Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is a more damp, smoother Kastle MX 89???

With our complete lack of snow here in the Sierra's I have been skiing narrower skis this winter. Bought some Kastle MX 89's on ebay this summer. Most reviews all say how damp and smooth the MX series is from Kastle. Admittedly this is my first Kastle, but they aren't remotely as smooth as my old skool Stocklie Stormrider 95's. These are the green/black one's from approx '13, back when the tips weren't super soft.

What is a smoother/damper mid 80's underfoot ski? I'm a very traditional skier, like the old skool Legend Pro's and these old Stormriders for perspective. I'm 5'9", 160 so don't need a 2x4, but just love how the Stockli's just smooth out all chatter, vibrations, etc. Super confidence inspiring.
    He who has the most fun wins!

they're talked about a lot here - the monster 98's i loved in a 184 but a bit too much ski for skiing in Pa., wish i got the 177 in it. never had the 88 but the 98 was the most damp/stable ski i've been on - granted i never skied a stockli or kastle but i'd recommend trying the 88 monster. i believe it was the same construction as the 98. good luck in your search.

Monster 83 or Monster 88. Given your weight, I'd downsize them (177?).

Well ..... if stockli is the standard to be met ........ you will always be disappointed; so just get a stockli.

Brahma 88. This years has less early rise.

Honestly, the SR95 is one of the dampest, smoothest skis I have ever been on, so if that's the bar, I'd say track down an SR88. The monster 88 is very damp, but lacks the energy of the MX or SR IMO.

Aluflex Ephemere, medium flex. But expensive and long delay (custom made).

Monster 88 is also a good choice, more stable and solid on edge than SR or MX, but a bit less damp or lively.

Do you mean the Stormrider 95s shown below? I had a pair of these a few years back. They were damp and smooth but I wouldn't call them stiff at all. The tails were pretty solid but the tips were super soft (like Soul 7 soft).

I actually owned a pair of Kastle MX88s during the same time period and don't remember them being much less damp than the Stormriders. My recollection is that they both had a similar smooth snow feel, with the MX88s providing more energy and rebound. That flat square tail was like a slingshot out of turns. But the Stormriders did have a certain muted snowfeel that I haven't encountered in other skis.

The Monster 88 and 98 (at least the versions I skied) were stiffer than either the MX88 or the Stormriders, also super damp but not as energetic or as easy to bend into different turn shapes.

Brahmas are more versatile but a tier or two below any of the above in terms of dampness, IMO.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 1853
Size:  6.5 KB

I have pairs of monster 88’s and SR88’s. Both cheap. Let me know if interested.

Salomon x-drive 8.8 ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Salomon x-drive 8.8 ?

I have a pair of these in 184 If anyone is looking. They’re super powerful and quite damp, but not as fun as the Kastles. More of a narrow charger than a carver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Pm’ed you about the stormriders.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    PM'd last night. Super interested.

My SR95's I think are older than those Jongle. I tried some a few years ago with the silver top sheet and you are right, the tips were SUPER soft. Mine aren't stiff, but way stiffer than the last few years. They are definitely softer than Monster 98's by a fair amount. Just so smoooooth.

You are right about the square tail on the MX89's. They do give some finish to a turn. The MX's aren't soft, but definitely not super stiff either. Just the feedback or feel of the ski is not nearly as smooth as the Stormriders. The Monster 98's are also smoother than the Kastle's.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Praying for snow so I don't need to worry about this and can bring out my new Proto's!

Hey all!
    Just going to post a few thoughts on 184 M88 and 186 SR88 here.

184 MONSTER 88
    Of the 88s on the market, probably most like the OG legend pro that the Comish mentioned.
    21m radius is nice and round. Hooks up very nicely.
    Stiffer pattern, so it needs a skier to bend them.
    Very smooth ride, great at skiing fast on rough snow (like all monsters).
    Less tactile edge feel, so more like an SUV than a sports car.
    Not a lot of rebound out of the turn (neither good nor bad, just their flavor).
    Happy to smash bumps and spring snow.

186 SR 88
    Very nice carver.
    More tip rocker than I expected + relatively softer (maybe medium-ish overall) which is nice in that you can bend it into all kinds of turns.
    Super nice feel. You can tell exactly what type of snow you are on and how to pressure the edge no matter what.
    Less ideal pointing it and skiing off edge, but highly functional all mountain for a more precise/finesse skier.

Hope that helps.

Regarding the skis I have, both are drilled a few times and $100 flat or $175 with bindings. Comish has right of refusal on each.

This is the Stormrider generation I have, poached the pict from the Stockli thread:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stormrider 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	358854

I’ll get in line on Marshal’s SRs

Fwiw, I think you were looking for the mx88 not the mx89.

Augment AM88 is the ski the old MX88 wanted to be.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Following.....
    and hoping that I like my new MX89 as much as my MX98. I have been on either Stockli or Kastle carving skis since 2005. (a couple of pair of SS Stormriders and a couple of pair of MX98). I can't say that I preferred the Stormriders to the MX98. Both fantastic sticks. It's been a long time, but both skis do the same things well (i.e. charge down the fall line quickly with incredible stability). I think that for corduroy and inbounds steeps, I will always be a squaretail with metal man
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Fwiw, I think you were looking for the mx88 not the mx89.
    Interesting. Tell me more. What was the change to the 89's besides a mm?

I have a 186 Scot Schmidt Pro StormRider that would let go cheap.
    123-91-111
    Metal, damp.
    2 mounts, one is a Pivot that fits a 307mm.

Prefer my KastleMX98s

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Interesting. Tell me more. What was the change to the 89's besides a mm?
    I have not yet skied the newer versions (mx89 and mx99), but they're allegedly somewhat castrated versions of their predecessors, not necessarily in a bad way for the average buyer of these skis, but in a more accessible way.

The magic of that previous version is hard to quantify. I would agree that monster 88/98 is stiffer and apparently burlier, but in the same way that a 2x4 is stiffer than fishing pole. I've never wanted for dampness and chargeability in the mx98 and I only have the girly 184s.

Anyway, we need official maggot beta on the differences between the two generations. I won't pay for the damn things until they go on sale. Schindler, our nation turns its eyes to you.

Aluflex PasseMontagne are the skis you're looking for. But I guess very hard to find or even try in US.

yep, Marshal Olson was right. The Head Monster 88 184cm is perfect for this use. Tips are stronger than the Stockli with a lot more bite for the firm / chalky upper mtn or groomers. Very damp. Pretty stoked on these skis. Thanks mang!

I freakin loved my orange/red im 88 monsters....was that 2008? Stiffish but round flex, damp, great skis for Mammoth firm snow but they delammed. This thread got me thinking I’d like a new pair but 184 is the longest length? I’d prefer a few cm more for my 190 lbs.