Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    48

    Bike Suggestions for total N00b

    Hey all, figured while I'm looking for a new bike I might as well see what the wisdom of the TGR crowd is on the matter. I'm based in Colorado and new to MTB (have ridden road for awhile) but it seems like a great summer alternative to skiing so I'm looking to get into it. Been looking in the aftermarket for awhile but would love your insight into good options.

    Not having ridden much before, this feels like guesswork because I don't know my own riding style or up vs down preference. Thinking for a first bike I'd want something pretty well rounded, "quiver of one" so to speak (although there are some obvious downsides here).

    Specifically I've been looking at the Evil Following and new Santa Cruz Tallboy but would welcome any specific opinions about bikes I should check out or general thoughts on how I should think about going about finding the right bike.

    Should also mention I'm pretty much limited to the aftermarket due to price....this shit is expensive (isn't everything). Been looking on CL and Pinkbike but if ya'll have any better suggestions on places to look then let me know.

    Thanks in advance!

    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,098
    Isn't there some rule that you have to buy a Yeti. SB130. Available in red. There you go.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    12,853
    You're gonna die!
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    21,163
    A few points to remember to everyone thinking about buying a bike:
    1) new bike sales are thru the roof right now (very limited inventory)
    2) used bike sales are fetching high prices
    3) So if a bike sold for $4000, 2 years ago, it would normally sell for $2500ish. now getting $3000+
    4) bike parts get better and the technoligy trickles down (ya!) . So that same bike 2 years ago, at $4000 is now similar to the current bike at $3000 (and new) IE: 12 speed is released to a deore level soon at $1000 CND
    5) So: if the budget is $3000, why buy bike with 2 years of use/wear and tear etc? when for the same price you can buy new and get "branded" lower parts, that work just as well?
    6) So what to do? easy: no hunting for "used deals" just go to a store and buy the new pretty one on the floor. Get ahold of your local bike shop, and see what stock they have avail, or what they can order in for you.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,098

    Bike Suggestions for total N00b

    Bc of what Mtn lion wrote: go check out Spot. They’re in Colorado, they’re available, and they’re red.

    They have demos, so if you don’t like it, give it back to them.

    For the burlier side, Guerilla Gravity has some Ltd availability.

    Edit to add: maybe look at Alchemy. They were out of stock for a while...but they’re getting brand new fancy pants Arktos at the end of the month. Like GG, they use a “modular” system (I think). So, you could buy a 120/120 ArktosST and a fork, shock, and link...and make it a 170/150 EndurbroArktos. Two bikes in one!

    All three are in Denver area and all three are pretty different suspension and philosophy. Since you don’t know what you want, it’s a good start.
    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by smartyiak; 01-23-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,304
    Depending on budget the new Ibis Ripley AF is $3,000-3,300 and is a great example of #4 on mtnlion's list. Not sure what timeline would be to get one, but an aluminum frame should have less supply chain restrictions than carbon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,481
    A lot of it depends on budget. I think overall though, your thinking of a "quiver of one" is a good idea... a 29er with 130mm'ish of rear travel and a 140-150mm fork will allow you to ride just about anything on the Front Range, as well as most of the high country trails. The new Spot Mayhem 130 looks sweet, but it's got a $5000 starting price for a pretty average build. You're looking at a similar starting point for Alchemy most likely, and probably around $4000-4500 for Guerrilla Gravity once they're available again in a couple of weeks.

    There are definitely still deals to be found on the used market, I'd go that route for your first bike. Take a look on Pinkbike, I bet you can find a quality SC Tallboy or Hightower, or maybe a Yeti SB130 for ~$4000. Any bike that's a year or two old is likely going to blow you away, things haven't changed drastically over the last couple years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    423
    The Devinci Marshall is a new $2100, made in Canada trail bike with 130mm of Split Pivot travel, decent geo and a lifetime warranty. I would guess the only possible way you could secure one would be to call every Devinci dealer within an hour or two of you and be willing to put down a deposit if they say they have one in your size confirmed to show up at some point.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    12,055
    Thats a tempting price on a solid platform for a lot of people

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Bc of what Mtn lion wrote: go check out Spot. They’re in Colorado, they’re available, and they’re red.

    They have demos, so if you don’t like it, give it back to them.

    For the burlier side, Guerilla Gravity has some Ltd availability.

    Edit to add: maybe look at Alchemy. They were out of stock for a while...but they’re getting brand new fancy pants Arktos at the end of the month. Like GG, they use a “modular” system (I think). So, you could buy a 120/120 ArktosST and a fork, shock, and link...and make it a 170/150 EndurbroArktos. Two bikes in one!

    All three are in Denver area and all three are pretty different suspension and philosophy. Since you don’t know what you want, it’s a good start.
    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I live near Alchemy so I'll be sure to go check em out. Thanks for the beta!

    Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The new Spot Mayhem 130 looks sweet, but it's got a $5000 starting price for a pretty average build. You're looking at a similar starting point for Alchemy most likely, and probably around $4000-4500 for Guerrilla Gravity once they're available again in a couple of weeks.
    I was more thinking: for someone who doesn't know what they want/need. Those are all pretty close to him and have very different "philosophies" and suspension platforms. Maybe throw in Yeti...b/c SI is the best. It might start to help him form an opinion of what he might like.

    For example: Horst link is terrible...prove me wrong!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Depending on budget the new Ibis Ripley AF is $3,000-3,300 and is a great example of #4 on mtnlion's list. Not sure what timeline would be to get one, but an aluminum frame should have less supply chain restrictions than carbon.
    Tough to go wrong with this new Ripley AF Deore or SLX as a do all bike. I'd jump on this simply because its a great bike and most shops have them in stock at the moment (at least around here). Bikes are in short supply so I would take advantage of the fact that you can get a sweet rig for $3k and not have to wait for months.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,481
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I was more thinking: for someone who doesn't know what they want/need. Those are all pretty close to him and have very different "philosophies" and suspension platforms. Maybe throw in Yeti...b/c SI is the best. It might start to help him form an opinion of what he might like.

    For example: Horst link is terrible...prove me wrong!
    I know Spot has demos available from their shop in Golden ($25, I believe), so that's a good place to start. Looks like Yeti is still running theirs too, which are $40. No idea on Alchemy. GG is probably starting theirs up again soon too, so that's four different bikes you could ride that are all local, and won't cost you much money.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,377
    Any rumors on the new Alchemy, and whether it will have a water bottle cage in the front triangle?
    I am leaning towards picking up a Hei Hei for a few reasons, but one is that there are two water bottle cage mounts, one for water, and one for bear spray.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Any rumors on the new Alchemy, and whether it will have a water bottle cage in the front triangle?
    I am leaning towards picking up a Hei Hei for a few reasons, but one is that there are two water bottle cage mounts, one for water, and one for bear spray.
    Just this:


    and: yes to water bottle
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,377
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Just this:


    and: yes to water bottle
    That’s a teeny-weeny water bottle.
    Not good enough.
    Oh, well.
    But thanks for the spy-pic!
    Anyone recognize that trail/trails?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That’s a teeny-weeny water bottle.
    The most annoying thing about the G1 Hightower. I don't see myself ever buying a geo set up with the shock not allowing a typical size bottle.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    8,782
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That’s a teeny-weeny water bottle.
    Not good enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hydrated.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	359596

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    29,377
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The most annoying thing about the G1 Hightower. I don't see myself ever buying a geo set up with the shock not allowing a typical size bottle.
    Shit, my Rocky’s will fit a 33oz/1l water bottle...looks like the Kona might actually fit two of those.
    Securely, and without horse and cowshit on the valves.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    21,163

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Magically whisked away to...Delaware
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    ...and: yes to water bottle
    Quoting myself b/c this update came today:

    "We've spent the last 2 years developing our new Arktos to combine three travel configurations and two wheel sizes into one revolutionary mountain bike.

    Choose from 5 variations, and change it up any time:
    Arktos 29 130F x 120R
    Arktos 29 150F x 135R
    Arktos 29 170F x 150R
    Arktos Mullet 150F x 135R*
    Arktos Mullet 170F x 150R*
    *27.5" rear wheel

    The bike also features:
    Low standover for improved maneuverability and use of long-travel seat dropper posts
    Dual water-bottle mounts to support long days of riding
    Updated geometry with slacker head angle and steeper seat angle."

    I think it comes out tomorrow. I'm not sure what's "revolutionary" about what they've done, but it sounds like a cool bike. I'm guessing the 2nd bottle is under the downtube...which isn't really a waterbottle (if you know what I'm sayin).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

    I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •