Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    30 years ago at a molehill in MA (no longer live there but I'm a Masshole forever) I gave it a whirl. I had been alpine skiing for 25 years, was no longer racing and I was at a molehill so WTF try something new. I forgot that learning something new was a blast. Leather and skinny skis slowed me down, alot. Going slower meant being on the snow longer. Eventually plastic boots and wider skis (and a modicum of skill) enabled me to go faster. Tele made me a better alpine skier too. Injuries, age and outofshapeness led me back to a fixed heel. Yes, it is anachronistic and not easy (at first) but it's worth the effort if you want to slow down to ski with your little kids (or grandchildren) or you want a challenge. Easy to bash it but your tele buddies who can ski anything you can are better skiers
    Took it up last year for very similar reasons. It's fun. Great for skiing low tide. I think it does make me a better skier too.

But I'll still continue to criticize it (and myself for doing it) ruthlessly.
    Last edited by DarthMarkus; 01-26-2021 at 02:08 PM.

I've met women that love teleskiers.

I'd rather be a monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemahn View Post
    Ha. I sold a few pair of those at retail back in the day. Skied TM24s for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I've met women that love teleskiers.

I'd rather be a monk.
    What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What's the difference?
    Some monks are respected.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

30 years ago at a molehill in MA (no longer live there but I'm a Masshole forever) I gave it a whirl. I had been alpine skiing for 25 years, was no longer racing and I was at a molehill so WTF try something new. I forgot that learning something new was a blast. Leather and skinny skis slowed me down, alot. Going slower meant being on the snow longer. Eventually plastic boots and wider skis (and a modicum of skill) enabled me to go faster. Tele made me a better alpine skier too. Injuries, age and outofshapeness led me back to a fixed heel. Yes, it is anachronistic and not easy (at first) but it's worth the effort if you want to slow down to ski with your little kids (or grandchildren) or you want a challenge. Easy to bash it but your tele buddies who can ski anything you can are better skiers
    Mt Tom?

apparently the woman I’m meeting this weekend likes tele skiers

we’ll see how it goes
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This thread got me thinking; if I went straight to NTN and have never used a duckbill, do I get the same stigma?

This belongs here...

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Mt Tom?
    Wachusett, a very modest bump even for Southern New England, it's not unlike hills in Western New York or the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    This thread got me thinking; if I went straight to NTN and have never used a duckbill, do I get the same stigma?

stigma? or tele cred? The core of the friendliest elitist subculture (especially the elders) would not grant you the same respect, nor teach you the secret handshake (or share their patchouli and granola)

It doesn't matter what you ski if you rip and have a good time.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

ok sign me up. im a 28.5. what tele boot am I

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    5 inches

Tele skiers always overestimate their prowess
    . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1294.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	359946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	961.8 KB 
ID:	359947

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    28.5/29 Scarpa or Crispi, 28/28.5 Scott/Garmont.

Decent selection of used boots here: https://www.freeheellife.com/collect...mark-ski-boots

I spent some time shopping around for NTN boots recently, here's what I learned:

NTN options, from narrow to wide last:
    Scott Voodoo/Garmont Prophet (100mm) -> all Scarpa; all Crispi (102mm)

from soft to stiff bellows:
    Scott/Garmont -> Scarpa TX Pro -> Crispi Evo -> TX Comp -> Evo WC
    (from an email to Freeheel Life; some reviews put Crispi Evo stiffer than TX Comp)

from soft to stiff cuff:
    Scarpa TX Pro-> TX Comp, Crispi Evo -> Evo WC, Scott/Garmont
    (this is a guess based on various reviews)

tech fittings: varies by model year; currently all Crisipi NTN have front and rear tech fittings, Scarpa TX Pro and Scott Voodoo have front tech fittings only.

I ski a 98mm last 25.5 Dalbello Krypton inbounds, and ended up with a 100mm last 25.5 Garmont Prophet. I chose the Prophet because it was the cheapest option on eBay by over $100, but it's a pretty nice boot. It's definitely a "race" fit; I have toured one day in them but my toes get crunched unless I keep the forefoot buckle fairly snug. Speaking of which, the Garmont Prophet (and now Scott Voodoo) is the only NTN boot missing an instep buckle. If the Garmont and Scarpa cuff hardware is interchangeable, I would consider adding a TX instep buckle to keep the heel locked down.

I only have two days on this setup so far, but it's really fun. And, it's red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210126_202235210_HDR.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	973.8 KB 
ID:	359990
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

I've been relegated to mostly skiing the beginner chair with my youngest (5yrs old) so far this season because due to covid we opted out of all day lessons (poor kid is missing out on all the cool things her siblings got to do at 5). Last week I dusted off the old tele gear to make it a little more interesting. I don't think I had skied tele gear since 2007 (I bought dynafiddles in 2008). Honestly, it was a pretty fun way to spice up the green run. I snuck off and spun a lap on an overrated "black diamond" that's more like a moderate blue anywhere else and coupled with fairly icy conditions it was actually pretty exciting in an "OMG don't hurt yourself at your age" sort of way.

I'll probably use them again this season. Good times. But yeah, Tele skiing is stupid and I deserve whatever ridicule the kid on the LED infused snowboard was dishing out from the lift.

Wachusett, a very modest bump even for Southern New England, it's not unlike hills in Western New York or the Midwest
    my kids skied states there. one of them was an alternate one year and spent the day launching backflips on tele skis in the terrain park.

wa wa wa wa wa wachusett!

f that parking lot

Learn to Tele - Instant sex appeal*

Free the heel.....free the mind....haha.

I tele’d for 15 seasons mostly for the touring options. Once I had the cash to buy a pass and wasn’t allowed to tele at Squaw on patrol at the time I gave it up.

Still to this day the learning of edge control and balance point was invaluable. I’ll never do it again, too hard on the 48yo knees, but those glory years with a free heel were dope.

Merrell supercomps and T1’s were game changers. Compression springs were revolutionary. So funny how much of a boss I thought I was with Bandit XXX, G3 compression spring binders, and T1’s.

Much respect to those still doin it but the downhill and AT power available nowadays is remarkable.

Early 90‘s rippin around smokin weed on the teles were the best years of my ski life for sure.

Last edited by Tahoepa; 01-27-2021 at 04:08 PM.

This ^^^^ 100%

stay outta my line

I remember life before I got the dreaded TFT

Too Fat to Tele.

I bust them out once or twice a year just for the 'memberries.

Usually link about 5 tele turns together before about 50 parallel then when I see someone is looking - another 5 tele. (I am fat and vain!)

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Usually link about 5 tele turns together before about 50 parallel then when I see someone is looking - another 5 tele. (I am fat and vain!)
    hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

Always tele turns under the lift!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Always tele turns under the lift!

today at berkshire east for example.