Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Good news for all you Yoga deniers, there is no yoga right now due to Covid restrictions
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the secret to youth and longevity lies with in all of us ^^ also learn the double D spin
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-19-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Just to be clear i do Yoga but I don't wear yoga pants

I don't know where you guys been looking but IME there is lots of fine looking yoga pants on > 45 yr old wimmen

I have to ask if you guys have been looking in the P-lot at walmart ?
    I believe that so far all the over 45's in this thread are men. So yeah, no yoga pants over 45. Or under 45 for that matter.
    I actually did yoga briefly when I was in HS, in the 60's. Wasn't quite the thing then it is now. No classes, I did it out of a book. Some real lookers in the book though--120 year old 120 pound Indian men with beards down to their navels wearing diapers. I think the trauma put me off yoga for good.

Yoga workouts have been some of the hardest ones I've ever had.

Those who claim it's "just stretching" have never been tortured by a hot 20-something masochistic yoga instructor chick bent on watching you collapse in a sweaty quivering heap from the 37th consecutive insane plank pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yoga workouts have been some of the hardest ones I've ever had.

Those who claim it's "just stretching" have never been tortured by a hot 20-something masochistic yoga instructor chick bent on watching you collapse in a sweaty quivering heap from the 37th consecutive insane plank pose.
    It’s true, but nothing feels better the next day than a cathartic hot power yoga session.

in yoga pants. Now i wear them all day! Every day!
    i actually enjoyed the salomon film. But the japanese are freaks. There is this guy who had never bouldered before, started at 37 and bouldered 8C /V15 at 42. that is impossible!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

drunk, naked coed twister is the answer!

yeah the freeski TV guys came on after something else and it seemed aproppo to the thread altho the double D is well above my pay grade

the yogini tells me that holly wood yoga can be so hard you don't get chance to relax which is whole point of it

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Testosterone, free testosterone, SHBG, estradiol trends remain encouraging. Not smoking weed and avoiding alcohol is fundamental for endocrine preservation, also sleep, vitamin D, and other minutiae.
    On the weed thing, the current evidence seems to indicate that THC does not negatively impact testosterone production:
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...45-020-03110-5
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5660879/

Also, I would definitely not place sleep down in the "other minutiae" category. In Matthew Walker's book he calls sleep the single most critically important lifestyle factor affecting our health, that it's the foundation upon which all other healthy habits rest on. I can't recommend his book Why We Sleep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    you guys are scaring the fuck out of me. getting old sounds terrible.
    Nah man, it's way worse than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Also, I would definitely not place sleep down in the "other minutiae" category. In Matthew Walker's book he calls sleep the single most critically important lifestyle factor affecting our health, that it's the foundation upon which all other healthy habits rest on. I can't recommend his book Why We Sleep enough.
    so can you just tell me how much sleep i need then?
    i do agree that sleep/rest is pretty high on the list. i'm sure a lot of it is individually based. may have to check it out.

well gosh Tarzan always slept when he was tired & ate when he was hungry

7-9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    On the weed thing, the current evidence seems to indicate that THC does not negatively impact testosterone production:
    https://link.springer.com/article/10...45-020-03110-5
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5660879/

But THC does impact sleep, correct?

So much of it has been said.

a little over 40, three separate ortho issues this year, and now I'm putting on some weight that'll likely help cause the next one.

ACL rehab is going to be fun!
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

You are now just a mobile incubator for a piece of tendon trying to become an ACL !

Ski Hard.

Don't Fall.

Be Home for Dinner with the Family.

Everything else is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    so can you just tell me how much sleep i need then?
    i do agree that sleep/rest is pretty high on the list. i'm sure a lot of it is individually based. may have to check it out.
    Minimum 7 hours, 8-9+ is better. There are some people that have a genetic mutation that allows them to get as little as 6 hours without deleterious effects, but you are more likely to be hit by lightning in your lifetime than to have that gene variant.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    But THC does impact sleep, correct?
    He devotes an entire chapter to the negative impacts of alcohol and sedatives (pretty much calls Ambien evil and alcohol not much better) but never mentions THC once. The book came out in 2018 well after a bunch of states had legalized so I would think he would have mentioned it if it was in the same league.

The other reading I've done on the subject isn't very conclusive either way. There seems to be a dearth of robust scientific studies on the subject, i.e. large, randomized, placebo-controlled studies where sleep was the primary study outcome and sleep quality was objectively measured. I suppose this is not all that surprising given the difficulties associated with studying Schedule I drugs.

However, there does seem to be some general consensus--THC reduces sleep latency and increases deep-stage slow wave non-REM sleep, but does reduce REM sleep. All of these effects are consistent enough to be statistically significant but are not that large in absolute terms. As we age the stage of sleep we lose the most is the deep-stage non-REM sleep, so maybe that's actually a net-positive tradeoff for the over-40 crowd. Also, while REM sleep occurs throughout the night we do much more of it in the second half of the night when you've already metabolized a lot of the THC. There is a consistent rebound insomnia effect in heavy users but not light and moderate users.

So, for now I'd say weed's overall effect on sleep is net-neutral, though I would avoid taking more than a couple tokes close to bed time.

eta: For you personally, ZZZ, I'd probably be more concerned about pulling espresso shots late in the day. Caffeine after 2-3 pm is definitely not good.

The problem with sleep as you age is that it gets harder and harder to lie comfortably in one position for long periods of time. Things start to hurt, things start to go numb. And then there's the prostate. A lot of older people interpret not being able to sleep all night as not needing the sleep, when in fact it's the discomfort waking them up, not the fact that they're rested. When you get to the point that you can't get your 7+ hours it's important to nap if you can. I've been napping since my early 20's. I had a couch in my office. I read somewhere that in centuries past people were sometimes up in the middle of the night. One of the joys of retirement is being able to catch up on sleep if I don't get enough at night.

THC reduces sleep latency and increases deep-stage slow wave non-REM sleep, but does reduce REM sleep.
    Non-scientific but, if I stop with THC I have a very hard time relaxing and falling asleep for about 10-14 days. Busy mind and toss & turn.

When I get past that I begin to dream vividly. When I am on the THC I dream but cannot remember the dreams for the life of me.

@ OG, naps are a great part of getting older.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Bunion--that's rebound insomnia. Tapering off will minimize the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I read somewhere that in centuries past people were sometimes up in the middle of the night.
    Used to be a normal part of life. Before electricity, it would get dark at 5pm, you'd go to sleep at 6pm, wake up to tend the fire and and have a snack at midnight or so, and then go back to bed. It was expensive to keep a fire hot for hours upon hours, so folks just ended up under the blankets once it got dark, which during the winter was early. Wake up in the middle of the night to eat/drink/piss/fuck/throw more wood on the fire and then go back to bed until dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Used to be a normal part of life. Before electricity, it would get dark at 5pm, you'd go to sleep at 6pm, wake up to tend the fire and and have a snack at midnight or so, and then go back to bed. It was expensive to keep a fire hot for hours upon hours, so folks just ended up under the blankets once it got dark, which during the winter was early. Wake up in the middle of the night to eat/drink/piss/fuck/throw more wood on the fire and then go back to bed until dawn.
    Walker discusses this in the book. It was a thing in, IIRC, Renaissance through Victorian era Europe (and maybe early colonial America, I don't remember) but has not been documented anywhere else. It seems to a cultural thing specific to that place and time and not an intrinsic part of the human sleep cycle.

Yeah, that sounds right, though i thought it was earlier than that- like middle ages type of thing? IDK. I think the distinction between dinner and supper is related. dinner was pre-sleep, and then supper was the mid-night meal.

IDK, im just hoping im rich enough when im old that i can just sleep weightless in a giant vat of 98.7 degree saline solution with an oxygen mask on like the recovering heros do in movies about the future.