Garmin Edge GPS and Speed/Cadence Sensor

So, they use an ANT sensor from what I am reading (Edge 800 if it matters on the model of GPS). The part from them is a Garmin GSC 10 from the manual. There are also the Series 2 with 2 separate sensors that mount up.

Any opinion on the 10 single device vs the new Sensor 2 series?

Is there any reason to look at alternative 3rd party Ant sensors (and will they work properly)?

Shopping for one for once bike season returns after the end of ski season.
    Last edited by RShea; 01-28-2021 at 09:22 PM.

You have an Edge 800, and you want a cadence and a speed sensor?
    The GPS on your Edge 800 also works as a speed calculator, so you should get a speed reading without a speed sensor.
    The GSC 10 is pretty old technology, and is only ANT+. But the positives are 1 battery, and 2 magnets for for a 2 functions. Its also clean on the chain stay and a minimal magnet on the crank arm. Negatives are it is not future proof for a BLE only computer or BLE watch, or Zwift etc.
    The Series 2 are both ANT+ and BLE, the speed sensor (if you really need it) is clean and tight. The Cadence sensor is a bit bulky on your crank arm.
    Aftermarket or other brand unit I'd suggest is the Wahoo Blue SC Speed and Cadence Sensor (also branded Bontrager, Sunnto, on others). It is a chainstay mounted unit like GCS10, but it transmits both BLE and ANT+, Single battery, small wheel magnet and small crank arm magnet.

I have all of the above listed on various bikes. They all do what they say they should.
    -Road Bike 1 has Stages power meter for cadence, and I use the GPS for speed.
    -Road Bike 2 has a GCS10 with the wheel speed arm removed so only producing cadence, and GPS for speed
    -Mountain bike 1 has a Sensor 2 on the crank arm for cadence only, GPS used for speed.
    -Mountain bike 2 has a Sensor 2 on crank arm and sensor 2 one hub for both speed and cadence
    -Mrs's Indoor bike had a Wahoo Blue SC to produce a BLE signal for Zwift on dumb trainer, and an ANT+ signal for Garmin computer.

I have a GSC10 around somewhere that you can have it for like, beer money. You might need to replace the battery and scrounge up some zip ties.

I used to use it on my dumb fluid trainer so I could maintain a gear and cadence to do repeatable efforts, but then would just take it off the rest of the year, and now I have a smart trainer so it's not doing me any good.

All good stuff above. Worth reiterating that you should just trust your Garmin's GPS for speed.

I have multple GSC-10s that have been very solid performers & great on battery use (last several years) for cadence-only application.

If easy enough for Jamal to find his, I'd take him up on that offer -> they are nice units and hard to come by these days. Being ANT-only hasn't limited the use for my personal applications (outdoor cycling with Edge 350/500 computers or Fenix/Vivoactive watches), and all current Garmin watches are ANT+, so I expect they'll be good for another couple years of my devices at least.

Only issues I have had was in 2 of my 4 GSCs: I eventually had to go in and cut/cap the wiring in the (unused) speed sensor arm as they started giving occasional inputs out of the blue after several years of use/no wheel magnets installed. Was an easy fix once I figured out what was happening, but reinforced a cadence-only sensor was preferable for a GPS head/watch.

If you still want speed + cadence, GSC-10 is a nice package, but bike geometry may make it unworkable -> likely fine for any road bike or hard tail MTB, but suspension geo (or e.g. fat bike) may make it impossible to have 1 sensor location work for both cadence + speed. For this go for the Sensor 2 (or equiv 2-component system from another company that is ANT+ capable)

My daughter bought a knock-off cadence sensor when the Garmin 2s were hard to come by, and it had no problem synching with our Garmin watches:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

She got this one a couple years back, and it is still ticking. Note that these will likely be ANT & Bluetooth, so while your Edge won't care, it may future-proof your bike if you decide to get a newer computer/watch. The GCS-10 was the only game in town when your 800 was first made, so that is likely why it is the only part mentioned in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I have a GSC10 around somewhere that you can have it for like, beer money. You might need to replace the battery and scrounge up some zip ties.

I used to use it on my dumb fluid trainer so I could maintain a gear and cadence to do repeatable efforts, but then would just take it off the rest of the year, and now I have a smart trainer so it's not doing me any good.
    Jamal... Thanks for the reply. I guess I can't pass up that offer. If I use it for nothing else than cadence sensor. I can definitely provide some beer funds and cover shipping. I'll PM you some details.

The battery replacement should not be a big deal and the zip ties are always available from my pack in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    You have an Edge 800, and you want a cadence and a speed sensor?
    The GPS on your Edge 800 also works as a speed calculator, so you should get a speed reading without a speed sensor.
    The GSC 10 is pretty old technology, and is only ANT+. But the positives are 1 battery, and 2 magnets for for a 2 functions. Its also clean on the chain stay and a minimal magnet on the crank arm. Negatives are it is not future proof for a BLE only computer or BLE watch, or Zwift etc.
    The Series 2 are both ANT+ and BLE, the speed sensor (if you really need it) is clean and tight. The Cadence sensor is a bit bulky on your crank arm.
    Aftermarket or other brand unit I'd suggest is the Wahoo Blue SC Speed and Cadence Sensor (also branded Bontrager, Sunnto, on others). It is a chainstay mounted unit like GCS10, but it transmits both BLE and ANT+, Single battery, small wheel magnet and small crank arm magnet.

I have all of the above listed on various bikes. They all do what they say they should.
    -Road Bike 1 has Stages power meter for cadence, and I use the GPS for speed.
    -Road Bike 2 has a GCS10 with the wheel speed arm removed so only producing cadence, and GPS for speed
    -Mountain bike 1 has a Sensor 2 on the crank arm for cadence only, GPS used for speed.
    -Mountain bike 2 has a Sensor 2 on crank arm and sensor 2 one hub for both speed and cadence
    -Mrs's Indoor bike had a Wahoo Blue SC to produce a BLE signal for Zwift on dumb trainer, and an ANT+ signal for Garmin computer.
    Thanks for the run down on some of the differences and possible issues- very informative (maybe even a bit overwhelming.)

I do not use a smart trainer right now, so not worried about Zwift and the like at this point. Smart Watch at this point is not of any concern. Would be just fine with Cadence sensor as primary need. But most of the Ant+ versions are either bundled together or an all in one from what I have found so far.