Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2021 NE - Flatten That Berm

Well here we are. We, the NE thread family, seem to have made it through the Covid mess pretty well so far, I hope part of it is that we breathe just a bit better than those others. You can all say whatever but I'm (mostly) thankful for all of you Lets hold it together and this fall get together somewhere for a day or two, somewhere off the regular circuit and do some riding.

Thanks fam

For future planning reference, what is the ride season in a typical snow year? Specifically, what month would lower elevation rides typically start to open up without excessive mud. Same question for any higher elevation rides. Does the NE even have high elevation rides? Haven't done much (any) research yet but may have the chance for a cross country road trip. Would look to hit must do/popular rides but also like gnarly backcountry adventures with good views and/or big descents.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    For future planning reference, what is the ride season in a typical snow year? Specifically, what month would lower elevation rides typically start to open up without excessive mud. Same question for any higher elevation rides. Does the NE even have high elevation rides? Haven't done much (any) research yet but may have the chance for a cross country road trip. Would look to hit must do/popular rides but also like gnarly backcountry adventures with good views and/or big descents.
    Around here, trails can be ready as soon as mid April or as late as mid May. Most years, you'll have some solid riding options by May 1st. Trails that are higher up usually dry out a week or 2 behind the trails down low. Come fall, riding season becomes more limited in November during hunting season but there are usually options to ride right up until the first big snowfall - that can come anytime in November or December.

There's tons of amazing riding options throughout northern New England. You could be busy for weeks between VT, NH and Maine. I've got a few long mtb routes around here I'm happy to share come riding season.

Bring on 2021, the end of COVID and the return of group rides and non-socially distant parking lot beers.

Umm, lame title.
    The Wheel is Turning would have worked.
    Come on man
    crab in my shoe mouth

We just got snow...again...but have been on firm dirt until two days ago. I'm on the coast so no vert, but a lot of dickpunch tech. We can often get rain instead of snow. Last year we went snow-dirt-snow about 3 or 4 times. That was odd. We're in a pattern of snow now, so once it's here I don't foresee this going away until April-ish, unless we end up with more f'd up 50-60 degree days like last winter.

I thought it was a thread about Nebraska?
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

^You obviously haven't been paying attention to our Northeast/New England thread here for the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Umm, lame title.
    The Wheel is Turning would have worked.
    Come on man
    Totally lame, I know I'm blaming it on the Common roots Brewing Company American Porter. That's my story.

If you're here earlier you can hit a bunch of stuff along the coast. There are some good long ride options, there are plenty of off the radar spots too. There are a few backcountry options that melt off/dry off early but there might still be winter damage making them somewhat less fun. All in all if I could I would probably shoot for June, kids are still in school (will that even matter this year?) so popular places are still sort of quiet, things tend to be pretty dry by then unless it's been a really great snow year, it's usually not too hot and tropical storm season hasn't wound up yet so that threat should be off the table.

Where is the best slab and slickrock riding in the NE? I've always enjoyed it, lived in Moab for a while so I could ride it every day, and then this popped and it inspired me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ym2...ature=emb_logo Slickrock road trip this year methinks

Rattlesnake in Rumney NH has really good slabs with a view
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    I thought it was a thread about Nebraska?

COWBOSS!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^You obviously haven't been paying attention to our Northeast/New England thread here for the last 10 years.

Totally lame, I know I'm blaming it on the Common roots Brewing Company American Porter. That's my story.
    Try harder and change this crap title.

Where is the best slab and slickrock riding in the NE? I've always enjoyed it, lived in Moab for a while so I could ride it every day, and then this popped and it inspired me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ym2...ature=emb_logo Slickrock road trip this year methinks
    Probably North Conway NH. Whitehorse and Cathedral ledges on the west side of town have had plenty of web hype recently.

Just the right amount of thumb press tire pressure.

I was a bit gripped on this descent. It's a sketchy dbl fall line. Entrance is far lookers left. When dry the line is more lookers left compared to my line today, but even dry it keeps me on my toes.

I'm dying to ride Slab City trail up in Quebec. I hope the border will open for summer but I'm not holding my breath.

Millstone trails have some grippy slab riding too.

Would love to get up to those Borderlands areas this summer if things get back to some sort of normal.
    Early storm riding yesterday was great. New snow on top of the little base we have, not bad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	360903

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	360904

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Grooming with the Hok skis. Slow going with a lot of low hanging tree branches blocking trail. We lost trail at least a half dozen times tonight and we're the builders!
    Had 4 tonight and hopefully 6-8 skier/splitboards tomorrow.

It's Offishal, DH is back at Sugarloaf!

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-eve...hfCq2YY45nSwIY

I know everyone in Vermont is skiing but Perry Hill now has legit fat biking as of this weekend.

https://fpr.vermont.gov/news/perry-h...creation-pilot

Pretty stoked to have some more groomed tech and flow trails.

A few from Maine over the past week.

First is in Bethel at the inland trails behind the inn.

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	362976

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	362977

The next few are from today in CV. I haven’t ridden there in the winter and I have to say, it’s super fun. The Mrs. got her first “fat bike” experience and dug it. Super beginner friendly and the snow was grippy and fast. We spent a majority of our time along the Narrow Gauge. I’ll definitely be back.

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	362978

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	362979

We may have a "ride anywhere" snowpack. I've only experienced that a couple of times over the years, but it sure is fun when you don't need a trail and the only thing in the way is tree branches.

Down here in PA we usually have ripping frozen singletrack or slop this time of year, but first for me is pretty good XC skiing my mtb trails after a failed ride attempt in 6” of wet snow en route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posthole hell! Amazing how many people go for walks in the slush snow sinking 6-8"! Then it freezes for a torturous ride from hell. We need signs to educate the masses on trail etiquette.

Once thru the hell sections deeper into the woods, the single track was firm and fast. The 'ride anywhere' layer did not form, but I'll take the fast stuff. I packed out some berms before the melt/refreeze and those were money!

Last week’s crust packed down nicely and an inch of snow overnight made for some fast and fluffy riding.

Name:	Image1613862857.636610.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	363979

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2021 NE - I couldn't think of anything witty for the title

Awful news out of Willowdale in Massachusetts. RIP.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mas...outputType=amp