Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Does Magura still have that .5 N meter soft plastic screw to do the bleed? I had Magura whatever is there top-of-the-line cross country brake, and loved them, except I bought a bag of 10 of those screws because they were impossible not to strip. I ended up switching to XT to get rid of the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yes. And they don't strip if you just tighten them in holding the shaft of the torx key between thumb and forefinger and rolling it between them. Once your fingers slip, that's enough.

^ good tip, Those brakes really are so good when they are dialed, i just found its much less hard to fuck up SRAM brakes, but then again, people hate SRAM, and people hate Shimano. In reality, they are all a premium product, with good support. When a set of maguras is dialed in, and hot after a good bit of braking, they really turn on, and then its holy shit power.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

And they don't strip if you just tighten them in holding the shaft of the torx key between thumb and forefinger and rolling it between them. Once your fingers slip, that's enough.
    Oh well. I thought I had looked at every YouTube video on tricks etc. The best one was to heat up a screwdriver and melt it into the screw to finally extract its after the Torx was effed up. They had a lot of miles on them, so it was time anyway.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    The best one was to heat up a screwdriver and melt it into the screw to finally extract its after the Torx was effed up.
    hahahaha... "thanks for spending $600 on a new set of top of the line brakes! Please watch this short video on how to melt the stripped screw to extract it... "

I think I'm leaning towards newer XTR. really light, well regarded perf, reasonably straightforward to set up/maintain, mineral oil, no weird rotor dependencies (I don't think, I happily use different rotors on my older set), can find parts readily (post pandemic), and they are to die for beautiful imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    If you have always been such a condescending asshole it explains a lot.

I have been working on Bikes since 85 and autos since 74. Thanks for your useless advice.
    Apologies, that wasn't meant as a personal attack. Just a statement that while DOT fluid is nasty stuff, and certainly not something to handle without appropriate care, it is not significantly worse than other chemicals you might use in car, bike or home maintenance, including shimano mineral oil. As such, I don't think it makes sense to suggest others avoid DOT based brakes based on the fluid.

So back to thread, I'd go new XTR given the choice. Rode the 9100(??) 4-piston and they're silky smoove and powerful, plus IME easier gravity bleeds presuming they're same as past 2 generations which I think is the case.

I have Guide's on my S-works Stumpy which I've been happy with, but always loathed bleeding Avid/SRAMs.

Get whatever McCaskill's using.

I'm not an expert or dentist, but I recently bought a pair of Magura Trail Sport (which I assume are their bottom-tier set) and had zero issues installing them. Had to shorten one of the lines which I've never done and was surprised how easy it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Poor wording on my part. DOT 5.1 is toxic shit. If you get it in your eyes it will blind you or at least seriously fuck up your vision.
    DOT 5.1 and 4.0 are both based on DEG along with other glycols. The wt% varies all over the place depending on brand etc. So no general toxicity difference. I’ve upgraded to 5.1 in all my brakes, except Shitmano of course.

Btw Formula is the correct answer to any brake thread in my experience. DH power at XC weights.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Btw Formula is the correct answer to any brake thread in my experience. DH power at XC weights.
    I had a different experience after two years dealing with pad/rotor rub on set of their high end weight weenie models (Ouro? i don't recall) I lost patience. But as others have said, all of these high end models get the job done and each have their little annoyances.

what ever you find, want to sell me the "old crapped out" XTR?

I've ridden a bunch of miles on a 2107 Specialized Epic that has SRAM Level Ultimate's on it, they work fine and have been maintenance free outside of pads and the annual bleed. I'd like to move to a four piston brake but have not pulled the trigger. I'm never sure how much more braking power I'll get from a G2 or CODE if I keep the 160 rotors i got the bike with and the low rolling resistance FastTracks I intend to keep rolling on? Of course the price point is an issue as well.

When i go from big bike to xc i tend to end up hating the two piston brakes for an hour and forgetting about them by the second or third descent.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Thanks Jack Burton. good to know the Level Ultimates are delivering. I resolve your issue by not having a big bike haha.

No such thing as too much brake! SRAM Code RSC brakes and immediately use trickstuff powerstop+ pads... It's an amazing combo..
    SRAM modulation, but with real ultimate stopping power.
    Scientifically proven..

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/