Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chomag Doctahawk

Ordered myself a frame with a March arrival. large.

Plan to swap over parts off my rootdown

GX, code rsc, chromag cockpit BZA

Anyone throw a 160 fork and run 27.5+ ? Any issues or comments.

Plan is to pop my 160 lyrik rc2 on and run 27.5+ with existing wheelset as one run is brand new after smashing a magna40 last summer.

Stokkkkked

Only question is the 51 mm rake, will it be to squirly?

Also thinking of

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Nice, man. I've been thinking about a new hardtail to replace my Niner ROS9 for a while. The Rootdown or Primer are the Chromag frames on my short list, the Doctahawk being a little too slack for my use case. But if you've got the terrain, it looks dope.

No direct experience, obviously, but I'd guess 27.5+ would go if there's clearance in the frame. You might need to pay attention to crank length, if you end up smacking them on rocks and such, as the BB will be lower vs. a 29" wheel. I think.

Regarding 51mm vs 44mm rake... I've swapped forks on my trailbike that had different rakes and there wasn't a lot of difference to me. But in full disclosure, the 51mm rake fork was a Fox 36 FIT4 set to 160mm, and the 44mm rake was the same fork in 170mm. So, the extra 10mm height is doing... something also. Handling felt slightly different, but not tons. I do have a buddy that's swapped two very different forks on his hardtail and there was slightly more difference, but again not unmanageable. The two forks were a Fox 36 FIT4 at 140mm and a new 'Zoke something-something also at 140mm (I believe) but I'm not sure which one was which offset.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Thanks pal! That answered most of my hesitation. My plan was to drop down to 170 cranks from 175, just neglected to finish the sentence.

I live on the north shore in Vancouver, so with my local zone, Squam, Whistler, and pemby, my thought is the DHawk will be the right call - but will report back.

Tire clearance checks for 2.8 which is what I ride now (minions).

If I need a new fork I can scrounge together some shekels I suppose.

Probably totally fine to run what ya brung regarding a fork to start with... and change it out if it seems weird or whatever. If you can borrow a fork to do a direct comparison to, that's obviously the best scenario. And I guess I should note, that even though I might not have noticed too much difference in forks with different offsets, someone else might be really sensitive to that variable. I have other things that I am sensitive about... for instance I felt more of a difference in handling between a 40mm and 50mm stem vs. different offset forks on the same bike. YMMV.

I read this article today after I responded to your post: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chroma...planation.html

And I thought the guy's climbing and descending theories were insightful. He talks about dynamic geometry, which is maybe something to think about in terms of "overcoming" the characteristics of a particular fork offset.

Also, remember that the dynamic feel of any bike is a result of the overall geometry, plus many other factors (tires, suspension setup, stem length, 'bar width, ride style, etc). Two bikes with disparate geometry can have a similar dynamic feel, while others with similar geometry can feel very different. The static numbers are just a part of it.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Perfecto - I think I read this a couple years back when my lust began for this frame. I wouldn't say I am uber particular with setup. It'll all be good and the advice is great.

Coming from a rootdown with a 60mm stem, 27.5+, same components I don't think I will be shocking the system too much.

Does your fork creak? I bet it does. Might be time to warranty it and ask for a 42 offset CSU when they give you a new one.

I went from 51 to 44 offset on my 36 FIT4 160 that I run on my 2019 Rootdown (got it swapped during a CSU warranty). The biggest thing I noticed was that it became easier to stay over the front wheel when required with the shorter offset. The long offset feels like it has the front wheel farther out in front on steep, chunky trails (i.e. less over the bars type feeling in holes or on steps). Given the choice, I think the short-offset fork results in a more well-rounded bike when run with a very slack head angle like on the Rootdown or Doctahawk, though it's not the hugest deal.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Does your fork creak? I bet it does. Might be time to warranty it and ask for a 42 offset CSU when they give you a new one.

I went from 51 to 44 offset on my 36 FIT4 160 that I run on my 2019 Rootdown (got it swapped during a CSU warranty). The biggest thing I noticed was that it became easier to stay over the front wheel when required with the shorter offset. The long offset feels like it has the front wheel farther out in front on steep, chunky trails (i.e. less over the bars type feeling in holes or on steps). Given the choice, I think the short-offset fork results in a more well-rounded bike when run with a very slack head angle like on the Rootdown or Doctahawk, though it's not the hugest deal.
    Great feedback and wink wink.

Ride on.

Nice... such a cool looking frame, what colour? My stylus is probably the only bike I will never sell...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Nice... such a cool looking frame, what colour? My stylus is probably the only bike I will never sell...
    They are such nice looking bikes.
    Here’s my Chromag Surface:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7856.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	905.0 KB 
ID:	358903

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They are such nice looking bikes.
    Here’s my Chromag Surface:

Name:	IMG_7856.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	905.0 KB 
ID:	358903
    Wicked!! Loving that bright colour.... here is my Stylus.

Name:	IMG_6681.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	358910

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I ordered a full matte black frame with the chrome decals.

Wasn't going to get too flashy, but still wanted to showcase that it's a chromag.

Same as the rootdown below.

https://chromagbikes.com/products/rootdown-21

My 2018 rootdown is similar but grey accents and not matte.

Sick!

Are you coming off another hardtail?

How big of rotors and what brakes you gonna run?

I’ve got a Size 2 GG Pedalhead, which is similar to the Doctahawk if it had a steeper HA and lower BB.

I spent some time this last summer on tech gnar and found the steeper and gnarlier the trail the less I cared that I was on a hardtail vs FS, but the more I noticed lack of rear wheel braking traction as the rear end was skipping off of roots rocks rubble and not fully engaging. So I ended up getting bigger rotors and brake adapters to get more braking torque. But better modulating 4-pot brakes would be awesome, if this weren’t my backup / 2nd bike ...

I’m running 51mm / 150mm and haven’t experimented with a shorter offset fork ... but my HA is a full 3 degrees steeper than yours will be ...

I’m really digging 29 x 2.6 front and back on 35mm rim width but haven’t played around with 27 x 2.8. And our trails here are way way smoother than most trail systems with a lot of vert.

Looking forward to hearing some updates!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Coming off a 2018 rootdown. Lyrik 160 with the charger 2.

Gonna swap my code rsc with 200 upfront over to the new rig, my wheelset ( chromag magna 40s ) and 2.8 minions, 170 one up dropper, BZA stem and bar.

New GX eagle groupo will likely replace my 11 speed.

Gonna do 170 cranks vs my existing 175.

More than enough bike for me. My first bike was a FS trance advanced but I sold and went to hard tail 2.5 into riding it.

I love the plus wheels for north shore and squamish and it definitely has helped my riding. Only riding for 4 years.

Had a nice brisk afternoon ride yesterday, this frame and groupo with be for sale when new frame arrives.

Last edited by Hughwindlip; 01-23-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Name:	Doctahawk.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	362557

Here she is ...

Couple weeks before March estimated arrival eh? NOICE.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Yes. Came early back from paint. Pretty impressed with the turnaround.

Also impressed with their customer service and the whole process.

Shop local I guess.

Build complete. Check this mutant.

Extra elongated

Gorgeous!

How does the seat tube angle feel with the 160 fork?

Have not tested the steed out yet but will report back.

My thought is that given they now spec their full builds with the Zeb 170, I am not too far off.

I guess STA will steepen and HTA will slacken... Maybe 0.3 - .5 deg ? I am just throwing a number out there. Not sure.

Doesn't feel as long on the garage floor but I will see once it's pointed downhill on the north shore.

Cool, please do report back. I’m actually considering a Doctahawk but I believe my 2018 Fox 36 maxes out at 160. Edit: just checked with Fox and mine will go to 170. Sweet!

The 170 Zeb makes sense. The Zeb is 5 mm taller in axle to crown than a Lyrik of equivalent travel, and it has the C1 style air spring that sits quite high in its travel. I was reading that the Doctahawk was designed around the previous 180 Lyrik Debonair, which would sit at quite a bit of sag compared to the current version.

I guess you’ll have to wait for a bit of snow to melt before getting out for a rip. At least it’s warming up.
    Last edited by D(C); 02-16-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Reporting back.

Road today on Mt. Fromme.

No issues with setup. Felt perfectly at home on the bike. Noticed the slightly longer stays with a bit more rear end balance when carving around beat up rocky stuff.

It's fast. Faster than the rootdown. Accelerated downhill quicker and also felt a tad lighter ( can this be true) on the up. (Subjective)

(Could be the new groupo tho)

Very pleased with the ride and the matte finish cleaned up nice with a quick rinse.

Wheelbase didn't seem to falter any tight switchies.

This bike is legit.

Chromags.