Scarpa Gea RS/ Maestrale RS Walk Mode

My wife bought some Gea RSs (2018-2019 model) in a sale. The first time she used them she found that one of the boots kept jumping out of ski mode as she extended at the start of a turn. The latch was closed properly and the mechanism was not iced up.

Ekosport took the boots back and gave her a credit note, we're completely happy with that.

The Geas fit her, so it's tempting to just spend the credit note on a pair of 2020-2021 Geas. She's a bit sceptical about that though, as the latest model (I think) has the same walk mode mechanism as the 2018-2019 model.

Was she just unlucky? Or is this a problem that other people have experienced with Scarpa Gea RSs / Maestralle RSs?

She was skiing on a hard packed piste when it happened, so I think that may have been a factor. The boots will get used for European night tours where you descend a piste after eating dinner in a restaurant, so they will get used on hard pack again.

I also noticed that the ski mode relies on a spring in compression, as opposed to the current Atomic ski mode mechanism which uses a spring in extension. So maybe that is a factor too?

For any maggots reading - Yes she has great tits, no I won't be posting a picture.
    Last edited by Ocean; 01-19-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Next year's Gea and Maestrale get updated walk mode levers that shouldn't have this problem.

As for me I have the Maestrale RS and haven't had this problem when skiing hardpack