Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

San Juans - the Nose

Ouch. 3 missing

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKyw5rnl...=19tadtkqa9dtl

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

ohhh, not good.

edit: been in the area in summer for hikes up to surrounding lakes, beautiful area. 3 still buried and time of essence with storm rolling in tomorrow.

On February 1, 2021, a group of backcountry skiers triggered a large avalanche between the towns of Silverton and Ophir. They were traveling in an area locally known as The Nose. Four people were caught, carried, and fully buried in the debris. The group recovered one person with minor injuries. The other three people are still missing. Search and rescue operations lasted into the night and will continue this morning. The avalanche released on a northeast-facing slope near 11,500 feet (near treeline). The backcountry avalanche danger is Considerable (Level 3) in most of Colorado's Central and Southern Mountains. Please check the forecast before you head out (www.colorado.gov/avalanche) and do not underestimate the danger.
    #GetTheForecast #COAvyObs

Ugh. Looking at that slope on Google Earth the terrain traps on both sides look to be significant.

Ugh. Wonder how big the group was? Since it said 4 were buried and "the group" recovered one of the 4? Is this anywhere near Opus Hut (wondering if they were touring from there)?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ugh. Wonder how big the group was? Since it said 4 were buried and "the group" recovered one of the 4? Is this anywhere near Opus Hut (wondering if they were touring from there)?
    I was wondering the same. Sounds like a decent sized group. Its pretty close to the Opus hut if I'm looking at it on the map correctly.

Pretty sure that's right across from the OPUS hut

I think maybe so. Certainly looks like the vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I just left Silverton on 550 and a helicopter just flew right over my head headed straight for Ophir area

NE bowl of battleship went huge 3 days ago. Huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I just left Silverton on 550 and a helicopter just flew right over my head headed straight for Ophir area

NE bowl of battleship went huge 3 days ago. Huge.
    Friends of mine were skiing Battlescars when the Battleship/Destroyer went big. R2D3.

I've looked at The Nose when skiing North Battleship/Battlescars and from Anvil. Always thought I'd go ski that stuff whenever I got to stay at the Opus hut eventually. With the group size and location it is hard to believe it is anything but an Opus hut group. Vibes to those involved.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorgg View Post
    Pretty sure that's right across from the OPUS hut
    Yup, if you're standing their deck looking across the valley this slope is in front and to the right.

Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

we are in a bubble over here. It was hot over here yesterday. I was telling my friend maybe it was time to head to Silverton area for some higher elevation skiing. Hard to imagine the snowpack being that bad over there. My friend is involved with La Plata search and rescue the call came around 5:30 yesterday. The long and lat showed it pretty much right below the opus hut. My thoughts to all those affected by this tragedy.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Ugh. Looking at that slope on Google Earth the terrain traps on both sides look to be significant.
    I was gonna say that's terrain trap city right there. Maybe that's why they couldn't locate the other three.

Hopefully it was quick and painless for them.

The survivor is lucky af.

Skiing is pretty cool but it sure ain't worth getting dead for it. I'm glad I'm past the urge to ski anything that may be suspect. The desert sun sure is nice this season.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Shitty to have to hope for that but yes indeed.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fuck. terrible news.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	410.4 KB 
ID:	360921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1067.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	360922

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

That’s The Nose in the center of the picture as seen from Hwy 550.

Telluride HeliTrax is bombing the area, presumably for rescuers to get in there

SAR lady I briefly chatted with confirmed it was guests of the Opus Hut.

Serious shit.

Absolutely terrible. I've traversed the Nose many times coming back to the hut from Paradise Basin, but in much safer avy conditions. It's just a massive terrain trap at the bottom where debris can fill in 100' deep. RIP.

Still have an OPUS hut trip planned for late March, but it's impossible to feel good about it right now with 5 deaths in that general area this season.
    Old's Cool.

JFC. That's awful.

San Juans - the Nose

Terrible to hear. RIP.

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Apparently at least one person I know is one of the missing. Big bummer. Hoping for a good outcome but it sounds shitty. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Apparently at least one person I know is one of the missing. Big bummer. Hoping for a good outcome but it sounds shitty. Ugh.
    Vibes NR, this is horrible......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

All 3 are friends of mine. All were exceptional humans. Godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Damn dude, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending good vibes and energy to all those affected. Fucking heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Fuck.

So sorry to both of you and any other mags who knew them. RIP.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy