Wanted: 29er SS frame

My Haro Mary cracked. Looking around to see if I can find something to which I can swap all the parts, so -

Anyone have an older SS frame they want to unload? Must be 29er, 135 QR rear, disc brake compatible, size large ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I dont have anything extra, but 29 SS is such a fun / simple bike

I used to ride the Haro a lot, for the first couple of years I had it. Bought in 2008, fully rigid. Went to a carbon rigid fork a few years later, then to a suspension fork a few years after that. The only original parts left on the bike are the eccentric BB shell, the cranks, and the seatpost collar.

It became an occasional use bike, one I'd take camping or for shorter rides from the house, often with the dog. It's also my winter slop bike, with clip on fenders.

It has ridiculous geometry. Something like 72* HTA and STA stock, before the 100mm fork slacked it out a degree or so. It makes easy trails challenging. It's springy and fun.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I recently cracked an older frame too. Considered a Milwaukie cyclery grit frame. Ben's cyclery has a few at $500. No idea how they are but with limited bikes/frames/parts out there it might be something to check out.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

It has ridiculous geometry. Something like 72* HTA and STA stock, before the 100mm fork slacked it out a degree or so. It makes easy trails challenging. It's springy and fun.
    This resonated with me... my only mtb is a 10 yr old custom IF Ti Deluxe ss. I've had friends mock the HTA. I love the bike dearly, ride and race it a lot. Starting to get nervous about fork options though with the 1.125 HT. Good luck with your search, I'll keep my eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by pollydog View Post
    I recently cracked an older frame too. Considered a Milwaukie cyclery grit frame. Ben's cyclery has a few at $500. No idea how they are but with limited bikes/frames/parts out there it might be something to check out.
    I saw those -- thanks. Geometry on them is old school too, so I'm reluctant to pay $500 for that. (I could buy a Kona Honzo ST frame for $500, but then none of my archaic SS parts would really be suitable.)

My Haro has a 100mm RockShox Recon Gold, 1 1/8" steerer, disc, Q/R dropouts. This weird version of the fork is basically a Reba (alloy steerer and stanchions) with a TurnKey damper. Performance Bike sold these before they went under. Bike also has Easton XC One SS wheels, Q/R only, stupidly narrow rims, but nice and light. So, basically, I'm looking to try to use old but good condition parts and put them onto a new frame.

I'm half considering buying this cheap Bikesdirect SS, stripping off all the parts and selling them on Craigslist, and rebuilding with my nicer parts. I have an email in to Bikesdirect to ask about how the rear wheel is tensioned on this SS -- I can't see tugnuts on the rear dropouts, so it might require a nutted axle, and I can't use my wheels. The geometry is at least not scary twitchy -- 67.5/ 73.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

Parts compatibillity aside, I can vouch for the Honzo ST as an absolutely ripping SS machine provided you value fun over light weight.

Are you on the XL size of large? I have a Big Unit frame at the shop. I’ll double check the size when I get there this morning. It might be a 19”? Would be cheeeeeeap. Like case of beer cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Are you on the XL size of large? I have a Big Unit frame at the shop. I’ll double check the size when I get there this morning. It might be a 19”? Would be cheeeeeeap. Like case of beer cheap.

I'm usually right in the middle of the range for a large frame - 6'0", 33.75" cycling inseam. But if that's an older frame (shorter reach), then that might work. 19" frame is usually a large, isn't it?

Thanks!

Doing some googling... if that's an older Big Unit (135 dropout), that could be perfect. Looks like the frame changed sometime like 2016, getting slacker and longer - not sure if that requires a longer fork than the 100mm one I have on my Haro SS. Gonna Google more.

damn: If El C doesn't want that, I have a buddy (ex-patrol/PTSD) that I can build it up for.

Wanted: 29er SS frame

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611345486.038829.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	359156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611345509.058434.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	359157

Looks to be 20”. Scandium. Fun machine.

Sorry, MtnLion, I’m not gonna ship to Canada.

I think that'll work nicely! Sending a PM shortly -

Google tells me that is a 2009, which I think is a straight 1 1/8" steerer, and definitely with 135 QR dropout.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/kona/big-unit-29er--2009

NICE: that bike frame should get used!

I had a 2009 era Kona Unit that I rode for years and loved. I sold it to a guy back in maybe 2012.

I bumped into him at a MTB festival, probably 4 or 5 beers deep for each of us. He started telling me how the chain stay had snapped and he had to re-weld it only a month or two after he bought the bike from me. I started to apologize and he started to laugh and said he loved the bike so much that he wasn't worried about the welding work at all.

Anyhow, that bike was super fun. It's nice to know others appreciate it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm still googling and trying to find geometry on the 2009 - I found 2010, and it's similar to my broken Haro with steep angles:

http://2010.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=bigunit

I'm messaging with joetron and we'll sort it out. I really appreciate him offering up this frame.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    that Kona Scandium is a great frame material... I had a Major One ss cx for years, really enjoyed the frame feel.

Bump, in case my PMs to joetron aren't getting through, or he just hasn't noticed his inbox messages.

I moved too slow on joetron's frame, and it's gone now.
    So, back to shopping, and bump - anyone have anything laying around?