Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Word, I don't run tubeless personally but that is good to know my pancake would work.

Only time I set beads is on 35-37" mud tires, so yeah, more volume there.
    Live Free or Die

LOL at the idea that a small pancake unit won't work for seating tubeless tires.

Are you blowing out your sprinkler lines?
    I've had 4 compressors.

I love my grip rite the most but is only for little stuff.
    https://www.toolbarn.com/griprite-gr...hgaAu35EALw_wc

This one is great for sprinklers but a beast.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...iii-62779.html

This one sucks ass.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use this for my sprinklers now, its okay.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...5168/302918678

I would be tempted by the makita, rolair or california air compressors though if I picked a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky
    +1

I've had a the Porter Cable pancake compressor for over 15 years and it has served me well. I recently added a 20 gallon Husky to the quiver for larger jobs like blowing out the sprinklers. Here's the new one I got:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20...2013/311273546

I've only used it a few times, but have been pleased with it. Definitely consider getting a quieter one like this or California tools. It makes a huge difference. I has initially purchased a Kobalt 20 gallon but it was so loud I had to wear ear protection to be anywhere near it.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    +1
    Because...?

I have one, and like it, as I posted up thread. Tell me why I don’t know what I don’t know.

Blows up tires? check
    Will run a nail gun? Check
    Cheap? Check

I dunno, seems fine to me.

^ Right? I even blow out my irrigation system.

But I’m open to other POVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Because...?

I have one, and like it, as I posted up thread. Tell me why I don’t know what I don’t know.
    I’m not a pro user either; but I’ve replaced parts on mine already, and it’s seen light duty in the few years I’ve had it. As it sits now, it works but isn’t very reliable. The set pressure isn’t maintained, and the pressure valve is unreliably mute, meaning four twists of the knob will give me completely different adjustment ranges every time I adjust. And I find I have to manually reset the pressure more often than not.
    If I had to purchase one again, I’d double my budget and get something else. A value isn’t valuable if it doesn’t work as expected
    My n=1
    [and I don’t beat on my gear]

I had a small Craftsman oil-lubed compressor that shit the bed after a couple years. I went to a Porter Cable pancake model and I’m a lot happier with it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...2002/203162815

Edit: Oh, like ice’s.
    I have that same Porter Cable compressor. Have been using it hard for about 8 years now. Professionally even. Just re-sided a bunch of a house using it. More than capable for home use tho. I use it for airing up car and bike tires, my variety of nailers, air guns, and more. Not what I'd want for regular use in a shop since it wants to refill constantly during use, but I've more than gotten my money's worth. I just shut it off when not actively using. Great when you can score the occasional compressor/2 nail guns combo deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

this is the one I've had for a few years and it has done everything Ive asked of it!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-26-G...essor/50292511

Because...?

I have it too. It is way too loud and, as mentioned above, the pressure adjustments suck. Still, it is $100 and it works. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years, hasn't failed me yet.

I also have one of those Porter Cable pancake compressors. I got mine for $25 on Craigslist, and I probably fire it up less than 5x a year to run a trim nailer. It's been fine for that. The drain valve or whatever you call it did rust out so it didn't hold pressure recently, but I found a replacement online for like $6, so no biggie.

The porter cable is my work compressor, nobody will steal it.
    Its too loud.
    Its too slow.
    If feels too heavy.
    It feels cheap.
    It just isn't half the machine my grip rite is and I can stand on it and it takes abuse and holds air for years.
    I just don't like the porter and all my staple/nail guns(4) are porter.

I think its on par with the makita.

I think the rolair is maybe better and the cali might be nicer too.

My P-C is loud, but so is every other one I’ve ever worked with, ever. I guess there are quiet ones?

Oiled is quieter, will last longer, not get as hot. At the very least get an oiled one.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Think I scored with this one. Barely used....$100. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210223_214523911.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	364617

My P-C is loud, but so is every other one I’ve ever worked with, ever. I guess there are quiet ones?
    I have one of these. It's so quiet sometimes I forget to turn it off.

I know I’m a few months late to the party, but I’m in the market for a compressor. I’m looking for:

- Portable (around the house, in the car)
    - Tubeless tire installations (I’m sick of futile floor pumps)
    - Powering a palm nailer
    - Baseboard and door moldings
    - Possible impact wrench for tire changes
    - Possible DIY T&G siding

Is this PC “kit” for $200 worth it. Or, are the nailers crap?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...3KIT/312030570
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    I know I’m a few months late to the party, but I’m in the market for a compressor. I’m looking for:

- Powering a palm nailer

So, no chance that would power an impact gun, altho it would probably do everything else on the list. But a little oil-less pancake is like a little yappy fuckin dog. .. so annoying and useless that, while it satisfies the job description, you'd rather not deal with its noise n attitude. If you are in a financial place where $200 extra isn't going to put you out, get something good quality, oiled etc, and a used nailer for $30 on craigslist or whatever. You'll be way more happy.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post

- Powering a palm nailer

I own this compressor and the 18 ga. nailer. I wouldn't say that the 6 gal pancake won't power an impact wrench for sustained work, it will likely need to recharge inbetween tires. It will bust off the nuts. Which is fine as you're probably working alone and need to move around and setup for the next tire anyway.

Yes it's noisy, but it will do all of your list and a bit more. I've used mine for a good amount of paint and wood finish lately, probably ran 6-7 gallons of paint and lacquer through the sprayer using this compressor over the last year. It struggles to keep up and you have to wait for it to catch up, but it's small, portable, and doesn't take up much space in the garage the 330 days of the year I'm not using it. It comes with tradeoffs. It's fit for a weekend warrior and will do what you're asking. The 18 ga. nailer isn't anything to get excited about but it's functional. I do need a 23ga pin gun, so if you can find a use for two of these guns, it's probably a good value.

My $0.02 is that air compressors are essentially boat anchors in most folks garages. Useless hunks of metal 360 days of the year. This is a place to go small and cheap unless you well and truly know just what you need. If you have the room, by all means find a bigger better one used, but don't spend more. And if you have the $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, get the quieter one. Because this one is loud.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Bought a PC pancake to do hardwood flooring and has been fine for every thing up to nail gun. Some wait times but fine as I'm not trying to put in a nail a second for long periods. Also trying to hit that joist or rafter as opposed to lots missing. Couldn't do the sand blaster for more than 10 seconds. So there is a limit.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

3rded on the PC compressor. Totally sufficient for my home jobber stuff, mounting tubeles tires, etc.

I had a real bitch of a time with those nailers though. They kept jamming up and finally ditched them for a battery powered set. Most likely some user error on there somewhere.

Recommend me a compressor for home projects and bike bullshit.

I’ve got that orange Ridgid pancake that you can get a HD for $30 more than the PC. Runs a siding nailer and brad nailer with no issues. Perfect for home use.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I have like 5 compressors and like the California Air Tools one best. It's much quieter than the others, and aluminum tanks are nice when I have to carry it into jobsites.
    Whatever you do, don't get one of the cheap pancake ones from HD. It will wake up your dead neighbors, though they do seem to last forever.
    ^^^ he is not kidding. One of my Covid projects was replacing the trim throughout the house. My compressor house had a tiny leak and one evening I forgot to unplug the son of a bitch in our front foyer that is open to the 2nd floor bedrooms. That SOB kicked on at 2 AM and I fucking levitated about 6 inches off the bed. Even during daytime hours those pancake compressors are seriously loud.

I bought 18 and 23 Gauge Ryobi battery powered finish nailers and am thrilled to not drag around the compressor and hose. They are heavier than air nailers but holy shit are they the cats ass for convenience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk