Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I remember reading some years ago that pre-agrarian cultures also got their daily sleep over more than one period, even in summer. I like naps, and they form a big part of my vacation time, which is largely spent camping away from the daily routine. Damn modern 7-5 workdays. I have no idea how my wife does 12hr shifts at the hospital, especially at night. It takes her about 36-48hrs after to recover from a spell of those night shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Non-scientific but, if I stop with THC I have a very hard time relaxing and falling asleep for about 10-14 days. Busy mind and toss & turn.

When I get past that I begin to dream vividly. When I am on the THC I dream but cannot remember the dreams for the life of me.

@ OG, naps are a great part of getting older.
    not just for the old. My kid was napping in class in HS. Voted most likely to fall asleep during graduation. And this was a kid who refused to nap in kindergarten so they late him play quietly when the other kids slept. I used to sleep in college calculus, right in front of the professor. I don't know why I bothered going to class--guess I thought I might miss something. I still aced every quiz and exam, not a single wrong answer all semester. I should have gone farther in math but like I said, it put me to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I remember reading some years ago that pre-agrarian cultures also got their daily sleep over more than one period, even in summer. I like naps, and they form a big part of my vacation time, which is largely spent camping away from the daily routine. Damn modern 7-5 workdays. I have no idea how my wife does 12hr shifts at the hospital, especially at night. It takes her about 36-48hrs after to recover from a spell of those night shifts.
    My other kid is still a resident. He came to visit us and spent most of the time sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yeah, that sounds right, though i thought it was earlier than that- like middle ages type of thing? IDK.
    Could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

So, for now I'd say weed's overall effect on sleep is net-neutral, though I would avoid taking more than a couple tokes close to bed time.

eta: For you personally, ZZZ, I'd probably be more concerned about pulling espresso shots late in the day. Caffeine after 2-3 pm is definitely not good.
    This is good news, because in 4 years I plan on a few months of basically becoming Willie, before settling into moderation.

As far as espresso/coffee, I usually have my last one of the day around 7am. I'm pretty strict about no caffeine after that, occasionally a green tea but even that is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Ski Hard.

Don't Fall.

Be Home for Dinner with the Family.

Everything else is gravy.
    Once yer past 45, if you eat gravy, yer gunna die!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Non-scientific but, if I stop with THC I have a very hard time relaxing and falling asleep for about 10-14 days. Busy mind and toss & turn.

When I get past that I begin to dream vividly. When I am on the THC I dream but cannot remember the dreams for the life of me.

@ OG, naps are a great part of getting older.
    same here except a much shorter period of toss and turn. Been unemployed since thanksgiving. Naps have become an awesome alternative to a couple day beers.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    same here except a much shorter period of toss and turn. Been unemployed since thanksgiving. Naps have become an awesome alternative to a couple day beers.
    Had a couple periods of unemployment, 2009-12 and recently Nov18-Mar19. Kids largely outta the house or regular schedules at school, naps and sex.

Someone said the unemployed have more sex. I am guessing if one has a good “package”, taking some time isn’t a bad thing!

And the naps after a romp can be pretty .... deep.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Once yer past 45, if you eat gravy, yer gunna die!
    At 55, I'm drowning in Gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    This is good news, because in 4 years I plan on a few months of basically becoming Willie, before settling into moderation.

As far as espresso/coffee, I usually have my last one of the day around 7am. I'm pretty strict about no caffeine after that, occasionally a green tea but even that is rare.
    "basically becoming Willie" Hah!

I was mostly just making a joke about your recent espresso nerdism.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 01-21-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Or like the Spaniards still do.

I don't see how the concept of a siesta hasn't taken hold elsewhere really.
    Live Free or Die

Ski Hard.

Don't Fall.

Don’t Fall is my mantra this season. Recovery from shoulder surgery for multiple issues. Just not allowed to fall. At all. So, skiing moderately for now. Hard will come again.

I was mostly just making a joke about you're recent espresso nerdism.
    Espresso nerdism is redundant (says this espresso semi-nerd).

I was mostly just making a joke about your recent espresso nerdism.
    Definitely nerding out a bit lately. It actually started in an attempt to drink less coffee. Seems to working, one or two good drinks is more satisfying than sitting and sipping mediocre coffee for two hours each morning.

New Dr. orientation last Tuesday:
    Dr.: So, alcohol, how much do you drink?
    plug: 2 glasses of wine a day.
    Dr.: It would be nice to cut that down to 1.
    plug: Yeah, well that ain’t happening.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Least you were honest. I think most people lie to their Doc when asked about that one.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

How do you know he was honest?

2 is the new 5
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Least you were honest. I think most people lie to their Doc when asked about that one.
    That would be a fun time to have Hunter S. Thompson’s daily routine memorized.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Totally, what a bunch of pussies!

But seriously, I'm working through this now. It's been a painful two weeks but I'm almost there.

Minor setback.

As far as slowing WAY down as some mentioned.........I don't think I can do that. Not yet anyways. I'm a lifer, an addict and I don't think I can live without it at some level.

Yoga? No thanks. That stuff is way too Woo for me. Stretching though, yeah I need more of that. Other than that I'll stick with consuming whiskey and the blood of virgins and hope for the best.
    Yeah, thru our mutual Village friends, I think I know the type of person you are. Honestly, just dumb luck by where I am geographically has made it easier to 'try' and step it back on the bike and on the hill. Our biking is tighter and more techy, keeping the speeds down and the same for skiing. I'm constantly in tight trees, so an auto speed check. We do have park style mtb riding in which I've scared myself by pushing it, so it still can happen, but I don't want to get hurt anymore. It sucks.

And I just started doing yoga and it's not just stretching. The shit is hard and works different muscles. It really feels good. I wish I had started years ago. This dude Tim on youtube is a surfer and has a good vibe. I also do a lot of body resistance stuff...pushups, pullup, squat, lunge type stuff. And I've been doing general stretching, especially legs, forever now, inspired by a photog in Jackson way back.

Change is good man.

Ski Hard.

Don't Fall.

I never fell, still tore ACL.

Shit, my last knee injury was a slip and fall in the ski area parking lot.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    now I'm putting on some weight that'll likely help cause the next one.
    that's the spirit!
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Totally, what a bunch of pussies!

But seriously, I'm working through this now. It's been a painful two weeks but I'm almost there.

Minor setback.

As far as slowing WAY down as some mentioned.........I don't think I can do that. Not yet anyways. I'm a lifer, an addict and I don't think I can live without it at some level.

Yoga? No thanks. That stuff is way too Woo for me. Stretching though, yeah I need more of that. Other than that I'll stick with consuming whiskey and the blood of virgins and hope for the best.
    You don’t have to dial it WAY back, just leave enough margin to overcome a minor mistake or if shit happens.
    Recuperation takes longer as you age - it’s your reward for surviving to this point.
    Better to ride/ski 90% of the season at 90% intensity, than 100% for half the season & recuperation/rehab for the other half.

Whisky and virgins are good for off days. In moderation of course.

My yoga comment is half joking. The woo scene definitely makes me cringe a little but I can see it's benefits. In reality I'm too lazy to commit to yoga. It is what it is.

I have dialed it back mostly, or at least until the moments where I don't.

I think it's hard to slow down. For my whole life I have sort of identified myself as this something and it's very challenging to adjust to different stages. It's like losing your identity or religion or something equally as dramatic sounding....or not, I guess. I don't know.

Poor me, poor me.............fuck that, pour me some bourbon!

We're about to get some down here this week. Some pow skiing is in order to change my spirits. Ski y'all later!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

my Yogini told me she decided some of those yoga influencer types are wooey/batshit crazy, Bikram would be a prime example and some other guroovey types doing the 1 year silent retreats and what not

as a result she has gone in a more somatic direction which just sticks with the moves

IME even the totally easy manyoga (it should roll off your tongue) class once week will keep me out of PT, its suprising how not very much yoga will keep me fixed up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know