Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    People who think it's stupid to pay for Nordic have never had the pleasure of flying along a groomed Nordic track--skating or striding. Sure there are fire roads, there's the backcountry, back in Michigan golf courses and parks with a few inches of snow are almost as good as groomed, the state park here has a short free groomed course but you might have to pay to park, I've done them all. I still will pay for groomed Nordic because it's fun, and cheap. And in most years here there's just too much snow for anything faster than a slow hiking pace off the packed snow.
    Yea, I was going to say that I thought they needed smooth packed snow to glide. At least in the PNW (western WA) there aren’t many natural open flat smooth snow covered areas to use. Seems paying for a groomed trail would be worth it, more than downhill skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skate skiing on a great groomed trail is one of my favorite things to do. The Aspen —> Snowmass trail system is a joy...even with a mask.

Jessie approves paying to skate ski:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4270.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	359100
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Jessie approves paying to skate ski:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4270.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	359100
    Why isn’t Jessie wearing a mask?

Christ man.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Sooooooo.... does this apply to ski areas and backcountry?

Biden's first executive order will require masks on federal property

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/healt...ive/index.html
    Yep. Not only do you need to start wearing your mask in the Gondola line you also now have to wear it on airplanes! Total B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Skate skiing on a great groomed trail is one of my favorite things to do. The Aspen —> Snowmass trail system is a joy...even with a mask.

The problem with skate skiing is that there are only two gears--high and overdrive. I may buy some decent XC gear next season to replace my 40 year old touring gear and I'm tempted to get skate gear, but there's something appealing to this old man to be able to shuffle along when I get tired of kick and glide. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Pretty much. And have a mask with you just in case someone zealously enforces the rule in places where it's unnecessary.

"Hey, you need to have a mask on!"
    "Ok, sorry." *puts mask on*

Seems pretty simple.
    Don't empower the Karen's.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Yep. Not only do you need to start wearing your mask in the Gondola line you also now have to wear it on airplanes! Total B.S.
    What a Maroon! You're supposed to be wearing them on airplanes already.

The problem with skate skiing is that there are only two gears--high and overdrive. I may buy some decent XC gear next season to replace my 40 year old touring gear and I'm tempted to get skate gear, but there's something appealing to this old man to be able to shuffle along when I get tired of kick and glide. We'll see.
    Actually there are more like 10 gears in the V1, V2 or V2 Alternate. Been doing it awhile and at first it was like you said but I knew I could do better so with practice I can now granny all 3 techniques now. It is all about getting a couple lessons in the beginning and practice. Learning proper technique has made it a fair bit more enjoyable and I can stay out for hours now instead of 45 minutes. We have literally 100's of miles of groomed 'biler roads/trails and Nordic trails within 1.5 hrs. I pay my $35/season for the local ski club and the 'biler club asks for $20. So, for $55 it is pretty cheap. I've never had a bad day in the 'biler chop either, just makes for more fun learning how to deal with different conditions. Little cookies in the chop are a whole different thing on skis without edges or a turn flex and weigh about a pound. I hardly ever see anyone as the SnowRoadies seem to like perfect trails more. The 'bilers always slow down and sometimes offer a ride or a beer. I made fun of the SnowRoadies for years until I tried it, now I have been happily eating crow for the last 17yrs.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    What a Maroon! You're supposed to be wearing them on airplanes already.
    We’ll see about all this once the re-count is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Don't empower the Karen's.
    For one, the scenario was people empowered to enforce rules (the example was employees of a nordic center). When someone with authority (even employee of the business where you are) tells you to wear a mask, it's not empowering the Karens to just put one on without argument. This doesn't have to be fucking difficult, nobody is fucking with your deeply held freedoms.

And FWIW, even in places where masks are not necessary, like hiking, it's courteous to put it on when passing people. Is it necessary? Maybe not morally or medically or legally (depending on location) but why is it so important for people to be right versus taking a quick harmless action that shows courtesy to the other person? Some people freak out if you get anywhere near them unmasked. I'd rather not freak them out than create conflict. :shrug: It's easy enough to always have a mask on you (either around your neck or in a pocket) and put it on/pull it up when doing so will make someone else more comfortable.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We’ll see about all this once the re-count is complete.
    Like I said... what a maroon. Not sure which moon of Qanon you hail from. Or is it heil from. But wake up. They lied to you and you need deprogramming from the brainwashing. I bet you think climate change is a hoax too.

You'll get it with some practice. Like tellybele said, you kinda need to learn to go slow. I can't swim slow, so I know what you mean, though. I used to have a pass at Tahoe XC, and I know they have some meandering flattish trails to practice on.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Buff goes up, buff goes down. This isn't hard.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Like I said... what a maroon. Not sure which moon of Qanon you hail from. Or is it heil from. But wake up. They lied to you and you need deprogramming from the brainwashing. I bet you think climate change is a hoax too.
    i'm fairly certain you all may have to have your sarcasmometers reprogrammed post election.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    For one, the scenario was people empowered to enforce rules (the example was employees of a nordic center). When someone with authority (even employee of the business where you are) tells you to wear a mask, it's not empowering the Karens to just put one on without argument. This doesn't have to be fucking difficult, nobody is fucking with your deeply held freedoms.

And FWIW, even in places where masks are not necessary, like hiking, it's courteous to put it on when passing people. Is it necessary? Maybe not morally or medically or legally (depending on location) but why is it so important for people to be right versus taking a quick harmless action that shows courtesy to the other person? Some people freak out if you get anywhere near them unmasked. I'd rather not freak them out than create conflict. :shrug: It's easy enough to always have a mask on you (either around your neck or in a pocket) and put it on/pull it up when doing so will make someone else more comfortable.
    Ok, agreed if you are in a place where it's a rule, or even if it's not a rule but makes sense. If you are in a place where it's not a rule, and there is no safety risk, then no, don't empower those people. For instance I walk my dog daily on a dirt road in the foothills that's 26 feet wide and never crowded (maybe pass 2 people in 3 miles). The other day a lady aggressively tells me that I need a mask to walk my dog there. She was 12-15 feet away, outside with a light breeze. I don't placate aggressive neurotics.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    i'm fairly certain you all may have to have your sarcasmometers reprogrammed post election.
    Maybe

I gotta let you off the hook. I wasn’t even trollin’, I’m just a sarcastic guy trying to be funny.

Rest assured, I haven’t flown since Feb ‘20 and I have had a legit mask on in every lift line I have been in this winter. Not because the government or national news told me I had to, but rather because my local ski area has made it clear that is what we need to do to stay open. Seems simple enough to me.

About 15 years ago I dressed up as Ron Burgandy for Halloween, but I’ve never been called a “Maroon” repeatedly before...

I gotta let you off the hook. I wasn’t even trollin’, I’m just a sarcastic guy trying to be funny.

Rest assured, I haven’t flown since Feb ‘20 and I have had a legit mask on in every lift line I have been in this winter. Not because the government or national news told me I had to, but because my local ski area has said that is what we need to do to stay open. Seems simple enough to me.

About 15 years ago I dressed up as Ron Burgandy for Halloween, but I’ve never been called a “Maroon” repeatedly before...
    Peace and apologies. Ya know, if we had listened to the govt we'd all be sick. Isn't Maroon a Bugs Bunny reference?

yah this: buff goes up, buff goes down.

i've started wearing mine full time while trail running as a ghetto version of altitude training. I dunno if it works or even makes sense, but I feel that way, therefore it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by pogs4ever View Post
    yah this: buff goes up, buff goes down.

i've started wearing mine full time while trail running as a ghetto version of altitude training. I dunno if it works or even makes sense, but I feel that way, therefore it must be true.
    Buffs for appearances only. Keeps the Karen's at bay I guess?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...9a6_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Precisely.

From CDC Website

• For healthy people, wearing masks during exercise has not been shown to be harmful. However, individuals affected by lung disease, such as asthma or COPD, or heart disease, should be evaluated by a healthcare provider before attempting exercise with any mask.
    My bad. It was the WHO update

FACT: People should NOT wear masks while exercising

People should NOT wear masks when exercising, as masks may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably.

Sweat can make the mask become wet more quickly which makes it difficult to breathe and promotes the growth of microorganisms. The important preventive measure during exercise is to maintain physical distance of at least one meter from others.

Mythbuster - masks and exercise
    https://www.who.int/images/default-s...mb-1920v.jpeg?
    . . .

Masks are fine to wear during exercise. They're not dangerous in any way, shape, or form. They may be somewhat uncomfortable to some people when they are trying to exert themselves tremendously and in some other people the sensation of breathing through somewhat increased resistance will feel unpleasant but there's absolutely no physiologic danger and if you just slow down a bit the sensation ought to go away or moderate.

People were selling masks and mouth pieces that purposefully increased the resistance to breathing long before COVID because they purported that they had physiologic benefit (it's dubious that they do, and it's definitely not a training effect like high altitude, though that's how they're usually marketed). If a thin fabric mask with an order of magnitude less resistance is dangerous, why weren't those masks causing ill effects constantly?

ps- it's nice to be able to go to whitehouse.gov and read something that doesn't make you ill and want to puke