Underfoot and cuff lateral adjustment for AT boots

Any boot fitters out there? I’m a little bow-legged and wanted to try doing an underfoot lateral wedge and also do something that effectively does a lateral cuff alignment. For my TLT6s and Vulcans which of course don’t have cuff alignment in the pivots, as with most other AT boot models.

For underfoot, I couldn’t find anything on tognar or bootfittingsupply.com that would provide a lateral wedge. Had a couple ideas: to grind a couple of shims; the other to simply cut a shim in half lengthwise and adhere to another full shim (I need shims anyway for my low-volume feet). Probably like a 1/16” cut on top of another 1/16” shim.

For the cuff alignment, I’d just slap some boot fitting foam on the medial side of the cuff part of the liner, above the flex zone. The issue I’m concerned with is rubbing with the multitude of movable pieces of the shells.

For those with boot fitting experience, what are your thoughts on these strategies and how would you approach this situation? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

i thot the vulcan would be a problem due to no cuff-cant and I'm knock-kneed/flat foot, but with a foot bed & powerwrap everything aligned just fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

drill out the side cuff rivet and add an adjustable cuff screw from a alpine boot?

Have you had to do upper cuff alignment with alpine boots before? (IE: is the work needed)

Underfoot and cuff lateral adjustment for AT boots

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately with the TLT6 and Vulcans that both have the Dynafit Ultralock system, changing the cuff angle I think would misalign the top buckle to the hinged spoiler with the lean chip; unless someone has done this?

Yes, with my alpine boots after loosening the adjustable cuff pivot, floor flexing, and retightening, the cuff adjustment is well into a lateral angle from factory settings.

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    I’m a little bow-legged and wanted to try doing an underfoot lateral wedge and also do something that effectively does a lateral cuff alignment.TGR Forums
    If you put a canting strip under your pin bindings it will simultaneously tilt the boot sole and shift the cuff.

If your bindings are attached with Binding Freedom inserts you can easily try a canting strip (and then easily get rid of it if it doesn’t work).

My bootfitter supplied/fitted lateral wedges from the Foot Foundation in my Mercury boots to correct my alignment issue. These are available is 0.5 degree increments which sit on top of the zeppa/boot board and underneath the boot liner: https://footfoundation.com/product/pronation-wedges/ . I then have custom footbeds within the liners for the correct support of the foot etc. The Foot Foundation lateral wedges have the same effect as planing the boot sole on an alpine boot but which obviously can't be done of an AT boot.

My fitter has got the proper alignment analysis/testing kit to determine what angle wedge(s) to use but the Foot Foundation also offer a self testing kit: https://footfoundation.com/product/testing-kit/

My fitter needed to thin down the height of my footbeds to give the volume required to fit the lateral wedges.

The use of the wedges meant that the soles of my boots were flat when I'm in my skiing stance which also corrected the cuff misalignment at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    My bootfitter supplied/fitted lateral wedges from the Foot Foundation in my Mercury boots to correct my alignment issue. These are available is 0.5 degree increments which sit on top of the zeppa/boot board and underneath the boot liner: https://footfoundation.com/product/pronation-wedges/ . I then have custom footbeds within the liners for the correct support of the foot etc. The Foot Foundation lateral wedges have the same effect as planing the boot sole on an alpine boot but which obviously can't be done of an AT boot.

My fitter has got the proper alignment analysis/testing kit to determine what angle wedge(s) to use but the Foot Foundation also offer a self testing kit: https://footfoundation.com/product/testing-kit/

My fitter needed to thin down the height of my footbeds to give the volume required to fit the lateral wedges.

The use of the wedges meant that the soles of my boots were flat when I'm in my skiing stance which also corrected the cuff misalignment at the same time.
    That's not the same thing as putting the shims under the binding or on the sole of the boot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Spyderjon, that's exactly what I'm looking for, and exactly $60 more than I was hoping for! :-p I'll give them a think, thanks a ton.

You don't build/remodel a house with a shitty foundation, get a foot bed and go from there,

off the rack foot beds worj if you get the right one and are not expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You don't build/remodel a house with a shitty foundation, get a foot bed and go from there,

off the rack foot beds worj if you get the right one and are not expensive
    Agreed, and I have a set of those already