Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Surprisingly, no. Flowstate is a pretty huge success as far as numbers, but ATA is working tirelessly to log-off bad sections and guide rides that stay off lower mtn trails as much as possible. That's as of my ride at 2:00pm today at least. Pretty stoked to see that valley full of riders on such a beautiful day. Also Jeff Lenosky is a rad dude, and REEB frames are purty.
    Good to hear. I have bad memories of a few years ago when they held a trail running event after a rain storm and trashed some of the lower trails. Nice to to see some responsible trail use.

What a day yesterday for Flow State - can’t really ask for better weather, stoked to hear it as a success.

Curious to see who wins the Rooted gravel race today - cool and rainy conditions should make for a brutal race.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Boswell won the long course, and then served creemees for a couple hours in the untapped trailer.
    I finished before the rain started (I’m counting that as a win) and fully enjoyed the post race scene w/good food and good beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Boswell won the long course, and then served creemees for a couple hours in the untapped trailer.
    I finished before the rain started (I’m counting that as a win) and fully enjoyed the post race scene w/good food and good beer.

It’s pretty damn impressive that Vermont’s Lea Davison won the Slate Valley Epic on Saturday, and then took 7th place in the 82-mile Rooted today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiler17 View Post
    Sounds like the riding will be great, but I’m worried I am over-biked at this point in time. I have a 170/155 29er and will likely have to find something with less oompf. What travel is most commonly used? I come from a DH racing background so the rougher the trail the better. I’d rather ride something more stout that is harder to get up the hill over light and nimble.

Maybe a little bit. Loads of folks have full endurbro bikes around here as they hope to mix in the local stuff with quick jaunts to North Conway or longer jaunts to bike parks and Vermont. I ride a 160/140 29'er and it's just fine. If I were ONLY riding around Portland I'd love to be back on my 140/120 Following though
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Two different things going on here. Meeting of The Grinds is the gravel&mtb event scheduled for September @slayevalley. Should be fun, I’m leading a “monster gravel” ride AKA, mtb as we remember from 1989…
    Slate Valley Epic happened on Saturday and went real well. Greg Durso and his spotters made it through the 38 mile course! He is a very motivated rider!

2021 NE - Flatten That Berm

Rode Sleepy Hollow for the first time after work today. Tons of fun. I haven’t been in the MTB for a while and forgot what going anaerobic feels like!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628121120.791586.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	381496

How many parsecs did it take you?

The view from Butternut Cabin is a spectacular in the summer as it is in the winter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1628121181.702137.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	381497
    Last edited by Peruvian; 08-04-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Rode a very slippery Calias tonight. If you like backcountry esque technique single track with some spurt of hand built flow for sure worth checking out. I do not recommend going up switchback alley on SS with wet roots. This is maybe 1/6th of the mileage that can be had out there. Nothing is marked and is not on trail forks.
    Last edited by Bushwacka; 08-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Rode a very slippery Calias tonight. If you like backcountry esque technique single track with some spurt of hand built flow for sure worth checking out. I do not recommend going up switchback alley on SS with wet roots. This is maybe 1/6th of the mileage that can be had out there. Nothing is marked and is not on trail forks.
    The land owner of Calais has requested that their trails are not made public. They are riders and are happy with people enjoying their land. However, the 3 landowners on the road have become unhappy the excessive speed and lack of courtesy that bikers/hikers/ trail runners over the past year have demonstrated while driving to the trails. Please respect the land owners wishes and not display info in public forums, keep it word of mouth.

Switchback is far better going down, the land owner has done some nice stone work on that one.
    Last edited by Boreas; 08-06-2021 at 11:10 AM.

^^^What he said. Please remove link ASAP...

Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    Two different things going on here. Meeting of The Grinds is the gravel&mtb event scheduled for September @slayevalley. Should be fun, I’m leading a “monster gravel” ride AKA, mtb as we remember from 1989…
    Slate Valley Epic happened on Saturday and went real well. Greg Durso and his spotters made it through the 38 mile course! He is a very motivated rider!
    Sick. Go Greg Durso.

SVT and affiliated folk are killing the game.

Anyone got a recommendation for an intermediate trail network in the NE Addison or SE Chittenden county area of VT? Middlebury? Catamount? Looking for a ride with my wife who would not appreciate the amount of tech/climbing in Hinesburg, which is mostly what I have ridden in the area.

Battell forest in Middlebury had some intermediate/advanced trails, but catamount or Saxon hill would be best if you can make the trek.
    Catamount requires a trail pass but Saxon is free.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Anyone got a recommendation for an intermediate trail network in the NE Addison or SE Chittenden county area of VT? Middlebury? Catamount? Looking for a ride with my wife who would not appreciate the amount of tech/climbing in Hinesburg, which is mostly what I have ridden in the area.
    Mud Pond is small but is about 10-15 min closer than Saxon Hill. Saxon is much more interesting with bridge work, etc. though.

Regarding last night's ride with Laps at Cochrans.

Oooh, ya gotta love the pain! Thanks for your patience, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    The land owner of Calais has requested that their trails are not made public. They are riders and are happy with people enjoying their land. However, the 3 landowners on the road have become unhappy the excessive speed and lack of courtesy that bikers/hikers/ trail runners over the past year have demonstrated while driving to the trails. Please respect the land owners wishes and not display info in public forums, keep it word of mouth.

Switchback is far better going down, the land owner has done some nice stone work on that one.
    Yep. The first rule of fight club…….

Sunny Hollow in Colchester (https://www.trailforks.com/region/sunny-hollow/) is worth a trip for beginners and intermediates. There are a few routes on Trailforks that get you 6-15 miles of riding with not much vert to climb, 600-700ft. Mostly flattish sandy not technical riding, a few berms here and there, and a few wide bridges.

I'd +1 Catamount. It's worth the $10 per adult to ride at least once. The trails on the parking lot side of Governor Chittenden Road are a mix of singletrack and doubletrack. I've been taking the family and friends new to biking over there to explore, as you can ride the doubletrack loop and hit the singletrack trails that branch off the loop. The view at the top of Look Out is cool, then you can take Bear Run -> Slalom for a fun mostly flowy descent.

Across the road (on the side with the brick building), the view from the top of Goose Hill is cool, and Shovelhead -> Gullywumper is a fun descent that has a couple technical turns, but nothing too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    Sunny Hollow in Colchester (https://www.trailforks.com/region/sunny-hollow/) is worth a trip for beginners and intermediates. There are a few routes on Trailforks that get you 6-15 miles of riding with not much vert to climb, 600-700ft. Mostly flattish sandy not technical riding, a few berms here and there, and a few wide bridges.
    And you can stop into the new Four Quarters Brewing location at the top of the square in Winooski on your way to Burlington.

I’d be happy to show you around Sunny Hollow. I usually ride it on my gravel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Regarding last night's ride with Laps at Cochrans.

Oooh, ya gotta love the pain! Thanks for your patience, man.
    No problem, great to catch up and glad you had fun. Let’s ride again when I’m back!

Also, anyone up for green woodlands tomorrow around 10? Hoping to swing thru on my way to visit my parents in Hampton.

It took a little while to figure out the best direction for a loop, but GW was riding pretty well yesterday.

Awesome trail network and lots of friendly people and cool trail dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    It took a little while to figure out the best direction for a loop, but GW was riding pretty well yesterday.

Awesome trail network and lots of friendly people and cool trail dogs.

Was there on Sunday as well...that Norris downhill was awesome! We have matching bikes as well.

Anyone have recs for a longish mtb ride within an hour of Augusta? I’m visiting in laws and got the kitchen pass to ride for half day or so. Carrabasset is a bit too far so I was leaning towards Portland area trails unless there’s something better.

I usually ride Bond Brook while there and would like to venture out.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone have recs for a longish mtb ride within an hour of Augusta? I’m visiting in laws and got the kitchen pass to ride for half day or so. Carrabasset is a bit too far so I was leaning towards Portland area trails unless there’s something better.

I mentioned this to you once before, but you should check out the A-Trail in the Kennebec Highlands. It is maybe 30 minutes north of Augusta in Belgrade/Rome. It is very unique riding experience. A-trail could be short for ass kicking cause that is how I usually feel afterwards. It is usually a 2 to 2.5 hour ride. Central Maine Nemba(CeMeNemba) has built a few sections but it is mostly got an old school techy feel. It is very rocky place that seems to be all up hill for the first half or more. Go to their website and look at the local trails info. There is a google map type thing that you can roll in and out of. When you find the McGaffey Mountain trail head, look for a small wooden bridge to the lookers right side of the lot. That is the start. You don't go to far before you hit a very difficult s-turny rock feature that sort of sets the tone. Make sure to do the lollipop section, which is the best part in a clock-wise direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    I mentioned this to you once before, but you should check out the A-Trail in the Kennebec Highlands. It is maybe 30 minutes north of Augusta in Belgrade/Rome. It is very unique riding experience. A-trail could be short for ass kicking cause that is how I usually feel afterwards. It is usually a 2 to 2.5 hour ride. Central Maine Nemba(CeMeNemba) has built a few sections but it is mostly got an old school techy feel. It is very rocky place that seems to be all up hill for the first half or more. Go to their website and look at the local trails info. There is a google map type thing that you can roll in and out of. When you find the McGaffey Mountain trail head, look for a small wooden bridge to the lookers right side of the lot. That is the start. You don't go to far before you hit a very difficult s-turny rock feature that sort of sets the tone. Make sure to do the lollipop section, which is the best part in a clock-wise direction.
    Yes, I do recall that rec. Sounds like that’s the ride I’mlooking for. I’ll def check that out, thanks.

Edit - just saw the ride on trailforks and looks pretty straightforward.

Last edited by HankScorpio; 08-11-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post

If you haven’t done Blackstrap, it’s a must. More than enough to keep you busy for a few hours, especially if you cross over to Hadlock.

^^this.

One of my favs is to ride over to blackstrap from Hadlock. Has a gentlemen’s country, backcountry feel to the connector.

Can cross over from the blackstrap zone through the happy cats world for a whole other network.

When are you looking to ride? Mainemagmini with Ski Addict?