Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2021 Tennis Thread

New year, same old bullshit.

How about noted spaz Kyrgios calling out prominent anti-vaxxer and increasingly awkward star Djokovic as "a tool" for demanding Australia lower its mandatory quarantine requirements for him and the other 1,500 people descending upon Melbourne for the AO.

Bonus points for the mention that Tomic's girlfriend finds the quarantine borderline barbaric since she couldn't bring her hairstylist.

Lets go 2021!

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...uild-continues
    I still call it The Jake.

Good first rounder going on on the Margaret Court court. Sinner and Shapo playing at a high level
    Go Shapo!
    God damn I'm tired.

Don't want to catch Rona from your balls so no 2021 tennis, thx.
    [quote][//quote]

I don’t think it works like that.

And we’re underway with 50% capacity. Hope that’s a sign of more normal times ahead.

If I had the Rona you could get it from my balls, I bet.

I think by Wimbledon there may be enough people vaxed for it to be close to normal, hopefully with grown-ups back in charge over here US Open could be similar.

Will check back in this thread for Cliffs Notes at some point as I haven't really followed tennis closely for years. Maybe crazy Novak will provide more reason to watch.
    [quote][//quote]

Great match. Finally I can sleep.

Ooof, you stayed up for the entire Shapo match? That's a tough way to open two weeks of tennis (for both of you guys).

Kind of a wide-open draw it seems this year for obvious reasons, but I can't honestly call anyone a lock to make the final, even Novak and Rafa (although I'm hoping for one more banger of a year for Nadal and then go give those poor knees a rest on that boat of his and call it a career).

Just adding, just in case you were not following closely, that the MT team won the ALTA citi champs in November. So if you played B-8 you can just suck it. Mixed team is on the bubble for the playoffs currently but not likely to make it. And stezzus h christ Bmills parking at sharon lester is a clusterfuck. HATE going south.

To the topic thought Powell / US looked good. Christ our men are just horrid; would like to see Shapo make a run. Guy is just oozing talent.
    "Can't you see..."

Congratulations MT!

Now that things seem to be settling down I think it’s high time I got serious about getting my game back in shape and joining ALTA.

What do you mean the US men aren’t in good shape? We still have Donald Young, right?

^ we've been doing the RR at PD some these past months.
    "Can't you see..."

Nice. I did drills every morning when I was there for the holidays to kickstart things. Felt great to get back at it. Great time of year to be out and hitting too.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Ooof, you stayed up for the entire Shapo match? That's a tough way to open two weeks of tennis (for both of you guys).

Kind of a wide-open draw it seems this year for obvious reasons, but I can't honestly call anyone a lock to make the final, even Novak and Rafa (although I'm hoping for one more banger of a year for Nadal and then go give those poor knees a rest on that boat of his and call it a career).
    Yeah, wife was more amused than pissed. So that's good. Didn't see Rafa play at the ATP tourney last week but Djoko looked ok, not invincible. Agree it's a wide open men's draw.

Speaking of the ATP tourney, I sure liked the team format and getting to see my country's best vs another country's best in a veritable feast of tennis for a number of hours. Playing the doubles as the tie breaker was also cool (chosing your players up to the last minute), along with the scoring changes when tied at 40 all (one more sudden death point). That's how we speed things up at my buddy's court when we have more than 4 people show up to play.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Nice. I did drills every morning
    for drills parcial to Adv. adult vandermer SY though the 8:00AM start is a stiff price tag. Like these because they will do them indoor if raining. which has been happening a lot. Cheers MT
    "Can't you see..."

^^^
    That's such a great facility and that indoor option is really nice to have.

What I think I'd really benefit from is joining a racquet club more akin to what I grew up with if anything to have a home base and develop a rapport with a pro and coaching staff, then dip my toes into ALTA after a round or so of intraclub play.

That said I'm not sure that model really exists here in town. It's either ALTA or country club; Bitsy Grant is so close to me but lacks the convenient racquet club aspect and I'm really not in the mood to go throwing money away to be with a bunch of assholes somewhere like Cherokee TC. I could be wrong, so please feel free to shoot me ideas (happy to take it offline via PM if you'd like).

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Just adding, just in case you were not following closely, that the MT team won the ALTA citi champs in November. So if you played B-8 you can just suck it. Mixed team is on the bubble for the playoffs currently but not likely to make it. And stezzus h christ Bmills parking at sharon lester is a clusterfuck. HATE going south.

To the topic thought Powell / US looked good. Christ our men are just horrid; would like to see Shapo make a run. Guy is just oozing talent.
    Oh, I been following MT! I'm going to miss playing in a city with indoor courts and tourneys and stuff. Sadly can't even keep the hand/eye/racquet skills sharp by playing squash up here because Covid..

What's ALTA? B8?
    Yeah, US men's talent looking a bit anemic these days. Not saying this to provoke, just my uninformed observations. Canuckistanian tennis talent had never been deeper. The Aussie open will be interesting to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    What's ALTA? B8?
    Basically an excuse for a bunch of worthless old men to drink the point of brain damage starting at 9 on a saturday under the guise of playing tennis.

actually kinda fun, Atlanta is basically 8 million folks spread over 75 miles plus of 200-2,000 home developments that each have a pool and tennis courts in a common area. So the Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association got wise in the late 60s to this trend and started organizing neighborhood tennis teams and leagues. Today about 80k folks play Mens/Womens/mixed on a year-around basis. Leagues are divided into Levels and flights. Levels range from AA--1 to C-8, about 25-30 levels in a given season. AA-1 equates to small college / USTA 5.5, C-8 you basically stand there, actually making contact with the ball optional. each level has 64 teams divided into 8 8-team flights. So you play 7 weeks of regular season, with a match being 5 lines of doubles (NO singles). each line is a point. Top two teams from each flight, scored on an absolute point basis, go to a 16-team playoff bracket "win or go home." Honestly, line 1 B-8 = USTA 4.0+; line 5 B-8 = 3.0-
    "Can't you see..."

Tough loss Stan.

To come back all that way, match point, then poof.

I have mixed feelings about Nutty Nick, but this match looks interesting.

Spoiler Alert: Article has match results.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...an-open-tennis

Not sure about access from outside, but here in the US you should be able to get a pretty complete list of live and archived AO matches using link below (free access on PC, seems to require account login on mobile devices).

Tennis on ESPN3
    Last edited by fomofo; 02-10-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Thiem so classy. Killer backhand up the line to win.

Does anyone have video of the crazy lady yelling and giving Rafa the finger the other night?

Rafa was a total class act about it all, just laughed at the lunatic. Chair ump was pretty fun about it all too.

Damn Russians! Nice work from the qualifier to beat our Canadian in 5 sets. Not the greatest match, but the Russian had game once he figured out Felix's game. First serve rate below 60% isn't going to win you matches kid.

All we have is Milos now. Djoko sounds hurt, could be another easy one for our last hope in this tourney.

Oh yeah just a quick aside to bitch about colour commenting a couple of days ago. I heard Hungary referred to as Hungaria. Which is not that bad compared to a couple of Aussie commentators agreeing that Canada's national bird is the Canuck. Sooo easily triggered these days.

Djoko not looking too injured at this point...go Milos!

Pagula gutted out a good win, fun to watch.

More importantly, as predicted, the MT team underperformed. We are distant 2nd but are at the mercy of the Sharen lester-bitsy match. if SL takes 4 or 5 lines we're toast. 3 or less we go to the dance. The problem is both SL/Bitsey teams are these giggly early 20--year-olds who don't give-a-fuck, Be lucky if they report by the deadline. I'll say it again. Youth is wasted on the young.
    "Can't you see..."

Ha.. good luck MT. Nice to see a qualifyer in the semis. The Russian has now made more money in this tourney, than he has in his career as a pro (6 or 7 years at least). First assie open qualifyer since Goran I about 20 years ago.
    More importantly what, 4 Russians still alive in Melbourne? Since Biden became President... Coincidence? I think not.

Though Dimitrov's injury gifted him this quarter final match, he earned his win against Felix AA. And, looking at stats before the FAA round of 16 match he hadn't lost a set and I recall his second round match was 6-1 6-0 6-1 or something equally lopsided. Blowouts that bad don't happen often. The Russians were calling him their secret weapon at the ATP tourney prior to the Aussie open. Great run for a journeyman. His rankings going from mid 100's to mid 40's. Crazy.

Pulling for Medvedev in that tourney, just to balance Ms. MT's obsession with Nadal. Djokovic impressive, but he's just so...Djokovic.

More importantly, ALTA tennis, We got in, barely. Gonna get smoked in the first round Sat with 1/2 the team sitting out including several strong starters (pussys!). Good season for the 'hood as 3 of 4 teams made the dance at their level. The hood team count is impressive, as we are about 190 households, four courts, each team at least 25 so that's 100 ACTIVE players. In the dead of winter.
    "Can't you see..."