Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Troubleshooting Ski issues with the Lady

Hey all, looking to get some insight here..

My girlfriend got a touring setup this year and has been describing some goofy issues with the skis.

To preface: she's a solid blue/black skier at the resort and her resort skis are 169, Rocker/camber/Rocker skis that are 100 underfoot. She wanted a touring setup this year to go on some hut trips with me, ski mellow meadows, and just to get some exercise and harvest good turns. She's not a ripper but really enjoys it. Her current bc skis are some older Salomon QST 85s in a 167. I thought this would be a nice light/maneuverable ski for her.

The problem: She's describing the ski feels squirrely and unsupportive. She's not large, 5'5 130ish (?) and like a said, not a charger. I tried de-tuning the tips and tails, and giving the running edges a sharpen/some love.

Thoughts: Is she just not used to skiing the often janky snow you experience in the BC? (Dust over crust, heavy pow, etc) Her boots fit nice and tight and it's not a boot related issue to my understanding.

My thought is to find her a wider, well rockered ski to plane over the snow and easer her ride?

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    Is she just not used to skiing the often janky snow you experience in the BC? (Dust over crust, heavy pow, etc)
    Most likely. Have her spend a few days on groomers at the resort on the same setup to find out.

What kind of bindings are on her BC skis? Could it be a ramp angle issue?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

My GF is a similar size/weight. I think I woulda stuck with the 100mm underfoot ski. Makes skiing jank and dust a lot easier and a lot more fun. More work going uphill, but at 100mm it's probably not that much considering your target terrain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Most likely. Have her spend a few days on groomers at the resort on the same setup to find out.
    Have her skiing some ungroomed snow after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

How big are her breasts?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

. . . or she is reacting to being on a lighter and skinnier ski . . .

Wow, this was not at all what I thought this thread would be about.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Check the tune on the skis, sounds like they may be base high...
    Edited as I just read you sharpened the edges...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

That was my thought exactly, at least before we look for new skis. Ski some resort laps to pin point things some more. I will say, it's hard to really get a feel for a ski when you're doing human powered laps

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Edited as I just read you sharpened the edges...

What's the fix here? Base grind?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    My GF is a similar size/weight. I think I woulda stuck with the 100mm underfoot ski. Makes skiing jank and dust a lot easier and a lot more fun. More work going uphill, but at 100mm it's probably not that much considering your target terrain.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I agree. We pulled the trigger cuz the skis had dynafit radicals on em, and figured the bindings are the hard thing to come by (used) so we sent it and figured we could swap out skis if needed.

I agree, and I think a 100 waist is still super reasonable to tour on

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    What kind of bindings are on her BC skis? Could it be a ramp angle issue?
    Dynafit radicals. I believe the speed turn model (elevator height changed through rotating heel). Her toe piece is flat, there's no plastic rise underneath... would adding that be something to consider?

Dynafit radicals. I believe the speed turn model (elevator height changed through rotating heel). Her toe piece is flat, there's no plastic rise underneath... would adding that be something to consider?
    I have had to add a heel shim to bindings before. Need to find longer screws (and shim) but can use same holes.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post

This! The base flatness and edge bevel would be the first thing to check as a base high ski feels VERY unstable. Feels like skiing on marbles if it’s bad enough.

Tell the shop you think they might be base high and they will stone grind them flat then set the base bevel at 1 degree(if it’s higher than 1 degree now it will feel more surfy but will be also reset down with a stone grind).

Binding Ramp can also be another factor because if it’s much larger than her other set up, she may feel like she’s “in the backseat” and feel out of control.

Skiing 85mm underfoot skis in the super variable BC conditions we have this year in CO sounds god awful and a good way for you to find yourself looking for a new girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Skiing 85mm underfoot skis in the super variable BC conditions we have this year in CO sounds god awful and a good way for you to find yourself looking for a new girlfriend.
    I'm in MT. But yeah. For 300 we got skis tech bindings and skins so it was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    This! The base flatness and edge bevel would be the first thing to check as a base high ski feels VERY unstable. Feels like skiing on marbles if it’s bad enough.

Tell the shop you think they might be base high and they will stone grind them flat then set the base bevel at 1 degree(if it’s higher than 1 degree now it will feel more surfy but will be also reset down with a stone grind).

Binding Ramp can also be another factor because if it’s much larger than her other set up, she may feel like she’s “in the backseat” and feel out of control.
    Got it. In terms of ramp angle, meaning if her touring skis are more (toes much lower than heel) she'll feel this way?

Got it. In terms of ramp angle, meaning if her touring skis are more (toes much lower than heel) she'll feel this way?
    If anything, you'd want to be shimming the toes, not the heels. Sounds like she has Speed Turns (not radicals) based on the heel description -- which have a big delta where the heel sits up really high. Shimming the toes on mine made me ski much better since it put me in a more balanced position. B&D sells the shims (and I think the longer screws necessary -- if not Slidewright has them.)

And if the ski is base high -- a base grind is the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Ladies have it made. If your GF is skiing on a ski that's 170 cm or shorter, I wouldn't worry too much about getting her a "touring ski." most women's skis are pretty light to begin with, have less metal than their men ski counterparts at least. My wife tours on the QST 99s and brags about how light her set up is.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If anything, you'd want to be shimming the toes, not the heels. Sounds like she has Speed Turns (not radicals) based on the heel description -- which have a big delta where the heel sits up really high. Shimming the toes on mine made me ski much better since it put me in a more balanced position. B&D sells the shims (and I think the longer screws necessary -- if not Slidewright has them.)
    And if the ski is base high -- a base grind is the solution.
    I assumed, yeah, shim the toes up to flatten them out. Thanks

I'm in MT. But yeah. For 300 we got skis tech bindings and skins so it was worth it
    Ah, my bad, not sure why I was thinking CO since you didn't say that in your post.
    And agree that will be a good deal on the tech bindings once you sell the skis and skins and buy something more reasonable for midwinter skiing.

Correct. Too much(heel too high) or too little forward lean from the different boot/binding combos may this.

Can try this test when she’s in her boots on flat ground and then re-test when she steps into the bindings on the two different skis. Then you’ll see the difference the touring boots or touring boot/bindings combined make. Might be able to adjust forward lean on the boot or shim the touring binding to compensate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BF2A7CD-ACBB-40AD-B2B6-577C06297786.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	454.8 KB 
ID:	358669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	654F142C-E14B-4DB4-A903-AD1E74AC0900.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	358671

People have different levels of adaptability to ramp angle - the Speed Turn is 16mm, which is on the high side especially if she's got a small boot. Most people would prefer their touring stance to be the same or similar to their alpine stance, which is flatter. In general, most people walk better in flats than heels, and the same is true of skiing.

People have different levels of adaptability to ramp angle - the Speed Turn is 16mm, which is on the high side especially if she's got a small boot. Most people would prefer their touring stance to be the same or similar to their alpine stance, which is flatter. In general, most people walk better in flats than heels, and the same is true of skiing.
    Agreed, my touring boots had a steeper angle lean and it made me feel like I was a terrible skier in the BC, once I adjusted that I felt a lot better.