There’s been many a races where I’ve been glad I’ve had some extra “tension” through the pins to keep my foot in the pedal. This has all been with hellcats, xvi’s, and hellcat pros (flat soles).

I will agree with all of you that if your riding in a slipper type shoe or any shoe with lugs, and you have pins in your pedals. You’re an idiot.

Hope your kid likes the mallets op. If you’d like another pair, I’m sure I can scrounge up a pair of dh’s to send you for the cost of a rack of rainier.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The pin height is adjustable. There is a height where they will interfere with clipping into the pedal. There is a height where they never touch the shoe and do nothing. There are also heights in between those two extremes.

But if you're riding around on clipless pedals while not clipped in, you're doing it wrong.
    Which can also vary with how stiff your shoe is. And if it's soft enough to make a difference, then it's probably too soft.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.