Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    How was Pearl Hill riding? May head there this weekend.
    Good! It was my first time there, but my sense is the stuff on the east side of new Fitchburg rd needed to be ridden more, but all the stuff like rock n roll, friends, rattlesnake all were good, and there was no one out there.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    So short sighted and they must be missing a 0 in that 32,000 right? I'd be furious and out for blood at town council meetings after that if that happened at my little town park or local state park.

Have heard great things about Millstone trails from all the way down here in PA. Now I'm potentially going to skip out on riding there if trails are ruined and all my associated recreation dollars (not trails specifically) but restaurants, brewery, lodging, etc all going to go with it to towns that get it. KTA, Waterbury, Stowe, Randolph etc
    biggins and I rode Millstone last week. It's not 'ruined'. We kept to the Barre Town Forest trails and did run into a logging re-route (on Locomotion? maybe biggins will remember) that wasn't terrible. I believe the trails over on Millstone Hill are closed due to logging, which is really what that trail system is known for. Without those trails it's less of a 'destination' since the quarry riding is what folks think of when the envision Millstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    biggins and I rode Millstone last week. It's not 'ruined'. We kept to the Barre Town Forest trails and did run into a logging re-route (on Locomotion? maybe biggins will remember) that wasn't terrible. I believe the trails over on Millstone Hill are closed due to logging, which is really what that trail system is known for. Without those trails it's less of a 'destination' since the quarry riding is what folks think of when the envision Millstone.
    The rerouting you guys rode was all thanks to the MTA volunteers - those trails were buried in debris up until or so.

Yes, the most famous Millstone trails are still closed for logging and those will take a lot of effort to bring back. MTA has started clearing Angry Gnome and a few others but it will be a long process.

What's done is done but the petition is to prevent any future logging endeavors completely or at least keep the trails in tact during the logging process. There's been a lot of public outcry here in town so hopefully the town's board will get the message.

Green Woodlands is open. Dry as heck though- don't go roostin' (to try to please me...)

GW is a gift. Literally, we riders owe that family a lot for their generosity. Super fun day.

Edit: Peruvian, please don't ask me to remember trail names. I've been skiing Killington since I was 12 and I can't remember any name anywhere.

Millstone is a really, really special place. Big ups to MTA.

GW is awesome, place has me wanting a single speed again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Free to good home 2 OG 1 up USA racks. Fits square or round bars only.
    Good for kid or road bikes but long wheelbase 29er no bueno.
    Located on Cape Cod. Cleaning out shed.
    These hold bikes ok, but not like the new ones.
    Sorry no delivery and I wont be up north soon. I could maybe do Boston Ina few weeks. Pm for details
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    GW is awesome, place has me wanting a single speed again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    not actually that fun on a SS, because its not quite steep enough to be gravity fed IMO.

As a single speeder tight twisty up and down , or moderates up to steep gravity fed downs are the best. Machine built flow trail can feel REALLY rough and sometime meh if there is not enough pitch as you are just spun out.

2021 NE - Flatten That Berm

Place doesn’t do it for me, it’s good for one day a year. I’ll take Ascutney any day.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    not actually that fun on a SS, because its not quite steep enough to be gravity fed IMO.

As a single speeder tight twisty up and down , or moderates up to steep gravity fed downs are the best. Machine built flow trail can feel REALLY rough and sometime meh if there is not enough pitch as you are just spun out.
    Guess I haven’t ridden one in awhile, last time I had one was way before machine built trails were a thing around here.

Carry on

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Place doesn’t do it for me, it’s good for one day a year. I’ll take Ascutney any day.
    You been to SVT yet? Place is the cat's pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    You been to SVT yet? Place is the cat's pajamas.
    SVT? Is that in Woodstock?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    SVT? Is that in Woodstock?
    Slate Valley Trails, Poultney. Bees. Knees.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Green Woodlands is open. Dry as heck though- don't go roostin' (to try to please me...)

GW is a gift. Literally, we riders owe that family a lot for their generosity. Super fun day.

Edit: Peruvian, please don't ask me to remember trail names. I've been skiing Killington since I was 12 and I can't remember any name anywhere.

Millstone is a really, really special place. Big ups to MTA.
    Saw that. My main riding buddy incurred a hemotoma (sp) at Landocked on a pyt ride so I'm local. I embrace the climb, so GW works for me.

Anyone else doing VT 50?
    I rode it for many years, then did singlespeed a few times (actually faster), then took a break for a year. Then I volunteered and that was really fun. Overall I was kind of done with the bike, though. It got very expensive (for a good cause) and filled up so fast. I often didn't have the time to sit there and click. Then I got priority so did it some more.
    2 years ago I ran the 50k which was an actual challenge, unlike biking 50 miles in a day, and was set to do that again.
    But this year I am super excited because I am riding it with my 16 year old son! I hope he finishes with a smile. I think he can do it but will be in for a world of hurt.
    I want to get a super cringe embarrassing jersey to wear with him. Like "world's greatest farter". Suggestions?

If you didn't get in, I really suggest volunteering. You get to ride lots of the course, don't have to wake up super early, get an awesome t shirt and BBQ. And feels great.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Anyone else doing VT 50?
    I rode it for many years, then did singlespeed a few times (actually faster), then took a break for a year. Then I volunteered and that was really fun. Overall I was kind of done with the bike, though. It got very expensive (for a good cause) and filled up so fast. I often didn't have the time to sit there and click. Then I got priority so did it some more.
    2 years ago I ran the 50k which was an actual challenge, unlike biking 50 miles in a day, and was set to do that again.
    But this year I am super excited because I am riding it with my 16 year old son! I hope he finishes with a smile. I think he can do it but will be in for a world of hurt.
    I want to get a super cringe embarrassing jersey to wear with him. Like "world's greatest farter". Suggestions?

If you didn't get in, I really suggest volunteering. You get to ride lots of the course, don't have to wake up super early, get an awesome t shirt and BBQ. And feels great.
    Not riding, but hoping to be at the Garvin Hill sag stop (trying to sweet talk my way to volunteering there- far and away the choicest gig at the race). Should be a real party this year after last year's cancellation. I love the phenomenon that is the VT50, good people running that race, great hosts, and a sick course. Enjoy with your son- that's awesome!

I am in for the 50. Early reg for veterans is awesome, but not as awesome as riding with your son. I hope you find “the world’s greatest farter jersey”, that should make it even more memorable for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Laps; 05-28-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

KT today- figured I'd roll the dice on a holiday Saturday, the border still being closed and all. Main lot was packed, Tiki bar was a scene, but a pedal out to East Haven and back saw very few of the usual crowd trains. Rain at home, sunshine up there, it was alright man, alright. Love me some KT.

As a local resident with a new to me bike, the community pass at Mt. Abram was too good a price to pass up, so I decided to commit without having ridden there. Got out today, and I'm feeling pretty good about the decision. There isn't a ton of terrain, but I could easily ride there every opportunity I get this summer and still not be comfortable ripping the more interesting stuff.

It was quite the diverse crowd, everything from full face helmets, full armor, and what appeared to be downhill rigs to rental bikes and denim shorts. I wasn't particularly surprised that some of the younger riders (like too young to drive legally) were riding a lot faster and smoother than I was, but there were other less-young customers proceeding slowly, so I didn't feel like too much of a goober most of the time.

I think I got five or six laps in over two hours, with one uphill ride towards the end (too much standing on the pedals and not actually moving my feet much was taking a toll, and the lift line was starting to grow). The new trail that's under construction on the liftline looks to be a lot of fun once finished; I could get used to this whole berm-riding thing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Abram is filling in a void for that area, for sure. My GF got me a 4 ticket pass (which will be used exclusively for the bike park) and I am psyched to get up there. I’ll be taking her to give her the first Lift serviced biking experience. The beginner stuff is really friendly and nothing they’ve built is crazy difficult. The promo that Donny Pelletier did was really great.

How crazy were the crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

I think I got five or six laps in over two hours, with one uphill ride towards the end (too much standing on the pedals and not actually moving my feet much was taking a toll, and the lift line was starting to grow). The new trail that's under construction on the liftline looks to be a lot of fun once finished; I could get used to this whole berm-riding thing.
    Meh, flatten that berm

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Abram is filling in a void for that area, for sure. My GF got me a 4 ticket pass (which will be used exclusively for the bike park) and I am psyched to get up there. I’ll be taking her to give her the first Lift serviced biking experience. The beginner stuff is really friendly and nothing they’ve built is crazy difficult. The promo that Donny Pelletier did was really great.

How crazy were the crowds?
    Crowds weren't bad, IMO. The weather probably kept some people away, but the line only started growing beyond a few chairs on the one lap I decided to earn. Given how slow the lift is, I'd wager it was just a case of two or three decent sized groups showing up at once. Other than that, it was between zero and three chairs in front of me, and I was there 10 to noon.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Meh, flatten that berm
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Crowds weren't bad, IMO. The weather probably kept some people away, but the line only started growing beyond a few chairs on the one lap I decided to earn. Given how slow the lift is, I'd wager it was just a case of two or three decent sized groups showing up at once. Other than that, it was between zero and three chairs in front of me, and I was there 10 to noon.

We were saying that even though most of the chairs were full, we didn’t run into any traffic on the trails on Sunday. Mt. A will never be another Highland, but it’s still fun.

We were planning on the afternoon session so we could hang out and listen to some music too, but based on the weather ride in the AM instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoclave View Post
    We were saying that even though most of the chairs were full, we didn’t run into any traffic on the trails on Sunday. Mt. A will never be another Highland, but it’s still fun.

We were planning on the afternoon session so we could hang out and listen to some music too, but based on the weather ride in the AM instead.
    The slow chair is really an asset in that regard, IMO; I caught people in front of me on two runs (and got caught at least once), and if you had even 30% more uphill capacity, it would turn into a bunch of downhill clusters, especially with the range of ability levels (IMO). Once they get the in-progress trail opened up and the right-side easier trail open again, I think they'll have a pretty good spread of terrain to keep most folks occupied for a while.

It would be interesting to see what they could end up with if they started building more-advanced bike trails on the main mountain, but I don't really expect to see that happen. They've got a good niche where they are, and trying to compete for the gnar-seeking customer base seems a fool's errand; particularly with BV turning the lift again, there are already a number of destinations in the northeast that offer expert lift-served. The current setup is also nice in that the climbing trail provides a nice pressure-relief valve if the liftline starts to get significant.

Went north to Stowe rode ranch camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    legend in my own mind