Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk to me about heated gloves/mittens

I’m tired of cold hands. I have raynauds, which complicates things maybe. If I’m moving and active I don’t have problems.... but find myself with cold fingers that makes for uncomfortable and occasionally dangerous situations for my poor little fingies, particularly on patrol shifts and situations where going in to warm up isn’t really optional (say, a powder day).

I’ve been looking at the options from outdoor research, black diamond, hestra....

Who has used these? Has anybody compared them? Any other brands I should be looking at?

My size isn’t available in the OR version of mitts, but would the capstone glove obviate the need for mittens vs gloves? (I always go mittens because cold hands, but I’d prefer to be able to wear gloves.)

Other thoughts?
    focus.

What size do you wear? I have some medium size Chaval heated gloves that are really good, but I never use them. I’d be glad to pass them on to you for your donation to a local animal shelter. They review well.

Probably a medium? I wear a size 9 Hestra. Definitely interested if you think the sizes line up.
    focus.

Tell ya what, you donate $50 to a shelter and I’ll send ‘em to you and you can figure out if they fit. I wear an 8 in Hestras and these are roomy on me. It’s worth a try, you can pass them on if it doesn’t work.

I'm interested in this also. The OP should jump on the offer from MS if a medium fits. Those are some spendy gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Tell ya what, you donate $50 to a shelter and I’ll send ‘em to you and you can figure out if they fit. I wear an 8 in Hestras and these are roomy on me. It’s worth a try, you can pass them on if it doesn’t work.
    Awesome! Pm coming at ya!
    focus.

My ski bud has the Hestra’s and loves them. He’s a five day a week skier in Aspen. It’s not really that cold here.

I buy the Little Hottie chemical hand warmers by the case. Because I can use them in different gloves and give them away.
    If it’s really cold, I use two in each glove.

I use the toe warmers cuz they stick where I want them, I peel the backing and put the wamrer on the top of the back of my hand, hold it there with fingers as i shove the warmer in the glove far as I can, stick the warmer down to the inside to and I got warm hands for the day and it doesnt fall out on the snow

also good for sticking on I-phones or radio's

30 yars of fixing broken electrical shit has me wary of any thing with wire ... remember the 3 T rule
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i currently have three pairs in my rotation: OR, BD, and Hestra. The OR model is the Firebrand lobster claw mitt issued to government contractors that I picked up on eBay for something cheap. They are two part with a Gore-Tex liner and Primaloft insulated mitt. The BDs are the Work Gloves. Full leather, fleece-lined. Not sure of the Hestra model name but they are basic leather palm gauntlet-style gloves. Come with a separate fleece liner.

As far as warmth goes, the OR mitts are far and away the warmest. Granted, they are the largest of the three by volume of insulation but also the lightest. The only option that is truly waterproof. I have large hands and am always either an XL or XXL so I went with the XL for these are OR runs historically large IME. They are roomy for sure. My hands don't swim in them but I do have enough space to squeeze the BD gloves in under both the insulation and shell layers so I have the dexterity of gloves if need be. The mitts themselves are dexterous enough as is though and feature some sort of grip material that is super rugged and holding strong after lots of use.

Basically, I recommend you check these out. BD and Hestra each mach a great glove but their warmth is limited, especially if you have Raynauds. The Gore-Tex traps heat and cuts wind and keeps your phalanges dry no matter what. Looks like they can still be had pretty cheap on eBay.
    swing your fucking sword.

I have the black Diamond one and it works well. Low to medium setting works well and stays warm. Dexterity is decent enough and on really cold days I Also found some some black Diamond Everest mittens that help

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Been thinking about this lately too, This is all great info. Since there’s no going in the lodge this year to boot up, by the time I gear up in the parking lot, walk to the lift, wait in line, sit on the lift, my fingers are usually numb for the first 2 runs, sometimes it hurts/tingles until I get the warmth back. Kinda freaks me out sometimes. I think I’ll order a pair

I purchased Free the Powder's SX Pro Mitten. Not heated but super warm at a fraction of the cost. Highly recommended.

Heads up the heated gloves are a bad idea if you are touring as they have been reported to interfere with beacons.

OR Capstone with 2 battery packs per glove. Third season, very satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Heads up the heated gloves are a bad idea if you are touring as they have been reported to interfere with beacons.
    I came here to say the same thing. Especially if you are patrolling, practice turning them off in a rescue scenario to get that action wired into your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Holy shit $500

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    I’ve got these as well purchased with a F and F code (thanks for that!). The wife has hestras purchased over the summer for -60% at jans in PC.

Def a summer time buy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    I came here to say the same thing. Especially if you are patrolling, practice turning them off in a rescue scenario to get that action wired into your response.
    x3 - I won't tour with anyone who uses them in the backcountry and it's now been added to the "do you have your beacon, shovel, probe" morning question. Great idea for the resorts tho!

I grabbed these when they went on sale for 175cad.

https://fortnine.ca/en/fly-ignitor-p...E#76=21&493=10

Originally for my moto commute in the shoulder season. But I have been wearing them on the hill when coaching. I also use them if I have a long sled ride. I am convinced

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Holy shit $500

shit like this you gotta buy in the summer. I think I paid $275

Mustonen, if the gloves MS sends you don't work for you, I will donate to a shelter to give them a shot.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Mustonen, if the gloves MS sends you don't work for you, I will donate to a shelter to give them a shot.
    Ah, the memories.
    Heated gloves? Does the pinky lift automatically when you pick up a cup of tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    Haha.... well, I’m patrolling in Michigan. But noted and good to be aware of.
    focus.

You got it dude
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Ah, the memories.
    Damn it!!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy