Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    IMO the Black Op is basically better in every way. Better edge hold, better though crud, more intuitive skiing trees, actually feels longer and more stable though chop. The 104 isnt a bad ski but it just doesnt have the wow factor of the Black ops.
    damn you Bushwacka. Your post made my pick up a pair of (heavily discounted) 182s. To be mounted at -2 from rec, and to be a-b'ed with M-Free 99s. Should be interesting.

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Shit. Gotta research Rossi BO now. Was on my radar.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-27-2022 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    damn you Bushwacka. Your post made my pick up a pair of (heavily discounted) 182s. To be mounted at -2 from rec, and to be a-b'ed with M-Free 99s. Should be interesting.
    The black ops?

The black ops?
    yes. BO Holyshred 98 (got em today, mainly due to your post) vs M-Free 99 (bought two weeks ago, not wholly sold on them) - both 182.

I demoed the revolt 104 for a few runs a couple years ago. It was good conditions but they were a blast in the steep chalk and for buttering and spinning off cat tracks. I skied them at recommended and liked them there (I’m used to mount points around -4 to -6) I can see them skiing well 2-3 cm back from recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I just skied these back to back with a 182cm Rossingnol Black Ops 98 versus the 188cm 104.

IMO the Black Op is basically better in every way. Better edge hold, better though crud, more intuitive skiing trees, actually feels longer and more stable though chop. The 104 isnt a bad ski but it just doesnt have the wow factor of the Black ops. One thing to note is Preferred the Mount point on the 104s -2 from the line, on the line they felt so freaking weird.

Echoing this for the 121 vs. the BO118 - only thing that the 121 is better at is slashing. Was skiing on them back to back last weekend, and was thinking I was hauling ass on the 121, swapped over the the 118, and it was like I could turn it up to 11 (which is 1 louder...)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet on this thread, but the the ones I have (19-20 season), the topsheets chip and splinter really really easily compared to just about every other ski I've been on.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Echoing this for the 121 vs. the BO118 - only thing that the 121 is better at is slashing. Was skiing on them back to back last weekend, and was thinking I was hauling ass on the 121, swapped over the the 118, and it was like I could turn it up to 11 (which is 1 louder...)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet on this thread, but the the ones I have (19-20 season), the topsheets chip and splinter really really easily compared to just about every other ski I've been on.
    yeah I skied the BLOPS 118 as well at the Ski essential test and it was not the ski for the day, and I was near center mount(unlike the BLOPS 98 I skied) and still feel more like a big mountain comp ski and less like 118mm wide twin tip....

To be fair the 118 slashed some slush pretty well

yeah I skied the BLOPS 118 as well at the Ski essential test and it was not the ski for the day, and I was near center mount(unlike the BLOPS 98 I skied) and still feel more like a big mountain comp ski and less like 118mm wide twin tip....

To be fair the 118 slashed some slush pretty well
    Both the 121 and BO118 have mount points around -2.5cm from TC.

I will say that the 121 is remarkably versatile for its shape: most likely due to the amount of camber underfoot and the stiffness of tip and tails compared to other heavily tapered skis.

www.experiencedgear.net

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Will be posting in this thread this coming winter.

In May I bought the 184cm Volkl Revolt 121. Still unmounted. Going with Forza P15s for an inbounds pow ski.

Today I picked up a pair of 180cm Volkl Revolt 104s….just could not resist that long tip/tail rise. Almost reminds me of a Rossi Sickle with a bit of camber. And $460CDN is a decent price.

Mounting thoughts at this point:

Revolt 121s at -1 cm (-3.75cm).

Revolt 104s at -2cm (also -3.75cm).

Come on winter!

Last edited by kc_7777; 09-21-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the Revolt 121. Should be an amazing BC powder ski.

Also, I think your account was hacked. You mentioned mounting BEHIND the recommended line. Can’t be the real KC.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Really looking forward to your thoughts on the Revolt 121. Should be an amazing BC powder ski.

Also, I think your account was hacked. You mentioned mounting BEHIND the recommended line. Can’t be the real KC.
    Crazy times!

When rec is -1.75cm (on the 104 Revolt) and -2.75cm (on the 121 Revolt) even I’m going back! I like a freestyle feel but don’t ski backwards or land switch.

After many years of doing this ski buying stuff I know I like skis around -4cm for general rippin’ around.

In this years quiver I will have four skis at ~4cm}:

180cm Season Aero (-3.75cm)
    180cm Volkl Revolt 104 (-3.75cm)
    183cm Season Nexus (-3.75cm)
    184cm Volkl Revolt 121 (-3.75cm)

I also like tip/tail rocker. Lots. I’ve been fondling the Revolt 121 over the summer months…they have so much tip and tail rocker! Probably it’s the ski that I’m most looking forward to this coming year. Will be perfect inbounds at Whitewater and Red on deep days.

FYI. Here’s a comparison of the rocker with some BC 120’s (note: Chet’s are mounted -2cm at -4.9cm for sidecountry pow with Shifts).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6612.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	427099

Name:	IMG_6613.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	427100

Last edited by kc_7777; 10-03-2022 at 12:24 AM.

That is an amazing amount of tip splay…

Alright, a couple of questions for you all as these have been on my radar for a couple years:

1. Relative to the Jeff/Kartel 108, can the revolt 104 be pushed harder through the tips or does it require a similarly centered stance?

2. Can anyone draw comparisons between the revolt 121 and the 2012/2013 Salomon rocker2, praxis FRS, and/or moment wildcat?

That rocker profile and what I know about 3D sidecut is enticing. At 200-lbs, does that force me to the 191 or could 184 be enough?

With such absurd rocker and the heavy taper i'd imagine 191 would have comparable effective edge to your other quiver-stock, and the 184 would feel like it skis short?

Quote Originally Posted by whereiscarlos View Post
    Alright, a couple of questions for you all as these have been on my radar for a couple years:

2. Can anyone draw comparisons between the revolt 121 and the 2012/2013 Salomon rocker2, praxis FRS, and/or moment wildcat?
    Not the standard wildcat, but the tour

the 121 in the 185cm is a much stiffer, and center mounted ski than the Bibby Tour/Wildcat Tour in the 184cm.

I would also argue it tracks a bit better in mixed, but its also a much heavier layup

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    With such absurd rocker and the heavy taper i'd imagine 191 would have comparable effective edge to your other quiver-stock, and the 184 would feel like it skis short?
    That's aligned with my thinking. I loved the Volkl Two/Revolt 124 in the 196-cm length but it was a pure pow tool and fell apart when the snow got heavy. The Revolt 121 seems like an evolution of that ski with a better inbounds demeanor. I don't need more skis over 120-mm, but I love the idea of how these could perform at a place like Whistler-Blackcomb.

Volkl Revolt 104/121

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    That's aligned with my thinking. I loved the Volkl Two/Revolt 124 in the 196-cm length but it was a pure pow tool and fell apart when the snow got heavy. The Revolt 121 seems like an evolution of that ski with a better inbounds demeanor. I don't need more skis over 120-mm, but I love the idea of how these could perform at a place like Whistler-Blackcomb.
    Bandit - I have the 184cm Revolt 121, and you always seem to ski longer lengths than me. Go with the 191cm. The centerish mount on the Revolt, and the massive tip/tail rocker + taper means these will ski short. And yes will be awesome inbounds at WB or Whitewater.

As for too many wide skis….I have Renegades, Bentchetler 120s and Nomad 115s….but am most excited to ski the Revolts. Likely selling the Nomad 115s.

Shameless gear pic…..unmounted, just to to show the Forza 2.0 Pivot 15 colors on the Revolt 121s

Name:	IMG_6509.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	427190

Last edited by kc_7777; 09-22-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Name:	Image1663882604.285393.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	427205

121s with Forza 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post

Name:	Image1663882604.285393.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	427205

121s with Forza 1.0

Nice! Where’d ya mount? On the line (-2.75cm)?

I snagged them second hand from someone who had mounted them with pivots on the “team” line which is extremely forward of what I was used to. Hasn’t bothered me one bit. Also, these are the 184cm. I wouldn’t be afraid of stepping up to the 191cm at all.

Lots of deals on last season’s 184’s. 191’s on the other hand, are just hard to find, let alone for a nice price.

This deal isn’t horrible plus the pivots are purdy:

Volkl Revot 121 with Look Pivot 18s https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/69030851

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Not the standard wildcat, but the tour

the 121 in the 185cm is a much stiffer, and center mounted ski than the Bibby Tour/Wildcat Tour in the 184cm.

I would also argue it tracks a bit better in mixed, but its also a much heavier layup
    I’m on a wildcat tour as well, so this is super helpful. Did you find the 121’s mount point pretty intuitive coming off the wildcat or was it a big adjustment? I assume you mounted both on the recommended line?

Quote Originally Posted by whereiscarlos View Post
    I’m on a wildcat tour as well, so this is super helpful. Did you find the 121’s mount point pretty intuitive coming off the wildcat or was it a big adjustment? I assume you mounted both on the recommended line?

the 121 is more surfy than the Bibby/Wildcat, and did take a tad more time to get used to. If you look at how Marcus skis on the 121...its kind-of how you need to ski it: drive hard, break the tails free to shut down speed, with very stiff tails for supportive landings. I only have a handful of days on each and it wasn't directly back to back. I will say that I am far more comfortable on a slightly softer skis like the reckoner 122, BO118/Gamer, and 2nd gen Atomic BC - I felt that as a non-pro skier, I was able to get into the flex pattern of those skis easier.

www.experiencedgear.net