Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Touring Ski that Skis like the BC Atris?

So I love my Atris in 184 for pretty much all skiing. I like how it is fairly stable at speed in soft snow, and can handle a whole range of turn types. I am considering getting a second pair as a dedicated touring ski. I'm curious if anyone has spent time on the Atris and can recommend a ski that skis similarly, but is lighter (at 2000g per ski the Atris is on the limit of what I consider acceptable weight)? It seems like 1500 - 1800g is a reasonable goal for touring skis in this category. Skis will be driven by Blizzard Zero G TPs and either MTNs or Alpinist 12 bindings.

I recently picked up some Corvus Freebirds in 183, and those skis ain't it. Fun to charge on in open terrain, but lack the pivot and maneuverability I enjoy about the Atris. They are especially a handful in tight terrain with heavy snow or crusts (I live in Oregon so heavy snow and crusts are the norm).

I have powder touring skis (Anima FB) and hard snow/ski mountaineering skis (Camox FB) so really looking to fill the slot in the Mid 100s that can be my daily driver touring ski. I like the Anima FB and Camox FB a lot, though they're very different skis. I think what I like about the Atris is that it blends the styles of those two skis nicely.

A few skis on my list as alternatives to the Atris for a dedicated touring ski.

- Blizzard 0g 105
    - Black Crows Navis Freebird
    - Atomic Backland 107 (Blister review makes me think I wouldn't like this ski, but curious to get additional input)
    - K2 Wayback 106

Thanks for your input!

Not familiar with the Navis, but the other 3 skis you mentioned all have pretty traditional mount points. I don’t think they would feel very similar to the Atris.

You should check out the Line Vision 108. Or just put touring bindings on the Atris and do some squats.

The Zero G 105 is a great ski but NOT what you are looking for.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

I like the Atris too - such an intuitive and fun ski. But I also love my ZG108 and the ZG105...and yeah, they are pretty different skis.

I demoed the Ferox - it's more what you're after i think. Friend got to demo all the crows range before the Rona hit and said Ferox is pretty much the closest thing to an Atris lightened a bit for touring

The Ferox is as close as you'll get to a "touring" Atris. But it's 1800g at 181, so only marginally lighter than your Animas and not drastic compared to your Atris. Plenty of people tour on the Atris; seems like you're a good candidate, as you have two other touring options in a under 20mm range.

But, fwiw: 2nd on the Vision 108, a bit lighter. Also Moment Wildcat Tour 108, similar but a bit heavier.

My main ski buddy is on his 3rd pair of Atris' - he tours on Voile V6s and loves them. Voile Mantis and v6/Hyperv6 have similar profiles to the Atris and the others above, but at lighter weights. Three other friends ski Atris inbounds and Navis FB for touring. Different skis for sure (Navis FB skis like a narrower Corvus - directional, great edge, likes speed), but very capable. I would say most people's gripes about the Navis FB also relate to tight-space maneuverability, quickness in trees, etc.

I own both the Navis FB and the atris. Like the atris, never got along with the navis. Tour with both. The atris is my heavier touring ski now. They're heavy but doable.

You're not looking for the navis FB. I ended up on a line vision 98 for my lighter ski. It does seem that a looser, progressive mounted 105 underfoot ski in your desired weight range isn't super.common. maybe , as above , the vision 108?

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    I like the Atris too - such an intuitive and fun ski. But I also love my ZG108 and the ZG105...and yeah, they are pretty different skis.

I demoed the Ferox - it's more what you're after i think. Friend got to demo all the crows range before the Rona hit and said Ferox is pretty much the closest thing to an Atris lightened a bit for touring
    Adding the Ferox but damn...$1K for a ski!?That might be more than I spent on the rest of my quiver combined! Might consider if they go on sale.

What are some of the similarities between the zG105 and the Atris in your opinion?

Thanks!

Wildcat tour 108 in 184 should be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I own both the Navis FB and the atris. Like the atris, never got along with the navis. Tour with both. The atris is my heavier touring ski now. They're heavy but doable.

You're not looking for the navis FB. I ended up on a line vision 98 for my lighter ski. It does seem that a looser, progressive mounted 105 underfoot ski in your desired weight range isn't super.common. maybe , as above , the vision 108?
    This is great advice. On the Navis FB, what didn’t you like about it?

I would look at voile.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    This was my first thought too.

Second this, I had the Atris and enjoyed it but the Wildcat 108 does pretty much everything better and now I own the WCT 108 as a result.

Thanks everyone! Wildcat tour 108 is floating to the the top of the list. Weight looks good. Glad to hear of folks who went from atris to wildcat and like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Wildcat tour 108 is floating to the the top of the list. Weight looks good. Glad to hear of folks who went from atris to wildcat and like it better.
    TahoeJ also made the switch I believe (I bought his Atris). Could reach out to him.

Probably a bit more ski than the Atris, but a Woodsman 108 - tour core, tour everything, and softer flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    This is great advice. On the Navis FB, what didn’t you like about it?
    Part of this is me "doing it wrong" by living in a place where it's often dark with poor snow conditions.

The navis is great in softer snow, with a bit of speed, and when you can get over the ski and put some authority / energy into the turns. It requires attention, but will then reward you.

Unfortunately, i didn't enjoy the ski in hard snow conditions or at slower speeds when you kinda want to just slowly butter turns. It just took too much work for me to come alive and i found it unpredictable in shitty snow

For whatever reason, even with the increased width, I've had an easier time skiing the atris in 189 on crappy, slightly breakable crust / hard snow.

Again, i might have had a totally different opinion on the navis if i more regularly skied soft snow.

Touring Ski that Skis like the BC Atris?

I’ll sell you a ferox in a 181 with one mount on it for kingpins at 313. Skis are mint. No scratches. Seen 4 tours, 3 resort and I backcountry.

Skis just like an atris.... probably why I sold my atris and want to sell these. Not my style. Too light and surfy.

500 shipped.
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 01-30-2021 at 07:04 AM.

PM sent to Joey on that Ferox offer. Thanks for all the great advice. Ferox seems like a close cousin to the Atris. For posterity I’ll post a comparison once I get a chance to ski both.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I would look at voile.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Second this. My daily driver is a 189 Atris and I tour on the 186 Voile Manti. Paired with Backland bindings, it's a fairly light combo. They ski quite similarly, but the Manti wants to makes tighter turns (which I appreciate while touring anyways). It's also worth noting the Manti has a pretty progressive suggested mount at about -6cm from center, which is where I mount my Atris as well.

Own Anima FB, BG108T, Navis FB

Sold Corvus FB, Atris, Bibby

I am essentially still looking for the same ski. Like others have said, Navis FB is just a narrower Corvus and suffers from the same drawbacks of being a little too locked in / not playful enough at lower speeds. The QST106 could be this ski, if it was a lot lighter. For me, the Atris is just too heavy to make it a serious touring option. I would just grab the lighter Animas instead. Ferox could be an option at a much lower price, but is still on the upper end at 110mm width.

I never really clicked with the Bibby's and since then have been somewhat skeptical I would with any Moment skis.

I need more time on my BG108T's. They are light and tour beautifully, but I think their firm snow performance is just a little too lacking for me.

Skis that look interesting but have not skied: Woodsman 108T, K2 Wayback 106, a custom Praxis FRD UL with tip and tail rocker, custom Praxis MVP 109 UL... (could Voile possibly make uglier looking skis?)

Interested to hear feedback on the Ferox, or any of the other skis mentioned in this thread as there isn't a ton of info or feedback out there....but I definitely feel like there is currently a void / need for this ski.

^ill second that, with the caveat of it also having a progressive mount. I bet it's a jeffrey tour.

^ third that. I feel like the Wildcat 108 Tour may come the closest to it. I've really enjoyed my Wildcat 108s so far. Maybe the new Beast 108 with camber hits this spot nicely?

What about the Backland 107? G3 must make some skis in this domain too, but mostly I've only seen people post broken pics of G3 skis.

Ferox is terrible at low speed. Locked in and raily. Corvus I find is fun at low speed. That’s just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Ferox is terrible at low speed. Locked in and raily. Corvus I find is fun at low speed. That’s just me though.
    This seems totally counter-intuitive:

Corvus: very little tail rocker, much stiffer (supposedly)
    Ferox: twin tip, softer

Maybe a tune issue?

This is what I was going to suggest.

I've also toured on the Anima Freebirds for the last 4 seasons and love them. I used to own the Atris and liked them but I simply liked the Wildcat 108's more, which is what led me to get the Wildcat 108 tours.

I had the BC Navis freebirds a few years back and did not click with them. The tails were too locked in for a touring ski, at least for me.