Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Bibs

Help with Bibs

Gonna upgrade the outerwear soon and look at bibs...mostly resort with some touring but the 20kmm+ is a must for me

Considering Flylow Baker or maybe Trew but anyone else have suggestions for another brand? Paddaguuci? Arcteryx?

6’3 and about 180 lbs

Thinking large or maybe medium tall

Thanks for the help in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Baker is solid but legs are short. I'm 6' and medium inseam is just barely long enough.

I'm similar size and I never felt like the Baker fit very well. I'm using the Salomon GTX bibs and really like them. They've never soaked through and I like the cut. Dual leg zips give them great air flow.

The new Baker bibs are not like the old Baker bibs. I wore holes in mine just from normal rubbing that happens while skiing in less than 50 days. And their new dwr is worthless.

I had trewth bibs for a couple years. They were decent, although their dwr was also a bit lacking. The supposedly indestructible fabric around the cuffs completely deteriorated and fell apart.

Currently in norrona bibs. So far so good, but only have 30-ish days in them.

The weight and "stretchy material" obsession has completely ruined the industry for durable membranes with a long lasting dwr. I'm sure the dwr has to do with the industry shift away from bad chemicals, which, fine. (Good)
    But practical waterproofness has as much to do with thinner, flowier construction as it does with dwr.

I have two pairs of bakers. 30 days on one pair in brush and tight trees and I have no rips or tears. And they are crazy water proof. I was in a stream the other day. I’m 5’11 175. I wear a large. And the legs are long on me. Norrona sparks my interest for sure though.

I have old trewths- they’ve probably changed a lot in past 8 or so years but mine are way heavy but only moderately durable (lots of stitches and seam sealer).
    I tried some pat snowdrifters off of worn wear. They seem great for touring, very light and good minimalist design. I’m 6’1 and 180 and the large was way too big, oddly so in the waist and butt. Guessing you’d be a medium in those. But length may be an issue at 6’3. Bib fit is just trickier.
    My son has bakers and they seem to be a good middle ground - well made and durable, but not too heavy.

Arteryx are my go to bib,6ft 1 205 lbs xl is a good fit. i also have the Orage Gibson bib,which i really like.The xl is a little tight in the upper chest this season last year at at 200 they were perfect. At your height and weight the XL should be perfect.So far the Orage have keep me dry in some pretty wet weather

I have had good luck in the past with Dakine stuff if you aren’t as concerned about weight. Has held up for me in the PNW. Currently have the Trew Capow bibs which are much lighter and worlds more breathable with good waterproofing. Can’t comment on durability yet with only 15 days on them.

I have the Arcteryx Sabre LT and the Trew Capow bib. Both are very nice. I am 6', medium in both bibs, both are plenty long enough. The Trew bib is definitely too heavy for touring. The Sabre LT is too lightweight for sitting on a chair when it is cold and snowing.

Help with Bibs

Very happy with Strafe Nomad. Event breathes and features are great. Lots of pockets, dual vents and two way zip. Good deals on sale.

6-3 195 and go XL for comfort. Not baggy but comfortable

Last edited by whyturn; 01-26-2021 at 08:26 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have the Trew bibs. 6-1, 185, Had to send the L back for a M. They're good.

i wear the newest beta sv bib from arc'teryx and could not be happier. features the gore "most rugged" fabric in high wear areas. feels bulletproof. nice full length side zippers. size large fits me well at 6', 240.
    swing your fucking sword.

kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Strafe.

Fit is tall and slightly narrow, eVent breathes amazing, pockets/features are minimalist, and owned/operated by skiers.

Help with Bibs

Have been a long time Patty fanboy and have several of their Untracked kits... I had been eyeing bibs for a while and landed a smoking deal on a Strafe Nomad bib and jacket combo and have not looked back... I am 6’4” and 205 lbs and their shit just fits me... It breaths well and to date has kept me bone dry...

Still love Patty but it is getting a bit dusty as Strafe is my preference...

Burton AK bibs have been bomb proof and my go to for decades. Long legs, dry in the PNW, durable, crotch zips, deep pockets and side zips. FWIW Burton AK bibs are also the pant of choice for the crew at the local car wash who are washing/drying cars all day in the cold, damp, rain, sleet, and snow. Step aside Grundens. 6'2 190 XL

Wow thanks for all the suggestions... I’ll have the look through the list here and do some research... I suppose I should have said I’m more resort than touring and burliness is more important than lightweight...

I’m using the Patagonia Snowdrifter bibs for daily resort and occasional (I prefer a softshells for walking) touring use. The medium fits my long and lean 6’1”, 175lbs, 32” waist) physique perfectly (no restriction, not baggy). No issues with durability or waterproofing after ~ 100 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I have had good luck in the past with Dakine stuff if you aren’t as concerned about weight. Has held up for me in the PNW. Currently have the Trew Capow bibs which are much lighter and worlds more breathable with good waterproofing. Can’t comment on durability yet with only 15 days on them.
    After years in some OG 1st or 2nd year Trewth bibs (crazy awesome, burly, baggy, and heavy), I switched to Capow bibs last year (way lighter, more breathable, and slimmer), and after 100+ days they’re still awesome. Fabric has wetted out a few times in storms recently (need a wash), but I stayed dry. Couple of tiny nicks on the cuffs, but nothing out of the ordinary. Great bibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea why Orage has never made any in roads at all south of the border. I'd never heard of it before coming to Canada, and you would think that only existing in one region since 1989 would be kind of impossible nowadays.

Anyway, I've been wearing one of their bibs for the last few seasons for touring and ice climbing. Really stretchy, waterproof, nice vents and fit. Much more articulated (and less stiff) than the Flylow Baker I had on previously. Pretty good if you can stay away from the super fugly colors and aren't fat because the cuts seem pretty long and narrow to me. I thought about getting a Patagucci Powslayer when I caught it on sale but didn't bother when mine should go a little while longer and is serving its purpose so well.

I had the previous one of these:
    https://orage.com/collections/men/pr...32650212180014
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Patagonia fits long. I'm 6', 180, but with disproportionately long arms and legs--ape index +6in--and large fits me very well.

I'm near your dimensions and have a lot of luck with the Marmot BL Pro bib - main complaint from online reviews has been for people with thicker middles but otherwise great fit without being tight or super baggy.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Bib pet peeve... bibs with belt loops... dedicated bibs, not the zip off kind. WTF? It's like that lawyer "belt and suspenders" saying

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’m using the Patagonia Snowdrifter bibs for daily resort and occasional (I prefer a softshells for walking) touring use. The medium fits my long and lean 6’1”, 175lbs, 32” waist) physique perfectly (no restriction, not baggy). No issues with durability or waterproofing after ~ 100 days.
    Happy with these so far ~20 days, only 1 tour. 5'11" 160 w/ 33" inseam in a Medium