Trailer hitch mounted ski rack

Any recommendations on a trailer hitch mounted ski rack? My father in-law is trying to buy one for his car. He doesn't own bikes so doesn't want to get the Thule or Yakima ones that require a bike rack to fit skis.

So far we've found this one (https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15341...SABEgIfhfD_BwE), but wondering if anyone here has actual used one that they would recommend? Cheers
    Last edited by powder_to_the_people; 01-20-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Don't do it. Your skis will get annihilated with salt and road grime.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Any recommendations on a trailer hitch mounted ski rack? My in-law is trying to buy one for his car. He doesn't own bikes so doesn't want to get the Thule or Yakima ones that require a bike rack to fit skis.

So far we've found this one (https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15341...SABEgIfhfD_BwE), but wondering if anyone here has actual used one that they would recommend? Cheers
    Probably not car worthy - but works for a van or camper

Owl vans sold a ski box this year. The problem is that most TGR approved ski lengths wouldn’t fit.

The rack you showed looks like a lot of ski maintenance from all the road grime that will be on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I third the answer--that's the worst part of the car for collecting sand and salt. Might as well hang the skis from the exhaust pipe.

Maggots to the rescue! I was about to pull the trigger on something similar and hadn’t even considered the salt off the back of the car. Dodged a bullet for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Unless you can secure them well and also have them in a complete enclosure or cover/bag, you are just going to be better off with one of the roof top (which are bad enough for dirt and all - bindings etc. need to be covered at least) or one of the side window stick on suction cup racks that they made maybe.

Dry salt free roads and skiing resort destinations do not usually happen.