Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Covid related travel insurance denials

Looking for anyone who had a bullshit denial of their claim from the spring...company I used just sent a form letter for my initial denial and on appeal said that I should have been able to go, in spite of mandated quarantine, since the quarantine order allowed you to get food/medical care (seriously, that's what they said). So these companies just denied everyone, as far as I can tell (I spoke with one travel group that confirmed there were 100% denials, regardless of merits of claims).

So anyone else get denied on their claim? I assume there are at least a few people here who would have been skiing last spring somewhere out of state/country and may have purchased travel insurance.
    [quote][//quote]

probably some bullshit deep in there about mediation too. Mother fuckers.

Hope you get your cash back.

No, they're just going to deny regardless of what the policies say and hope not too many people sue. If they had to pay out I think they'd all go bankrupt--not the underwriters, but the firms selling this shit. Regardless of reinsurance, etc.
    [quote][//quote]

better call saul...

Kinda related, but I'm definitely going to be eating shit on 400 bucks worth of Dead and Co tickets I bought through Stubhub. They gave me a credit good through the end of 21, but literally no one has opened up any shows yet. Customer service basically said fuck you to me.

I mean I kinda get it, the refund apocalypse would ruin most of these companies, and in turn a lot of the bands I want to see, but fuck, on the other hand this is some bullshit.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Kinda related, but I'm definitely going to be eating shit on 400 bucks worth of Dead and Co tickets I bought through Stubhub. They gave me a credit good through the end of 21, but literally no one has opened up any shows yet. Customer service basically said fuck you to me.

I mean I kinda get it, the refund apocalypse would ruin most of these companies, and in turn a lot of the bands I want to see, but fuck, on the other hand this is some bullshit.
    ask for an extension and try not to be an asshole in the process

shouldn't this have been in the travel during a pandemic thread?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That's weird that Stubhub wouldn't have recourse against the original issuer, say Ticketmaster or the like, for reimbursements.

When the restrictions set in TM gave me the option to get a full refund or hold for a rescheduled date with the default being that if the show isn't rescheduled by X then it automatically becomes a refund. I chose to take the refund for The Black Crowes because who knows exactly how long the Robinson brothers can stay together, and to keep my Stones tickets cause I figure if this doesn't kill them they'll be itching to get out and make some money in 2021.

We'll see.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

Somehow I'm pretty confident that Dead and Co. could see their way to survival.
    [quote][//quote]

is this the thread where I post a subtle brag about how the biggest impact the pandemic has had on me was the loss of a few hundred dollars worth of recreation expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    is this the thread where I post a subtle brag about how the biggest impact the pandemic has had on me was the loss of a few hundred dollars worth of recreation expenses?
    Well, if you want to go that route I guess you should start with real dollar figures (maybe that goes against the subtle part of the brag), but I'm actually just looking for others who want recourse. Subtle brag aspect didn't occur to me...
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Somehow I'm pretty confident that Dead and Co. could see their way to survival.
    No doubt. Apparently John Mayer was the highest paid musician in the world pre-Covid, which is kinda mind blowing when you realize guys like McCartney, Dylan and the Stones are still out doing their thing.

There are plenty of others though that are going to really struggle. Buddy of mine back east signed his first record contract on March 3rd 2020, and they dropped him within a month. Man talk about a tough break.
    Live Free or Die

Not surprised at the John Mayer figure actually, when you think about how multi-generational his audience is (I mean, sure, same is true of those other acts, but young people tend to buy more concert tickets and Mayer clearly has more of that market than the older acts). Mayer is so popular with so many demographics it just makes sense to me. And in all fairness, the guy is such a good musician/songwriter...

But anyway, people who were screwed on travel insurance?? Bueller?
    [quote][//quote]

I saw a piece on the news recently that said to contact your state's insurance board and file a compliant that they'll have to respond to.

Did they have "global pandemic" in their fine print?

Not sure, but they explicitly said they would cover in cases of quarantine. Which this was.
    Definitely possible pandemic was in the policy as well, but I need to go back and look.
    [quote][//quote]

Not sure, but they explicitly said they would cover in cases of quarantine. Which this was.
    Definitely possible pandemic was in the policy as well, but I need to go back and look.
    Yep - you need to check into that and then determine if it's worth your time to sue the ever-living shit out them.

We had a disney trip booked for last September.

Hotel = no issue (was using SPG/Marriott points)
    Disney = returned all advanced booking fees (dinners/princess events/etc)

Wife booked airfare on Jet Blue through Expedia. Travel insurance denied claim, because technically there was no hard travel ban at the time of cancellation and disney was still "open", so it was only "fear" keeping us from going.

Expedia (or JetBlue) then said we had airfare credit, but flight had to occur before YE 2020, which was absurd given travel bans then went in place. They have since switched to airfare credit that just needs to be booked by YE2021.

No, they're just going to deny regardless of what the policies say and hope not too many people sue. If they had to pay out I think they'd all go bankrupt--not the underwriters, but the firms selling this shit. Regardless of reinsurance, etc.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of insurance, where the goal is to deny claims as much as possible (insert insurance stooge explaining that insurers make their money on float, not denying claims).

Hopefully someone takes them on in a class action. If you were in MT I would have you send me the denial letter.

If Big Steve were still around and not out birdwatching, he'd have your money back and then some Dexter.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

In a class action though, it's only the dentists that take home the cheddar.

Sure you'll get your win, but 3 years later you'll be none the richer and you'll have already paid for, and seen, the bands twice.

Don't forget a check for $2.37, you could always parlay that into a possible megamillions win I guess.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    In a class action though, it's only the dentists that take home the cheddar.

Sure you'll get your win, but 3 years later you'll be none the richer and you'll have already paid for, and seen, the bands twice.
    Unlike suing Home Depot because a 4x4 measures 3.5x3.5, class actions against insurance companies often result in real money payouts to insureds who were fucked over.

Did not read all the responses. Just here to dick swing we were initially fucked big on a trip to Europe. Luckily, even through John Hancock trip insurance told us to suck teh cock we did receive airfare reimbursements and most of the hotels refunded us too. So maybe we ended up out about $4k. I chalked it up to that is life, deal with it. The fact of the matter is insurance companies like the GOP will always fuck you. I will never bother with trip insurance again.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Unlike suing Home Depot because a 4x4 measures 3.5x3.5, class actions against insurance companies often result in real money payouts to insureds who were fucked over.
    Good to know.

Different than product liability cases then?

(full disclosure, not a courtroom dentist)

I actually think the common "wisdom" about class actions like this is overblown. The Toyota rusty frame class action settled for up to $3.4 billion and the lawyers only got around $9 million.