Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Power of positive thinking: It's OK to go fast if you aren't going to fall.

Dial it back until you stop falling, then figure it out. You're not going to fall, are you?
    This sums it up, bike or ski. I can’t and don’t want to deal with the fall and aftermath anymore. I was never a great skier and I fell frequently and sometimes hard. I beat my body up. I was pretty lucky to never really fuck myself up on the bike. I look back and things I used to do would really wreck me now. I’m almost 53 and I’m okay with slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Looking back, I feel like peak ski shape for me was around 37-38. Sorry for the bad news.
    I'm fully prepared for things to go downhill in hurry after 40, though I do take really good care of myself. I'm kind of over riding lifts anyways since it's become such a junkshow here. At this point I only continue to buy passes so I can ski with my kid.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    you guys are scaring the fuck out of me. getting old sounds terrible.
    There's not much that's good about it. You're young, the better you take care of yourself now the better off you'll be. And if David Sinclair is right getting old for you may mean something entirely different than it has in the past.

oddly what's worked for me is walking... everyday... for at least 3 to 5 miles, depending on how much time I have. i also stretch and do functional strength and movement training a couple of times a week but all of this feels much better when I walk.

oh... and keeping weight off. that is HUGE in keeping back and joint pain to a minimum.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

The alternative is worse.

Keep a yoga mat and foam roller, and lax ball on the floor in your living room, even in front of the tv.

Spend some leisure time on that mat. Work on mobility stuff. 10 minute easy routines to keep your shit looser. I do it for 30 min before bed or in front of the TV while watching with my wife. She calls me Stretch . Sometimes our LR looks like a physical therapy office.

I find my body (43) feels worse if I'm not keeping it moving. It feels better when I am somehow working on it.

Alot to say about hot and freezing cold showers and inversion tables can also be therapeutic.

And dial it back on the bike.

Don't ever give up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I was much more fearless (well not DTM fearless doing front flips) until I was about 58 and fell off of a 25' cliff while skiing alone and injured my hip/back. At 42, I blew out my knee playing basketball and missed the snow that year. However, other than the arthritis, I don't think much about that. While, my back frequently hurts and I have slowed down a lot during the past 2-3 years people tell me that I still ski "like a 25 year old". That makes me happy, and is probably why people say it. Who knows how long that will last, but when I am not skiing alone, I rarely ski with anyone my age. Peer companionship is overrated. I hope that I am still skiing everything when I am 70-75.
    I have just about given up on mountain biking, and currently gravitate more towards kayak/paddle board. Also, I hike and stretch a lot, and lift weights and do some push-ups a few times/week. I gave up on running after HS
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

OP describes some real symptoms. Dial her back man. Small decreases in guhnar offer exponential body preservation benefits.

My limb preservation surgeon and I laugh about how with each passing year more things chronically hurt.
    Sigh. My limb preservation surgeon. At least he's older than me.

I used to just go 100% every single time. Every single 10k had to be faster, every lift had to be bigger, every tour had to be longer and faster. and I got so wrecked that it went to 0% for more than a few stretches.

So now I go for an easy run, a nice conversational tour, a smooth ride. And I'm so happy. We still go plenty fast ad do some stupid crap, it's just muted. Kinnik has the right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    I’ll catch shit for this, but I telemark. Cause I can have a ton of fun, work really hard and i can’t go fast. MTB is a Karate Monkey with a rigid fork. It is the funnest bike I’ve ever riden. But it is soooo slow. My body feels so much better since installing governor switches.
    Point taken, but I went the other way .. tele'd for years and recently 'fixed the problem' .. no more tele splats! Given the variable snow I ski, this changed the game.

MTB I'm on a single speed rigid, so slow is where I live too. Like Danno I'll hike-a-bike before I wreck myself.
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    His best kids are 215 and heavyweight, so he's gotta take a beating.
    I coached one heavyweight who probably took a few years of my life with the pounding he dished out. His hands were like anvils. He won a couple matches at States as a Junior. Then he showed up at school one day covered in some fucked up bruises. His drunk dad had beaten him with a pool cue. His half-wit step mom didn't give a fuck about him. I found a him a lawyer, went with him to be interviewed by an assistant DA, and a bunch of other family court appointments. He had no other family in the US. His family in the D.R. wouldn't talk to him because reporting his dad fucked up his dad's immigration status. He went into foster care which was better for a while.

Then he got robbed by another kid in foster care and got arrested after he beat the snot out of the kid trying to get his money back. Charges were dropped, but he started boozing, stopped working out and got fat. He got in a fight outside the school. A kid hit him with a brick. He bloodied the kid's face. He was suspended for a month. The other kids got a week. I think that was the event that broke him. That's when he stopped trusting everyone. I should have advocated for him more at that point. The principal decided he was too dangerous. I should have told her he'd be more dangerous if we didn't take care of him the way he deserved. Nobody else was taking care of him. We were all he had and we cast him out.

He started lying to me about little things. I mostly ignored it. That was my second big mistake, I think. He had a mediocre wrestling season senior year, but we still found a community college coach who wanted him. Tuition, room and board would be free. But the next fall the coach called me to say the kid never showed up at college. I called the kid and he told me college was going great. I told him what the coach had told me and we set up a time to meet, but he didn't show up.

I learned from one of his friends that he had knocked up a 35 year old woman. They were living together and he was selling weed to pay the bills. I talked to him a couple more times and he'd just tell me how good his life was. Right after I moved to CO an old colleague sent me link to a local news item. The kid had been arrested for armed robbery. Mugshot on the page looked nothing like the kid I first met. He got caught holding up a gas station somewhere Upstate. As far as I know he's in prison now.

I definitely underestimated how much he was suffering, how close he was to going over the edge. I convinced myself he was ok, when I knew on some level that he wasn't. The biggest regret of my life is not doing more to help him. I've known plenty of kids who went through some serious shit, but nobody who got screwed over as consistently as this guy (this post leaves out many, many details). I was in a better position to help him than anyone, and I failed. I hope he gets a second chance at a decent life someday.

To get back on topic, I am now anti-foam rolling. It seems to causes more problem than it solves for me. I only use it on my upper back. Dry needling, on the other hand, is magical (and painful).

I'm a little younger than OP, but I feel his pain, so to speak.

I try to approach both skiing and biking with knowledge that the older I get, the more experience I have in both of those activities, but the more I pay for mistakes. I'm probably more capable than ever of sizing up a jump or judging a drop, which also means I'm also more capable than ever of knowing whether I've got something, or whether I'm gonna get bucked and tossed. So I wouldn't say I'm necessarily backing down from bigger hits in the general sense, but I'm more calculated and more willing to back away from something if I don't feel like it's good to go for whatever reason. I'm also increasingly less likely to be fully pinned on conditions I'm uncertain of (namely, biking on trails that I don't know well). Which doesn't mean I'm shying away from techier trails, but it means I'm more inclined to take a lap or two before I dial up the pace.

That doesn't mean that shit doesn't still occasionally go awry, but I'd also say that I've gotten better at crashing over the years. If I can keep myself sports-ing at or around my limit, my crashes tend to be more or less manageable.

And yeah, stretching.

aim for mid-rad.

You don't want to be the jacked up old 1-ton spilling smoke out the back with two brand new sleds on the deck, but goes home to eat ramen alone.
    You don't want to be the subaru with the light carbon skis that the shop guy recommended strapped to the roofrack, that only gets out every second sunday.
    You want to be the Tundra with a reliable sled in the back and a great pair of skis strapped to it, on the way home to an awesome family after skiing pow.

do cool shit. push yourself. but don't give up 3 other good things for pushing it too far at that one good thing.
    That's been the biggest change I needed to figure out into mid age.

Also... google Foundation Training.

Black Diamonds-- you should have taken a lesson from my HS tennis "coach", old Max Fulcher. He brought a lawn chair, an umbrella, a pitcher of lemon aid, and a newspaper to our matches. When it was over he'd ask us who won. It was rumored that he was a 4 year, 4 sport letterman at the same school but we found it hard to believe. That was in 1968. With a routine like that he might still be going.

I remember when I was 45...vaguely... I was able to pull on my socks in the morning without having to amble around for an hour to "loosen up" enough to do it without blinding pain from my low back...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Alot to say about hot and freezing cold showers and inversion tables can also be therapeutic.

Don't ever give up.
    Perpetually living in the thermo-neutral zone, at best, does you no favors. Temperature stress creates a hormonal response similar to exercise but without the wear-and-tear.

Last statement is the ultimate truth in here. You will decline, but the pace and degree of decline can be modified considerably. Listen to Charles Euster's (RIP) TED talk for inspiration.

ISBD - Jesus, that story is brutal.

At the risk of over sharing, I will share my experience this last year at (now) 54.
    In the last few years, I got much fitter, and simultaneously the bikes got better, and I actually got much more ‘daring’ on the bike.

I was diagnosed with really low testosterone about 18 months ago, so I started taking HGH for that. I also joined Strava at about this time. The endorphin reward of getting trophies (and even a few KOM’s on really long DH runs) proved ultimately to be dangerous. I spent the last year and a bit getting really pretty fast, then crashing spectacularly, riding over my head. Then I would recover, and repeat the process.

Since last November, I had
    A total knee replacement
    A torn calf
    Two broken ribs (first time)
    Mashed up shoulder
    More broken ribs (second time).

I knew this wasn’t sustainable, so I recently had some blood work done, and my t-levels were four times what they should have been.
    I am not really blaming the injuries on anything but poor judgement, but I believe my judgement was changed by the HGH, and the adrenaline. It was a crazy year!

Now I have reduced the HGH to a simple, normal level for my age. I also have a dedicated weight training program in order to get stronger and prevent injuries, and am starting some type of coaching for the fitness/cycling side.

I have nothing to prove, I know I can be fast, but the desire to let it all hang out for Strava glory has significantly diminished. My goal this year is a little slower, a LOT smoother, and overall more consistent. I want to get lost in the moment riding again, and not be concerned with the dopamine hit of the Strava ‘report’ at the end of a ride.

As a friend said, “you can’t win if you don’t finish”
    Not entirely sure how this helps the OP, but I wanted to honestly share my experiences with mid-life shredding, I hope it can help someone.

One other observation, I find that when I ride with a little THC, say, 5mg edibles, I tend to not be a slave to speed as much.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-15-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Time and money to ski/train > 100 days, 56 was the strongest best skier I ever was, shit started not working as well at >60
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think dantheman mentioned kelly starett somewhere in this thread too... The book “becoming a supple leopard” will only do good things for you. Buy some of the rehab devices like foam roller, lacrosse ball, voodoo band, etc. If you have trouble motivating yourself or planning out 10-20 mins of mobility work a day, flip to the back of the book and they’ve got multi-week programs targeted at pain or mobility issues specific to certain areas of the body. Also, lift more weights.

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supp.../dp/1628600837

the key is lots of pot and booze in moderation...and furious masterbation

and stretching, lots and lots of stretching

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Time and money to ski/train > 100 days, 56 was the strongest best skier I ever was, shit started not working as well at >60
    Curious if that’s consistent for other >60 year olds you talk to? I mean, I know everyone’s different and all. I’d give up a lot of pension $ retiring at 55 vs 60 but may be worth considering...

I wouldn't give a shit if I were you eat ass get hurt it don't matter in the end have fun
    or you could just be like the rest of the world post on the internet all day eat lots of shit food get fat don't drink a ton of soda and alcohol don't move much park the car as close to wall mart as you can get all bent about other people what they do don't do and don't have or have and don't realize how screwed your own body and life is seems to work well for a 90% of americans bikes and skis and being outside is overated
    the one day you'll be in a doctors office and they are gonna say something like your going to die and we are suprised you got this far then they will talk about how your body is failing on you and falling apart you'll goto the hospital alot the doctors office all the time you'll be on a bunch of pills then oxgen then you'll be waiting for the aortic anyrusim to happen and you'll be awake at night wondering if when you go will it take a couple minutes or like ten or twenty mintues to bleed out? sometimes you'll goto bed and wonder if your going to wake up in the morning

so bro fuckin send it go hard bad knees so what everyone has a broken collar bone send it cause when your on your death bed and your thinking man my shitty wall mart life damn I looked good on facebook at that picnic but I don't think I really lived a boss life like that guy out west who blew shit up every day on skis and bikes you wanna be that guy you wanna know it was worth it in the end

Still getting it done on the original equipment @ 67, although braced. Still on 3 pins but don't Telly much, can still bend the knee, it's getting back up that's where the fun begins.

Definitely stretching or yoga, also some sort of strength training, even if it's just push up, pull ups, lunges, etc. Not just to increase performance, but injury prevention and mitigation. Also anything that helps with balance.
    I'm around that age. My plan is to not dial it back at all, but to ride smarter. Things like avoiding flat landings or guinea pigging jumps, and not sending in sub-optimal conditions. I figure if I could do something last year, I can do it at least as hard this year. Once you let up off the throttle, you're probably not gonna get it back. I'm not ok with letting that happen. Yet.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crank View Post
    Curious if that’s consistent for other >60 year olds you talk to? I mean, I know everyone’s different and all. I’d give up a lot of pension $ retiring at 55 vs 60 but may be worth considering...
    I think its dependant on good genes AND being the guys who havent stopped going out and doing stuff

a couple of the bros I hang with and get into the odd avalanche with are 65+ and still out there, one of the guys just finished a 4 yr bike ride to tiera del fuego AND back,

another bro blew his achilles skiing and 9 months later biked to whitehorse which is a pretty big ride

same guy said" hey we are younger than everybody in the obits this week !"

the pro who cut on my ACL pointed at an xray and told me i got the knee of a teenager so thats good, ACL is doing awesume and i will be back slkiing next season, i will probably atemept to dial it down cuz i realize I just can't afford to be out with another injury cuz it could be the last ski injury

edit: i think fast fred is misssing his period ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well, he certainly is missing his punctuation.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It’s easier said than done to slow down. I think skiers especially can bounce back from injuries. Those biking crashes though.....