Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mask mandate on federal lands

Sooooooo.... does this apply to ski areas and backcountry?

Biden's first executive order will require masks on federal property

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/healt...ive/index.html

Pretty sure the intent is for buildings and urban type campuses... not forest land.

The order directs agencies--eg the Forest Service--to require compliance with CDC guidelines, which currently state that masks may not be necessary if you are outside away from others. That would seem to imply that current ski area practices, at least those I am familiar with in California, would be ok, since they all require masking except when actively skiing. I would think the emphasis will be on buildings followed by more crowded outdoor sites.

The regulation only applies for public indoor spaces don't worry

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The regulation only applies for public indoor spaces don't worry

I had to look it up: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-mask-wearing/

No where does the word "indoor" appear. This phrase shows up a few times: "and all persons in Federal buildings or on Federal lands."
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

OMFG THIS IS A TRAVESTY, THIS RUINS EVERYTHING*

*changes nothing and masks/face coverings are basically already required at all these places anyway. Not to mention no one will be enforcing a mask mandate in the BC/middle of a groomed run, not to mention we all know thats not what was meant by this. Its called discretion.

If a dumb ass wears a mask alone in the forest who will point and laugh?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Age old question

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    OMFG THIS IS A TRAVESTY THIS RUINS EVERYTHING*

*changes nothing and masks/face coverings are basically already required at all these places anyway. Not to mention no one will be enforcing a mask mandate in the BC/middle of a groomed run.
    Well my father in law was scolded by employees at a Nordic Center in New Hampshire this afternoon. Apparently they think it applies to people actively cross country skiing. Pretty ridiculous.

Was he in immediate contact with them to be scolded? Have you been in a lift line/around a lodge and not been wearing a mask?

Also, I am so sorry for the absolute horror and trauma he suffered for being asked to pull up a mask. Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

The squirrels, the birds, all the woodland creatures. Haven't you ever seen Snow White?
    (Also Dopey, if he isn't too busy posting on TGR.)

As far as a Nordic center, a pretty good rule of thumb would be--mask not required anyplace there are no employees. (I am disappointed to find that no one seems to know where the phrase "rule of thumb" comes from, and no, it does not refer to the size of stick with which you can beat your wife or your wife beat you.)

Name:  Image1611290409.284368.jpg
Views: 2613
Size:  68.3 KB

OMFG THIS IS A TRAVESTY, THIS RUINS EVERYTHING*

*changes nothing and masks/face coverings are basically already required at all these places anyway. Not to mention no one will be enforcing a mask mandate in the BC/middle of a groomed run, not to mention we all know thats not what was meant by this. Its called discretion.
    Pretty much. And have a mask with you just in case someone zealously enforces the rule in places where it's unnecessary.

"Hey, you need to have a mask on!"
    "Ok, sorry." *puts mask on*

Seems pretty simple.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I can't imagine where a person could be in a place to be asked to mask up by another person where you wouldn't already be.

Mind = boggled.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Well my father in law was scolded by employees at a Nordic Center in New Hampshire this afternoon. Apparently they think it applies to people actively cross country skiing. Pretty ridiculous.
    Was it on federal land even? Most it seems are not. Most likely the employees were following protocols that the resort put in place to meet their local health department's requirements.

And if your father in law
    a) Had to be told to put on a mask in public, and
    2. Then bitched about it to you later, then
    c: maybe consider the source.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

People who pay for nordic = mind blown. Cough cough, sorry, minor.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    People who pay for nordic = mind blown.
    Honestly. This is what we should be discussing and not masks.

Mask mandate on federal lands

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Was it on federal land even? Most it seems are not. Most likely the employees were following protocols that the resort put in place to meet their local health department's requirements.

And if your father in law
    a) Had to be told to put on a mask in public, and
    2. Then bitched about it to you later, then
    c: maybe consider the source.
    Such judgment....

Yes it was. He was not paying to Nordic. Laugh all you want but he’s over 70 and skates 3 hours every day. Pretty bad ass in my mind.

He’s bitching because it was totally ridiculous. He was around no one. Just happened to skate by a couple employees on the trails at various point like everyone does skiing. If the whole country took it as seriously as he does, we’d be in a much better place.

I understand that common sense should be applied here, but often it doesn’t.

Was he in immediate contact with them to be scolded? Have you been in a lift line/around a lodge and not been wearing a mask?
    No and no.

Also, I am so sorry for the absolute horror and trauma he suffered for being asked to pull up a mask. Vibes.
    It’s ok. He’ll be just fine. Thanks for your snarky concern.

People who think it's stupid to pay for Nordic have never had the pleasure of flying along a groomed Nordic track--skating or striding. Sure there are fire roads, there's the backcountry, back in Michigan golf courses and parks with a few inches of snow are almost as good as groomed, the state park here has a short free groomed course but you might have to pay to park, I've done them all. I still will pay for groomed Nordic because it's fun, and cheap. And in most years here there's just too much snow for anything faster than a slow hiking pace off the packed snow.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    exhalation of aerosols can linger even outdoors. Exercise leads to more aerosols being expelled. Most nordic centers are in sheltered forests where wind, ventilation, isn't as strong. Good on the Nordic Center keeping up protocols.

CDC guidelines specifically say no mask when exercising.

It’s not healthy.

Not sure how that works for indoor gym. But outside breathe free or suffocate.

And paying for Nordic is short money for a better quality experience
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    CDC guidelines specifically say no mask when exercising.

It’s not healthy.

Not sure how that works for indoor gym. But outside breathe free or suffocate.

And paying for Nordic is short money for a better quality experience
    From CDC Website

• For healthy people, wearing masks during exercise has not been shown to be harmful. However, individuals affected by lung disease, such as asthma or COPD, or heart disease, should be evaluated by a healthcare provider before attempting exercise with any mask.