Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Volkl Revolt 104/121

The 104 Revolts arrived today.

The minimal 2-3mm camber, combined with the amount of long rocker is fucking beautiful. Like the Sickle reincarnated but with 2mm of camber.

Last pic shows the length of the rocker when skis decambered.

Decided on Gold Pivot 15s on these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8910.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	427302

Name:	IMG_8911.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	427303

Name:	IMG_8913.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	427304

Name:	IMG_8914.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	427305

Name:	IMG_8915.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	427307

Name:	IMG_8916.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	427308

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-27-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    This deal isn’t horrible plus the pivots are purdy:

Volkl Revot 121 with Look Pivot 18s https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/69030851

I've thought of those. Much prefer that graphic to the current yellow ones.

Hoping demos are a little more attainable this year. Don’t normally jive with mounts nearly this progressive, but the weight and flex of the 191 121s has me curious, as well as the fact that some directional folks seem to like em. Seem like they could be a pretty good time, and I might just learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    The 104 Revolts arrived today.

The minimal 2-3mm camber, combined with the amount of long rocker is fucking beautiful. Like the Sickle reincarnated but with 2mm of camber.

Last pic shows the length of the rocker when skis decambered.

Decided on Forza 2.0 Pivot 15s on these.

Name:	IMG_8910.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	427302

Name:	IMG_8911.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	427303

Name:	IMG_8913.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	427304

Name:	IMG_8914.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	427305

Name:	IMG_8915.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	427307

Name:	IMG_8916.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	427308

Those look sweet.

https://www.snowcountry.eu/23-volkl-...4aAiNWEALw_wcB

im even tempted at that price. $513 for this years. And that topsheet is way better. BM, buy those so I can buy them from you.

Dang, dude. Why'd you have to find those? May not be able to resist at that price and the ability to test mount points. This one is still the best topsheet though this year's is a significant improvement from the yellow ones. Very curious how these would compare to a Kartel 118 or MFree 118.

While I love my older Billy Goat 191s for mobbing PNW powder, but I always have fond memories of how fun my '12 Bent Chetlers were. Those skis were a blast but were missing the backbone needed for the PNW. These sound like they could be the needed upgrade.

wow that is a smoking deal, more so when you could probably get $60 for the clamps...

My top sheets on that graphic/year ski has not held up with. Tends to splinter quite a bit, rather than chip like most. Figured I'd offer my two center before someone gets fully in-bed with these.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Dang, dude. Why'd you have to find those? May not be able to resist at that price and the ability to test mount points. This one is still the best topsheet though this year's is a significant improvement from the yellow ones. Very curious how these would compare to a Kartel 118 or MFree 118.

While I love my older Billy Goat 191s for mobbing PNW powder, but I always have fond memories of how fun my '12 Bent Chetlers were. Those skis were a blast but were missing the backbone needed for the PNW. These sound like they could be the needed upgrade.
    You should by these and let me try them at Alpy.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    You should by these and let me try them at Alpy.
    ... What's your BSL... more than welcome to borrow mine for a day
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

So has anyone come to a conclusion concerning a rocker 2 122 (2013-2017) comparison?
    I have seen the light concerning central Stance and the mixture of playful yet stable and was wondering if this could be the next ski I could be hoarding. Although the 191 is hard to get and vökl is not a Partner of my gear access point.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I’ve had a hard time liking the 121 in a 191 mounted at -1. Tip dive for me. Which is an unpardonable sin for a ski this wide. Gonna remount with pivots slightly rearward for a flatter ramp and another shot.

Call me crazy, I actually dig the yellow fox topsheet.

But for deep days, billy goat, C&D and sgn urrakkar were all way more fun last season.

Still interested in a revolt 104. Honestly think I would mount that on the line and use it for park and firm days.

Just had way too much fun on moment frankenskis last year.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    But for deep days, billy goat, C&D and sgn urrakkar were all way more fun last season.
    hm, interesting. I must admit to be particularly interested in how they compare to the urRakkars

Weird that the tips won't plane given the flex pattern/rocker lines, but then again -3.8 isn't exactly traditionally mounted. The other two skis are -6 and -9 or so no?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    hm, interesting. I must admit to be particularly interested in how they compare to the urRakkars

Weird that the tips won't plane given the flex pattern/rocker lines, but then again -3.8 isn't exactly traditionally mounted. The other two skis are -6 and -9 or so no?
    Yes. And I don’t eff with the mount on an RES ski.

The rocker lines are fairly steep and abrupt. I’m becoming a fan of longer more subtle rocker for deep snow.

Urrakkar are recommended -7. I’ve found -5.5 to be perfect. I was hoping the volkl would be the similar feeling but more versatile version of that ski.

For me, nothing compares to that in deep snow. C and D has its moments, but I’m most comfortable and brazen on the urrakkar.

Yes. And I don’t eff with the mount on an RES ski.

The rocker lines are fairly steep and abrupt. I’m becoming a fan of longer more subtle rocker for deep snow.

Urrakkar are recommended -7. I’ve found -5.5 to be perfect. I was hoping the volkl would be the similar feeling but more versatile version of that ski.

For me, nothing compares to that in deep snow. C and D has its moments, but I’m most comfortable and brazen on the urrakkar.
    hm, thanks for the info - perhaps I should try some urRakkers then. I sold my pair before trying them, but most people seem to get on well with them.

The 185s are soft though - especially in the shovels (something I am not a big fan of usually), so I can't really see them replacing BGs for coastal snow / variable. I did buy a pair of lotus124s (catch, try, release was the plan there) that are fairly damn soft in the shovels as well, though their tails are a fairly supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    So has anyone come to a conclusion concerning a rocker 2 122 (2013-2017) comparison?
    Sure, I'll chime in on that.
    I've gotta pair of the Rocker 2 122 184 for my early season rock pow skis that I picked up to replace my thrashed and worn out 2013 183 Chetlers.

I got a pair of the 1st year Revolt 121 184 to use as my main pow skis. I'm not sure exactly where I mounted but it's more back and traditional than a new school center mount.
    Had a great time on 'em up in BC & Colorado in Jan 2020 but don't think I used 'em once in the crappy 20-21 Tahoe winter.
    Last year in the big Christmas storm cycle, for me they ski'd great in the untracked but found I didn't really like 'em once it was tracked. I started grabbing the Rocker 2s, found them to be easier, more versatile and preferred them to the Revolts. I'm not a big guy and will be 60 next year so some of this might be my lazy old man preferences.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I’ve had a hard time liking the 121 in a 191 mounted at -1. Tip dive for me. Which is an unpardonable sin for a ski this wide. Gonna remount with pivots slightly rearward for a flatter ramp and another shot.

Call me crazy, I actually dig the yellow fox topsheet.

Still interested in a revolt 104. Honestly think I would mount that on the line and use it for park and firm days.

Just had way too much fun on moment frankenskis last year.
    Well, there goes my desire for a 191 Revolt 121. Appreciate the inputs, SC. Hope to see you out on the hill this season.

To me, the only explanation for a ski that wide and with that much rocker having tip dive, is progressive mount point.

Or not enough speed maybe.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

If you're that far forward on a mount i think anything resembling forward pressure is going to cause dive. The revolts sound like they need a neutral stance, you just have so much tail staying afloat, basically anti-pintail.

I’ve skied with SupreChicken. We ski the same home mountain. He’s pretty skilled and skis faster than I do. But our mountain has a lot of tight quarters so maybe there isn’t room to get them up to “planing speed”? 🤷

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Reading this with interest.

I skied the Faction Candide 5.0 at -4.7cm. No tip dive.

Have mounted my 2022 Bentchetler 120s at -2cm, or -4.9cm as I will mostly use those in untracked backcountry pow.

Most of my other wide skis are at -6cm (Renegades, Nomad 115s, Hojis)….

Leaning to -1cm to - 2cm on my Revolt 121s. They have more rocker than BentChetler 120s?

Anyone else wanna chime in. Mounting soon.

Name:	IMG_6612.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	428340

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I’ve skied with SupreChicken. We ski the same home mountain. He’s pretty skilled and skis faster than I do. But our mountain has a lot of tight quarters so maybe there isn’t room to get them up to “planing speed”?
    Yeah I really didn't doubt his speed... I think central mounts are more the problem.

I really like my rocker2s but sometimes get tip dive in certain snow despite all the rocker and width.

I honestly felt like I had less tip dive on mildly rockered and stiffer K108 last year when I got them in powder. -10cm vs -5cm.

KC might be appalled to hear that I'm going to remount the Pro-tos I bought from him on the line.... -9cm.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Yeah I really didn't doubt his speed... I think central mounts are more the problem.

I really like my rocker2s but sometimes get tip dive in certain snow despite all the rocker and width.

I honestly felt like I had less tip dive on mildly rockered and stiffer K108 last year when I got them in powder. -10cm vs -5cm.

KC might be appalled to hear that I'm going to remount the Pro-tos I bought from him on the line.... -9cm.

Maybe a bit of column a and b here. Central mount for sure. I feel like I’m really backseat before they plane. Speed/steep slope was pretty fun, but that was just all slash and turn. Pointing them was difficult. And demanded less speed because I couldn’t ride in the front seat.

I dig the bent chetler in soft snow. But it’s definitely better when the snow is dry and light. I’m at -4.4cm from the line and would move them back if I had another shot at it. Heavy snow needs heavier skis. For PNW I thought the revolt 121 would be the sweet spot for mass in a jibby ski and the mount with my skiing style just wasn’t quite right at -1 on wardens.

So…if the ramp is totally flat (pivots) and I’m back another cm…they’ll be awesome…right??

Maybe a bit of column a and b here. Central mount for sure. I feel like I’m really backseat before they plane. Speed/steep slope was pretty fun, but that was just all slash and turn. Pointing them was difficult. And demanded less speed because I couldn’t ride in the front seat.

I dig the bent chetler in soft snow. But it’s definitely better when the snow is dry and light. I’m at -4.4cm from the line and would move them back if I had another shot at it. Heavy snow needs heavier skis. For PNW I thought the revolt 121 would be the sweet spot for mass in a jibby ski and the mount with my skiing style just wasn’t quite right at -1 on wardens.

So…if the ramp is totally flat (pivots) and I’m back another cm…they’ll be awesome…right??

i wonder if your tip dive is caused by being to flat on the ski and using upper body mass to start your turn. I had tip dive issues because I couldn’t get forward on a flat delta angle binding to initiate a turn, so I would make up by getting more forward with my body position, which in turn would take the ski out of balance and submarine the tips.

i did grow up racing on pivots, all the way through the academy. I have more control, better feel, better turn initiation, and a damper ride on markers. They work for me physiologically better due to the delta and with the ramp of a lange it’s perfect for me. I am 100% balanced standing in bindings on skis with knees flexed.

Wow. That was an eye-opening read.

I’ve always been an STH/driver guy with Lange. Only kinda hate marker bulk/mass. Just bought my first pivots. (I’m 46.)

And now am incredibly curious.

It’s amazing that we can spend our lives in a routine only to potentially be up-ended with another perspective.