Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loveland Pass Avalanche Video

Based on the comment in the video it happened on "Friday" so I guess that means the Friday before the video making it 1/8/21? I don't know exactly where "no name peak" is but it looks to be above treeline on a N or E facing aspect and just below a ridgeline. Maurice says they were "excited that the Avy level had actually gone down" which it did move down to Moderate that day although there was a special advisory. Dude is pretty lucky he didn't get beaten to death by rocks. I guess he chose to report it to the local news rather than the CAIC??

Believe actually a S face. Just other side of No Name S of Loveland Ski Area.

Low angle bowl skiers right of this line.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Yep, it's just south of Loveland ski area and faces S. You can see ABasin Pali and Beavers in the vid.

"We knew we were taking a pretty big risk"

So ya skied it anyways? and his Instafamous name is Shreadsauce? For lack of a better term.......that guy is a tool.
    Old's Cool.

This was discussed in the Colorado Snowpack/Weather thread, extensively on several Colorado Backcountry Facebook groups, and was reported to the CAIC.
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/o...p?obs_id=63703

Aspect is SE.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Yep, it's just south of Loveland ski area and faces S. You can see ABasin Pali and Beavers in the vid.

"We knew we were taking a pretty big risk"

So ya skied it anyways? and his Instafamous name is Shreadsauce? For lack of a better term.......that guy is a tool.
    Cmon man, the hazard rating had been reduced, to Moderate.

Its been posted here before but, would you walk into a room if there was a moderate chance you would be beaten to death?
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-20-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Its now 2021, stop being a dick.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There was an embarrassing interview with Mario Bro on Colorado Matters today.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This was discussed in the Colorado Snowpack/Weather thread, extensively on several Colorado Backcountry Facebook groups, and was reported to the CAIC.
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/o...p?obs_id=63703

Aspect is SE.
    I am often confused by the CAIC website. Why is this not listed under the accidents section? I seems like it should be classified as more than an observation if someone was actually caught.

Quote Originally Posted by V-rex View Post
    I am often confused by the CAIC website. Why is this not listed under the accidents section? I seems like it should be classified as more than an observation if someone was actually caught.
    The "Accidents" section are incidents in which the CAIC conducts a thorough investigation, which includes all fatal avalanches, but not all avalanches in which people are caught. I don't know how they decide which incidents to investigate. "Observations" can include snowpack observations and avalanche observations with or without human involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by V-rex View Post
    Accident means injured, buried, or killed in the CAIC context. Kicking off a slide and taking a ride is just a really really solid observation.

The facebook thread was interesting. Most of it was about what I expected, but Maurice at least made noises about re-assessing his approach to conditions like this. We'll see if that happens.

He says his air bag and avalanche safety training saved his life.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    The facebook thread was interesting. Most of it was about what I expected, but Maurice at least made noises about re-assessing his approach to conditions like this. We'll see if that happens.
    Well, if he reassesses, that's a good thing, but geez!

Try as I might with the useless Facebook interface, I can't find the thread in the Colo BC Ski & Snowboard group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Its been posted here before but, would you walk into a room if there was a moderate chance you would be beaten to death?
    ^^^

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-21-2021 at 04:12 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

But, but they'd been planning to hit that line all week!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Accident means injured, buried, or killed in the CAIC context. Kicking off a slide and taking a ride is just a really really solid observation.
    And along those same lines, I'm not sure why they include killed, since it's just a really really solid injured.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    And along those same lines, I'm not sure why they include killed, since it's just a really really solid injured.
    Take a lap.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...er-fans/n10358
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 01-22-2021 at 01:48 AM.

I take issue with the use of the word "accident." It implies that there's no fault to be assigned, which is rarely the case.

Huh? People get in car accidents all the time and fault is assigned. Accident doesn't imply that there was no reason (and thus no fault), accident implies only that what happened wasn't intended or wanted.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

“...avalanche safety training likely saved his life.”

Is luck now part of AIRE 1 curriculum? What an arrogant thing to say.

Edit: I know it’s easy to Monday morning quarterback, but why do so many act like taking a level 1 weekend class is like passing the belay test at your local climbing gym?

Quote Originally Posted by V.R.P View Post
    “...avalanche safety training likely saved his life.”
    Yeah, that line made me cringe the most.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Yeah, that line made me cringe the most.
    Especially considering that the only "training" displayed was the ability to pull an airbag...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I just see the dreads w the beads and think, here is someone who struggles at making good decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    I just see the dreads w the beads and think, here is someone who struggles at making good decisions.

I read that and think here is some bald old fuck that probably wishes he has enough hair for dreadlocks.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I read that and think here is some bald old fuck that probably wishes he has enough hair for dreadlocks.
    Not that old, and full head of hair. I just must not be as cool as Rasta Maurice.

This is intended as a bit of humor, glad the guy lived to share his tale.

OK here goes:

I was just wondering what Pauly Shore has been up to, he looks pretty fit.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    And yet, I didn't see anyone with dreadlocks storming the capitol.