Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

two hikers are lucky to be alive after falling 500 ft. on the Tuckerman Ravine headwa

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

No mention of wolves or lost 9mm handguns? I'm disappointed.

Friend of mine was killed falling down Tuckerman headwall one December when it looked like that. We had hiked Lion's Head trail to the Alpine Garden where I turned around due to high winds. He made it to the summit and then descended Tuckerman. He had climbed it the previous year in December when it was filled in early and I guess he thought it would make a quick descent. Karl was an ex Marine Seal, had done the Marine Mountain Warfare Training Center at Sonora Pass in the Sierra. I worked for him on the weekends--he took down dead elm trees. The only 6'4, 250 pound tree climber I ever saw.

That looks like a technical ice climbing route right now and these kids were using micro spikes and regular hiking poles..........jeezus christ.

I'd hate to slip and slide (hopefully not bouncing too much) my way down through that thing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    That looks like a technical ice climbing route right now and these kids were using micro spikes and regular hiking poles..........jeezus christ.

I'd hate to slip and slide (hopefully not bouncing too much) my way down through that thing.
    Had a high school class mate who was a really good cross country runner who died when he slipped and fell on the edge of a snow field. Pitch was probably just over 30 degrees and the snow field was probably about 400 yards wide. He was just running in sneakers, shorts and a shirt. He wasn't able to slow down, and then hit a scree field at the bottom. Died of internal injuries.

I don't think most people appreciate what can go wrong when dealing with snow and ice an a steep pitch.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Hiking to the Brewery seems much safer
    New beer release tomorrow!
    Substantial Whimsy is a 6.5% chocolate orange porter brewed with the magic of chaotic absurdity.
    Inspired by the flavors of the classic candies and brought to life with original label art by Robert Marx.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tucksbeer2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	358071  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sounds like a winner WW...what town is ouyr brewery located? cool label!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter65 View Post
    Sounds like a winner WW...what town is ouyr brewery located? cool label!!
    Conway. closet thing to a mt town we have in the east
    great beer
    https://tuckermanbrewing.com/our-bre...-room-taps.php
    check out that artist, too.
    Marx
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/9284048...AKJyjCEWFCkiwU
    not shilling, just a fan. very cool stuff

I watched a woman slip at the top of convex a slow field in July on Helens. She slid 500ft into volcanic rock. Took 8 hours to get her stable and flown out in a chopper. She then went on good morning america and said her dog saved her life. I guess she was big on instagram.....

Holy crap that looks thin. I've only been to Tucks once, in the spring, and all that was skiable. It's amazing how much snow blows into that bowl.

worked a trauma in ER of a young woman who fell at the top of a long steeple chase run and bounced off moguls to the bottom. pretty much a bag of broken bones. very sad and hopeless endeavor. wishing this drought will ease off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    was an ex Marine Seal
    Huh ?

No such thing. Did your friend describe his military service using those terms ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    worked a trauma in ER of a young woman who fell at the top of a long steeple chase run and bounced off moguls to the bottom. pretty much a bag of broken bones. very sad and hopeless endeavor. wishing this drought will ease off soon.

Thin and bulletproof would be an accurate way to describe conditions right now. It's just like skiing in the east, except there's more dirt-stained hardpack and less yellow/grey ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Huh ?

No such thing. Did your friend describe his military service using those terms ?

Haha, yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Huh ?

The term he used was Underwater Demolition Team--I used Seals because it's a term people use now. The UDT's were more strictly divers. I'm not sure exactly when he served--late 50's early 60s. If he joined the Marines at 18 that would have been 1956. He would have been in the Marines in '59 because as a turnkey at the Camp Lejeune brig he encountered Lee Harvey Oswald who left the Marines in Sept '59. Karl didn't tell me whether he was ever involved in any combat related operations. He was 36 when he died--unmarried, no kids.

A resident I worked with was also in the UDT, mining Haiphong Harbor in about 1960. John also died too young--he became a heart surgeon and died in a private plane crash. Doctors make lousy pilots. The Seals started in 1962.

Marines can go to BUDS and then onto UDT or SEAL teams.

I have a buddy that people think was a a SEAL. He was actually a Navy swimmer, still bad ass but he's not gonna let the myth die. Just because you worked at Harvard or MiT doesn't mean you were a student there. He works with Veterans now, which is pretty noble.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I have a buddy that people think was a a SEAL. He was actually a Navy swimmer, still bad ass but he's not gonna let the myth die. Just because you worked at Harvard or MiT doesn't mean you were a student there. He works with Veterans now, which is pretty noble.
    If A Perfect Storm is even half realistic bad ass doesn't even begin to cover it. My kid has a couple of friends that are AF pararescue. That sounds like fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If A Perfect Storm is even half realistic bad ass doesn't even begin to cover it. My kid has a couple of friends that are AF pararescue. That sounds like fun too.
    my kitesurfing bud was an EMT on a medivac heli. that kind of intensity wears you down.

Not a Navy Seal, just an admirer...like the beer comment earlier(an admirer ;-) ...some friends run this brew pub down the road from you WW...to be fair i've not had a chance to quaff any of their product, but I suspect they know what they are doing...have you paid a visit?

Rek-lis Brewing Co, Bethlehem, NH

Not a Navy Seal, just an admirer...like the beer comment earlier(an admirer ;-) ...some friends run this brew pub down the road from you WW...to be fair i've not had a chance to quaff any of their product, but I suspect they know what they are doing...have you paid a visit?

They put out some tasty brews. Too bad Covid has made crossing state lines to visit their (now expanded) brewpub inadvisable.
    I've put on a lot of miles chasing the founder on bikes and skis.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    They put out some tasty brews. Too bad Covid has made crossing state lines to visit their (now expanded) brewpub inadvisable.
    I've put on a lot of miles chasing the founder on bikes and skis.
    Andy?

Haven't really spent any time in the valley the last few seasons. We used to get kegs of tucks for parties. way back, build a sled to haul a keg up to the ravine for a party.
    Conway is a bit of a hike from whereI live on cape cod. BUT....my last beer gig was repping for ...Down The Road in Boston( everett , actually)
    great beer , great people but sadly our good buddy Donavan Bailey, Brew Master and the mastermind behind DTR passed away about 18 months ago and DTR slowly folded. Good news is, Aeronaut took it over and the stoke lives on. Nikki Rossignol did all the kickass artwork on the cans
    https://www.instagram.com/nikrossignolillustrations/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZwUVMdFA4t/
    I still DO WORK in promo for Cisco on Nantucket, so the last 20 years or so. Covid put the kabosh on beer events and in store tastings , which was my forte. Cisco Soldiers, quite a team of us.
    yesterday, my buddy brought me the promo poster from the last event we did at the brewery on Nantucket.
    Levitate Flannel Jam
    https://www.levitateflanneljam.com/
    It's been in his van since october of 2019. Bluegrass concert and many beers and cocktails, 420 and FUN FUN FUN. Lots of flannel flyin'
    stop by the facility in Portsmouth NH on your way to Conway, the old Redhook facility.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtrpinball.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	276.2 KB 
ID:	358678  
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by willywhit; 01-19-2021 at 10:36 AM.

One New Years eve me and the hut boy packed a bunch of cases of beer* up to the Harvard Cabin in Huntington Ravine, but it was just cheap beer. Good beer hadn't been invented yet, at least not in the U S of A.

*How many you ask. At the time I think it was a case each. But over the years the numbers have increased--I think it's up to 6 cases each.

I will just say it is possible to maneuver a B.O.B. trailer with a keg on it
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 2.18.12 PM.png
Views: 1298
Size:  832.0 KB
    Not my picture, but I was involved with some shenanigans that produced similar results, cool stories Willy, the craft beer world is really really cool and creative...big fan